Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Securing cabin table

Author Securing cabin table

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
04/20/2004 10:41 AM Pacific Time

Some time back (either here or on another Catalina 22 forum) someone posted a picture of their cabin/galley table secured with quick release ball lock type pins. I would like to ask some questions of the guy who posted the pic if he is out there. I believe I also saw, at a later date, another post from the same guy where he had posted pictures of his forward shrouds where he used the same pins to secure the shrouds when stepping his mast. If anyone can point me to this fellow I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
05/02/2004 7:46 AM Pacific Time

I bought the cam table locks from CD & it does keep the table inplace, I stand on it to adjust the vang, down haul, & pole.

I bought quick release pins from CD also for the foward Shrouds, (the tab kind without the spring ball locks.)

Hope this helps, _B
Russ Milham
Lake Forest Park, WA

Boat Name: Griot

Model/Year: C-22 1981

Hull No. CTYH0492M811

Hailing Port: Kenmore Air Harbor
05/03/2004 5:36 PM Pacific Time

You might be thinking of me (not sure). I dropped a pic of my ball-lock cabin table mod at the end of the page of pictures relating to my Raymarine autopilot install. Just got back from an overnight cruise and both worked great.

http://www.rilinterface.com/leanto/tillerpilot/

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/04/2004 6:57 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone have a picture of the stock leg that holds up the end of the table not connected to the cabin edge? I am sure that mine is not stock and I am curious what the stock unit looks like.
Thanks
Bob
Louis
Mobile, AL.

Boat Name: Moon-Raine

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Mobile, Al.
02/06/2006 5:54 PM Pacific Time

Bob, you can look at the top of the page and to the right, click on "store", then scroll to the catalina 22 and after clicking on that page, click on "Cabin". On that page, there is a picture of what your looking for ($27.50) for the leg, and 17.95 for the wall supports.
Louis
Mobile, AL.

Boat Name: Moon-Raine

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Mobile, Al.
02/06/2006 5:59 PM Pacific Time

Bob, there is also the undertable latch assembly sold by CD at the store under the heading "cabin" Interior, second page.
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
02/24/2006 5:51 PM Pacific Time

This may be a "duh-daddy" question.. But has anyone drilled the holes for the pin with the table on? It would seem that the alignment would be exact. My concerns are" the drill bit may walk around making the effort difficult with unpredictable results -and- that the force of the drill going through the last mounting plate and fiberglass could create some more unpredictable reults.

Yes, I am trying to avoid removing all of the hardware and using a drill press..
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
02/24/2006 6:27 PM Pacific Time

Blain, I drilled some holes in the stainless mast step, and I expect the technique I used would work for the hole you want to drill in the table latch.

Use a brand new bullet tip drill bit (I used Black and Decker) with a cordless drill. A bullet tip bit has a miniature tip that starts well and keeps the hole from wandering. I used plenty of pressure on the drill, and the stainless came out in a continuous curl. I think the low speed of the cordless drill prevented excess heat or work hardening of the stainless.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
02/25/2006 6:19 AM Pacific Time

Mike you must be strong to be able to do that by hand, but that is the technique for drilling SS. Keep the pressure on and don't let up. SS will work harden very easily, such as when a chip breaks off, then the drill will have to bite into a harden bit of metal. Keeping the pressure on in a drill press is easier, but as Mike has found it can be done, and I think he is right that the slow speed allowed him to do it.
Good luck, Al Ge

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/26/2006 7:14 AM Pacific Time

Hello Mike,

The picture and article might be referring to is at:

http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/techtips/table.htm

What would you like to know about the installation and the use of the pins for the forestay and forward shrouds?

Dale Mack
Crocus, C22, #8244
www.c22pdx.net

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/26/2006 7:24 AM Pacific Time

Hello Mike,

Here is the article on using the pins for rigging.

http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/news/rpts/200101/200101.htm#TraileringQuickReleaseHardware

Dale Mack
www.c22pdx.org
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
02/27/2006 7:55 AM Pacific Time

There is a quick and dirty way to improve the grip of the wall brackets for the cabin table.

The L-brackets attached to the table are supposed to be overformed to slightly less than 90 degrees so when the table is level and the support leg deployed, protrusions stamped in the L-brackets engage holes in the wall brackets, thus prevent the L-bracket from lifting. But what usually happens is someone lifts the free end of the table and slightly bends the L-brackets. Now the protrusions no longer fit snugly into the hole in the wall bracket and the L-bracket can easily pop out.

I restored mine by simply reforming the brackets to about 85 degrees. Now as the free end of the table is lifted just enough to deploy the leg, the wall brackets are tightly gripped.

I never let anyone else put up or take down the table and I am careful no not lift the free end any further than necessary to deploy or collapse the leg.

I know this is not nearly as good as the pins but mine has worked great now for several years after the above fix.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/27/2006 12:32 PM Pacific Time

My table brackets used to work this way, but I didn't know it was designed this way. They stopped working and now I know why! I will be bending the brackets back now that I know.

Thanks for that tidbit!
Butchie
1986 c22
Sandy Bottoms
Greg Phillips
Tennille,Ga

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1981 C22

Hull No. 10161

Hailing Port: Lake Sinclair, Milledegville, Ga
02/28/2006 7:43 AM Pacific Time

I secured my table with a small piece of wood that runs the entire width of the table. The wood placed on the top of the table next to the side of the boat, right under the shelf. I keep the wood in place with velcro. I have had it like this for the past four years. It has yet to fail. I also stand on it periodically.

Greg
Blaine King
Collierville, Tennessee

Boat Name: Moon Glow

Model/Year: C-22 SWING KEEL / 1973

Hull No. 2157

Hailing Port: Paris & Pickwick Landing
02/28/2006 8:30 PM Pacific Time

Greg, thanx for the "quick & dirty"!
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Boat Name: Happy Daze

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No. 12712

Hailing Port: Muncie, in
02/28/2008 8:58 PM Pacific Time

That sounds like a great idea! Approximately what size is it?

Fair winds,
Jon
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
02/29/2008 3:24 PM Pacific Time

Catalina Direct has some latches that work really well. Takes about 20 minutes to install.
Jon Golliher
Anderson, In

Boat Name: Happy Daze

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1985

Hull No. 12712

Hailing Port: Muncie, in
02/29/2008 8:42 PM Pacific Time

Yeah, I know of the various ways to secure the table from below and so far I've never needed anything because my brackets are kept "overbent" as mentioned on another post here.

I just thought Greg had a great idea "thinking outside the box". I like the idea of not having to climb under the table to unlatch anything.

Fair winds,
Jon

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Securing cabin table