Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / bilge pump location

Author bilge pump location
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Boat Name: no name yet

Model/Year: 1988 wing keel

Hull No. #14444

Hailing Port: Bayport NY
04/03/2004 5:13 PM Pacific Time

I had brought up this topic early last year about the need for a bilge pump at all? My boat doesnt have one. Then put off the job for a year. Now I am faced with completing the job. My question is....How is the easiest way to mount a bilge pump outlet thru-hull in the transom? I either need to find someone really small, who is not claustrophobic, to shimmy thru the small hole behind the cooler, and then continue to shimmy under the cock pit back to the transom, to drill the hole or find an easier way. Is there something that I am missing in this installation?

Thanks in advance
Steve
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
04/03/2004 6:34 PM Pacific Time

On the new style, the space behind the port settee is not that small. I've been in it several times. I'd drill the hole from the outside, then hook up the hose from the inside.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
04/03/2004 6:37 PM Pacific Time

I have an older model, but I ran my outlet line along the intersection of the cockpit seat and the side of the cockpit inside on the port side. (Think of it being inside the lazerette area under your knees). I have a Whale pump mounted to the underside of the port cockpit seat, near the cabin bulkhead. I drilled a hole in the transom in line with the location of the discharge line. It is well above the waterline.
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Hull No. #14444

04/03/2004 8:25 PM Pacific Time

Hi Mike,
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't the area behind the port settee a 'finished' compartment? Are you suggesting cutting through the interior shell to get to the fiberglass hull?
I dont have a problem with doing that. In fact the thought had crossed my mind. I was just wondering if that is what you mean? I had also considered possibly going that route and exiting a thru-hull high inside the fuel compartment on the port side.? I figured if ever I had a problem, it could run out the cockpit scuppers.

Thanks
Steve
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
04/04/2004 5:47 AM Pacific Time

When I first uncovered Chip Ahoy last spring and did a thorough inspection, the very first thing I noted with alarm was ... it had no bilge pump! Every boat I'd ever owned or sailed on had a bilge pump. That became my very first project.

This was before my digital camera days, so I had no photos. Just for you Steve, early this morning I went out and did some photo-journalism. Thus having an excuse to open up Chip Ahoy's cover before today's impending (snow?) storm, I got to install my newly-refinished cribboards that I've been meaning to do!

For a step-by-step of my experience from last year, go to the Chip Ahoy website (link below) and click on the link, new this morning: "Installing a Bilge Pump".

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
04/04/2004 6:03 AM Pacific Time

Yes, my factory installed bilge pump exits in a hole next to the motor mount, cut through the finished compartment wall.
Steve Morgan
Bayport , NY

Hull No. #14444

04/04/2004 6:18 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the pics Chip. Now I know what I'll be doing next weekend. Last year I already mounted the pump and float switch and wiring, I just never ran the hose. Sort of ironic if I had really needed it, to have all that stuff hooked up but not operational!!

Thanks to all
Steve
---Turk ---
Canfield, Ohio

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Mosquito Lake, N.E. Ohio
04/04/2004 8:04 PM Pacific Time

"Yes, my factory installed bilge pump exits in a hole next to the motor mount, cut through the finished compartment wall"

Could you take a picture or describe the exact location?
Looking to add this to my boat also, bought the parts, just need the location of the through hull.

Turk
Tom Nadeau
Port St. Lucie, FL.

Boat Name: Finalee

Model/Year: C22/ 1982

Hull No. 11178

Hailing Port: Port St. Lucie, FL.
08/05/2004 9:31 AM Pacific Time

I just purchased a '78 and am in the middle of doing all the fun things necessary to get her seaworthy again after many years of neglect (keel pin, cable, rigging, etc, etc, etc.). She is my 2nd 22, but it's been 15 yrs. since the first one and back then I never new this site existed. It's just TOO cool! One of my projects is installing a bilge pump, as it doesn't have one (scary). My question is, why can't the outlet line be tied into the cockpit drain line. It seems it would make life really simple... looping it up above the water line before tying it in would make for a safe installation, I would think. Any thoughts?
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
08/05/2004 1:30 PM Pacific Time

I like that idea. I think I could cut into the sink drain on my C22, 1986.
Question, where did you order parts from for this project?
Sonny Harrison
Jonesville, La.

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 22'/1983

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Black River Lake
08/08/2004 6:13 PM Pacific Time

Chip,

What a great Web site you have. While looking at it I reviewed your remoting of the halyards, etc. to the cockpit. Without buying a new Mast step (as shown) is there other alternatives??? Thanks.

Sonny
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/09/2004 6:55 AM Pacific Time

Yes there are, but they are all inferior to the mast plate. Invest in one. It is money well spent if you intend to route any lines away from the mast.
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
08/09/2004 5:34 PM Pacific Time

In regards to bildge pump instalation: I am no expert on the subject however I believe that it is necessary to have a section of the drain hose distal to the pump arched up as high as possible to prevent reverse siphoning of water back into the boat when in high seas. I had a friend with such a problem which required correcting. Perhaps someone else has some input on the subject.
Philip

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / bilge pump location