Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Why would a kick up rudder snap?

Author Why would a kick up rudder snap?
Joe McCormack
Rockville centre, NY

Boat Name: Wind Passer

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1982

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Cutchogue
08/03/2017 6:49 PM Pacific Time

I have a Catalina 22 with a kick up rudder and it just snapped off yesterday. It was not the stongest wind that I have sailed in, so I don't understand why is would break. Now I need a replacement kick up rudder, do you have any suggestions?

Joe from Cutchogue NY
Kevin M. Morton
Sacramento, Ca

Boat Name: Serenity

Model/Year: 1976 C27SR

Hull No. 2366

Hailing Port: Richmond, Ca
08/04/2017 9:02 AM Pacific Time

Hello Joe.

There are several reasons why that might happen. I'll mention a few that come to mind. First of all, I am assuming that you have a factory fiberglass rudder. The blade is a fiberglass clamshell over a foam core. If there is any damage to the glass, like along the seam, then water can get in and cause the foam to expand, splitting the rudder blade. If you were sailing with the rudder blade partially up, then there is MUCH more force exerted on it, which could cause it to snap. The factory designed kickup rudder system is particularly vulnerable to this mode of failure, as it relies on friction to hold the blade down, making it easy for the blade to creep up from its proper fully down position. Simple old age could have also caused it. Anything made by man eventually fails, given enough time. Doubtless there are other things that could have caused it as well. I hope this helps!

Kevin

_/)_

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Why would a kick up rudder snap?