Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / CD KIT INSTRUCTIONS

Author CD KIT INSTRUCTIONS
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
04/16/2004 3:08 AM Pacific Time

After a frustrating three-days wrestling with installation of the CD Spreader Kit, Dick King, skipper of Jagged Edge, responded to my complaining over the lack of instructions with a great positive suggestion:

"Here is an idea to consider. How about if those of us who have already or who are about to install a CD kit, write the instructions and post them to the CD "clubhouse" in a topic area called pending instructions. CD folks could review them and move them to a topic area called kit instructions. Lowell could add something to the effect of "use at your own risk" tp answer any liability questions. That way the experienced could give something back to CD in the form of technical writing and the ClubHouse would offer a resource for us all."

So my first shot at providing step-by-step instructions from my experience will follow.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Hull No. CTY032820374

04/16/2004 3:09 AM Pacific Time

Oval Spreader Bracket Set w/compression tube
Part #: D109B

PARTS:

2 - Spreader Brackets w/Tang
4 - Clevis Pins
1 - Mast Compression Tube
4 - 3/32 X 1" SS Cotter Pins
2 - 1/8 X 2" SS Cotter Pins
2 - 5/16-18 Nylock Nuts
2 - 5/16-18 X 4" Hex Head Cap Screws (Warning: I discovered that 4" was too long and had to replace them with 3 1/2" length.)

STEPS:

1) Remove the spreaders. Mark the old spreaders "P" (port) and "S" (starboard) with arrows pointing forward.

2) Remove the old spreader brackets (six screws each).

3) Align new spreader brackets over the six holes on both sides of mast, perfectly opposite each other, and mark center holes. Remove brackets.

4) Center-punch marks on mast. Using 1/8" drill bit, drill pilot holes.

5) Using progressively larger drill bits up to 1/4", widen holes until bit is long enough to reach through mast to hole on opposite side. Drill through opposite side hole.

6) Finally, using a 5/16" bit, drill from one side through mast to other side.

Now you are ready to attach the hardware.

7) Attach the compression tube to a length of garden hose or narrow PVC pipe at least 14'long. (I used garden hose: I drilled a 1/2" hole an inch down from its bare end, inserted the compression tube, slit the hose from its end to the tube on each side of the hose, then wrapped the end with a thin rubber band; but I'm told the tube can be taped to the end of a PVC pipe as well. Remember, when you're done, the hose/pipe must be removed leaving the compression tube behind, attached to the mast.)

8) Measure the distance from the mast base to the 5/16" holes you just drilled, then measure it on the hose/pipe and mark it, so when it's inside the mast you can tell when the compression tube has reached the bracket hole.

9) Feed the hose/pipe up through the base of the mast (be aware of any interior mast wiring) until the mark on the hose/pipe aligns with the mast base.

10) With a helper working the hose/pipe at the mast base, move to the spreader hole you drilled. Using an awl or thin screw driver as your helper works the hose/pipe, find the compression tube through the hole. Once you do, insert a 5/16" hex head cap screw into the hole, through the tube, and out the opposite hole. Fasten the Nylock nut just tight enough to hold the bolt in place.

11) Align the brackets against the mast, mark the higher holes, then pivot the brackets out of the way.

12) Follow steps 4 through 6 above, then insert second 5/16" hex head cap screw into the hole. Tighten both Nylock nuts. (This is where I found my bolts to be 1/2" too long.)

13) Remove the old cotter pins/clevis pins from the old brackets -- one at a time -- and attach them appropriately to the new brackets on the mast (remember, you marked the old brackets in Step 1) using the new 1" cotter pins.

14) Remove the hose/pipe from the mast base by firmly pulling until it breaks free from the compression tube.

15) Attach the spreaders using the new 2" cotter pins.

Congratulations, project accomplished!

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
http://cltg.org/chip_ahoy/

Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Hull No. CTY032820374

04/16/2004 3:58 AM Pacific Time

Step 10 should read:

10) With a helper working the hose/pipe at the mast base, place a new bracket with the spreader hole over the hole you drilled. Using an awl or thin screw driver as your helper works the hose/pipe, find the compression tube through the bracket and hole. Once you do, insert a 5/16" hex head cap screw into the bracket/mast hole, through the tube, and out the opposite hole. Attach the opposing bracket over the bolt and fasten the Nylock nut just tight enough to hold the brackets and bolt in place.

Chip Ford --
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Hull No. CTY032820374

04/16/2004 4:37 AM Pacific Time

Apparently I'm not quite ready for prime time!

Step 1 should read:

1) Remove the spreaders. Mark the old spreader *brackets* "P" (port) and "S" (starboard) with arrows pointing forward.

Chip Ford --

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / CD KIT INSTRUCTIONS