Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rotten stringer in hull bilge

Author Rotten stringer in hull bilge
Chad Vicknair
New Orleans, LA

Boat Name: Hope Floats

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. CTYH66727M76L

Hailing Port: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans
04/07/2004 1:37 PM Pacific Time

Hi,
I have a 1975 Catalina 22, last year I did a bottom job and repaired some blistering. The bottom was taken down to the glass and I applied 10 coats of barrier expoxy followed by several layer of anti-foul. The hull and bottom look great. However, after sailing this past weekend and taking on a little water, I noticed while drying the bilge that the floor was "breathing" when I pushed against it. Further inspection reaveals that the wooden stringers that run along either side of the keel grove from bow to stern are rotten and holding water. My initial thought was to pull the deck off and remove the liner to can unobstructed access to the hull interior. Catalina 22 informed me however that the deck is bonded to the hull as well as the 300+ fasteners around the rubrail. So, it seems I am going to have to cut the liner out. Has anyone had this problem ? and how did you approach it. Should I address it immediately ? are can I wait until winter .... appreciate any input or experience anyone can offer, thanks, Chad..... " Hope Floats", New Orleans LA
mark miller
deatsville al

Boat Name: blue heron

Model/Year: catalina 22 1977

Hull No. 7309

Hailing Port: lake jordan
04/18/2004 5:08 PM Pacific Time

Chad, I've got the same problem with my 77 but I hav'nt gotten around to addressing that job. Does your cabin sole kind of squish when you walk on it, like there's water traped between the liner and the hull? I've just painted the topsides and the bottom, but there was no sign of blistering. Looking forward to seeing what solutions come up.
Chad Vicknair
New Orleans, LA

Boat Name: Hope Floats

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. CTYH66727M76L

Hailing Port: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans
06/12/2004 1:59 AM Pacific Time

Hi Mark,
Well, I decided to address the problem because in time the trapped water will cause blisters on the hull. Water will react with the polyester resin and form acid and delamination will begin. I cut out the liner from the mast support aft to the volcano, starboard along the seat at the base and port about half way across the table seats and floor area. I also had to cut the floor space out separately because it is embedded in a thick layer of some thermoplastic looking compound. Had to take floor out in little pieces, very time consuming. I used a dremel with a carbide grout bit. Once the liner was up, I was able to peel off the top layer of glass over the wood and yes it was totally rotten and water logged. The wooden stringer on each side is about 14" wide and runs from just aft of the cockpit drain all the way to the mast support. I am still in the process of cleaning up the sole and preparing for replacement. I will use fiber glass panels instead of wood. I am also considering leaving the portion of liner I cut out, out and redesigning the interior like the newer Cat 22's with a bench seat on either side and only a small table over the keel trunk. I will post more as I run into challenges... Chad
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
06/12/2004 6:39 AM Pacific Time

Hey Chad,
Any chance of getting you to take pictures of this as you go? Lots of people would love to see this area.

Ken
don nelson
St. Petersburg, Florida

Boat Name: Blue Horizion

Model/Year: 22/1980

Hull No. 9713

Hailing Port: ST. PETERSBURG, FL.
11/04/2004 9:53 AM Pacific Time

Hi chad, i have the same problem with rotten hull stiffners and stringers. Do you think if i cut out the floor section under the table will give me access to do the stringer repair? i also have starboard side stiffner rot along with the stiffner under the cockpit drain lines. Good idea of replacing the wood with glas panels. ......don
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
10/04/2006 10:03 AM Pacific Time

Like Chad (and many other C22 owners), I too have rotten bilge stringers. Like Chad did, I am toying with the idea of cutting out the floor of the liner to expose the stringers (Someone asked pictures of the Chad's project. Are any available?) However, if I cut the floor liner, I am tempted to remove the whole liner to expose the whole inner hull. Has anyone tried this, or can it be done? Has anyone removed the cabin-top liner to expose the underside of the deck?
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
10/04/2006 11:59 AM Pacific Time

Tim, How extensive is the rotten plywood stringer(s). Besides the two along the keel trunk, there should also be one on each side of the aft end of the hull. I would not remove the entire liner. From what I have been told, the liner adds structural integrity to the hull, so removing all of it could be catastrophic. The mast load is distributed along the entire cross section of the hull and liner (bulkheads, etc.).

If the rot is minimum, you could use a product called Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES). One source is the Rot Doctor (rotdoctor.com). Check it out, it might work for you.

As a side note, it appears that Catalina did not start using plywood stringers until 1975 or there about. I have a salvage hull #4623, 1974 where the hull is solid fiberglass. No wood anywhere in the hull except where the deck/hull joint is.

Peter
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/05/2006 6:06 AM Pacific Time

Tim,

I have never done this on a sailboat but a friend who ran a fiberglass boat repair shop out of one of my farm buildings helped me with my power boat several years ago. The upper part of the boat is screwed or riveted to the hull behind the rubrail. If you remove the rub rail, you can separate the upper works. I don't know how the inner liner is attached but at the factory they probably just set it in place inside the hull. Having done some of this work, I will tell you that unless you are really into this stuff, it is a tremendous amount of work, and not easy work at that.

Good luck

Greg
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
10/05/2006 12:33 PM Pacific Time

Tim, to add to Greg's comment. The Deck/Hull joint is screwed together behind the vinyl rub rail. However, it is also bonded with an adhesive sealant. This will separate in some places fairly easily depending on how good a job they did, and in other places not that successful. The C-22 I mentioned before has been an eduction. I was able to separate and lift off the forward portion of the deck (companion way bulkhead to the bow). The back half of the deck would not separate from the hull. Mind you, the deck does not come in sections. I just cut it where it wouldn't separate any more. I used an old, thin, 6 inch wide drywall knife (putty knife) which had a fairly sharp edge on it from use, and a 24 oz. hammer. Again, the front half separated surprisingly easy. Each boat is going to be different. I can send you pictures if you like.

Peter
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
10/05/2006 3:19 PM Pacific Time

I would be interested in the photos. Send them to [email protected] Thanks.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
10/07/2006 1:24 PM Pacific Time

Peter, if it isn't too much trouble, I would like to see the photos also. nortonmcelroy25 at hotmail.com (Please put the @ back in)
Our 1979 swing keel model had this problem. I removed all of the plywood that was accessible under the winch compartment. By the time I got it cut away up to the liner under the dinette floor, the ply was looking pretty solid. I replaced the rear plywood with top quality marine plywood and glassed over it all with a big filet at the liner. Of course, I couldn't really tell what was going on under the floor, so I am just hoping for the best. Thank you.

Joe McElroy
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/08/2006 11:54 AM Pacific Time

Guys, working on a boat to this level has to be a labor of love. Good luck with the project.

Greg

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Rotten stringer in hull bilge