Standing Rigging / Spars

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / corroded mast

Author corroded mast
Philip Gresham
Lewisville, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Cat 22/1972

Hull No. 3165

Hailing Port: Lake Lewisville
04/19/2004 1:17 PM Pacific Time

I have a '72 Cat. 22, and the top of the mast, where the mast head is inserted, has been damaged by corrosion. The boat is currently in storage and I would like to know if I could cut about half an inch off the top and reset the mast head without having to by all new rigging, as it is new.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
04/19/2004 4:16 PM Pacific Time

You might be able to use the same rigging if you cut an inch off. Another option is to put a 1" spacer under the mast step to make the mast the same height again.
Philip Gresham
Lewisville, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Cat 22/1972

Hull No. 3165

Hailing Port: Lake Lewisville
04/20/2004 7:39 AM Pacific Time

Thanks Michael. I will try a spacer if I cut off more than I can chew.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
09/24/2004 9:18 PM Pacific Time

I cut about an inch off of the bottom end because it was chewed up. Then, I put a 2 inch spacer under the tabernacle. My rigging was a little long, and this allowed enough adjustment on the stays to rake the mast aft more. It also accomplished being able to lower the mast without hitting the sliding hatch (which used to threaten to pull up the tabernacle) without having a really high mast crutch.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
09/25/2004 6:16 AM Pacific Time

Joe - Just out of curiosity, if you cut one inch off the mast, but raised the remainder two inches, how is rigging a little too long? I hope you are a cruiser, not a racer. Under class rules,the block can only be one inch. How old is the rigging? Maybe itis time for new rigging.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
09/25/2004 8:59 AM Pacific Time

I doubt that the rigging would stretch an inch. Has the compression post sagged, causing the cabin top (and therefore mast step) to be low?
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
09/25/2004 1:41 PM Pacific Time

I did the mod a couple of years ago. Thinking back, it seems like I new there was a problem with the racing rules. Don't really remember. The backstay has about 3/4 inch of threads showing on each end and the forestay (a quick release) is at the longest setting (top hole).

The rigging was a little on the long side when I started, with the backstay screwed in most of the way and the forestay at the shortest setting, I think. I didn't have any adjustment left in backstay to be able to get the mast rake right.

The block has been a good thing for us. With a relatively short mast crutch, the mast nicely clears the hatch while still attached to the tabernacle. There were scars in the hatch from the previous interference. The low crutch allows the boat into the shop, through a 9 foot high door.

Standing Rigging / Spars
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Standing Rigging / Spars / corroded mast