Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / FRESH WATER TANK

Author FRESH WATER TANK
D. POWERS
Fairfield, Ct.

Boat Name: SEAS THE DAY

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. `

Hailing Port: BRIDGEPORT, CT.
04/26/2004 8:51 AM Pacific Time

INFORMATION ON HOW TO GET WATER FLOWING TO SINK, FROM FRESH WATER TANK. SINK HANDLE AND HOSE OK. SIPHON ? WORKED FINE
LAST SEASON, FILLED TANK HALF WAY, NO PRESSURE.

KNOW WHERE TO FINE ORIGINAL BOAT MANUAL FOR 1983 - 25 FT. ?

THANKS
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
04/26/2004 2:47 PM Pacific Time

I had a similar problem seeral years ago. The pump handle had become unscrewed from the valve that moves up and down. I took the pump apart, reassembled it correctly, and it has worked fine ever since.
D. POWERS
Fairfield, Ct.

Boat Name: SEAS THE DAY

Model/Year: 1983

Hull No. `

Hailing Port: BRIDGEPORT, CT.
04/27/2004 8:59 PM Pacific Time

THANKS, MARRAKESH FOR THE INFO, WILL CHECK THE SINK HANDLE TODAY AND TAKE APART. WILL TAKE NOTE OF YOUR SUGGESTION, THANKS
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
05/14/2004 5:55 PM Pacific Time

Where is the fresh water stored and where does the dirty water drain? My boat does not have the slide out galley or water tanks. The hose from the drain ends in the bilge. Any information is appreciated.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/14/2004 7:50 PM Pacific Time

Tim - I think you answered your own question. It doesn't. The water tank is built into the slide out galley. Unless the boat you have is a MarkII, the sink drains into the funnel shaped opening at the aft end of the starboard settee. The funnel is connected to a tee in the starboard cockpit drain.

It would help if you complete your profile, so we know what model Catalina you have.
Jim Fletcher
Weare, N.H.

Boat Name: Sweet Misery

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1988

Hull No. 14319

Hailing Port:
05/20/2004 6:50 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone know where to get a new fresh water storage tank to replace the original in my 1988 C22. I do not know what it would look like or the dimensions or the capacity. I have tried to search the web with no luck. Not in my manual or the Catalina Direct parts book.

Thanks
Jim Fletcher
87 C22 14319, Weare NH
Jim Seal
Marshfield, MA

Boat Name: The Cure

Model/Year: 1991 Catalina-22

Hull No. CTHY520GB191

Hailing Port: Duxbury, MA
05/21/2004 8:01 AM Pacific Time

I'm also in the market for a replacement fresh water tank. The original on my 1991 C-22 leaks badly. The dimensions are 9" wide on each side, and 16" tall. I'd guess the capacity at 4-5 gallons. I'm thinking of looking for one of those collapsible water containers you'd find in the camping section of the local Target or Sears as a replacement, unless there's a better source out there...

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/21/2004 2:45 PM Pacific Time

Jim...........

Most fresh water tanks that I have seen on boats are breeding grounds for bacteria. You may be much better off buying those 2 1/2 gal dispensers at the grocery store. Plus they take up much less space..... I keep mine under the table. Works great!
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
05/22/2004 7:51 AM Pacific Time

I got a flexible water tank at a camping store. It is square and fits nicely in the V-berth cutout. the spout is just the right size for the feeder hose that leads to the galley sink.
Lowell Richardson, Owner, Catalina Direct
Sacramento CA

Boat Name: Steamboat Willie

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake
05/23/2004 11:25 PM Pacific Time

Geoff, your boat as well as Jim Fletcher’s and Jim Seal’s boats are second generation (‘86 <-> ’95) boats with a fixed galley configuration. A storage space under the V berth is designed for a portable water container.

The original containers worked fine for a time when shipped with a new boat. But they are so thin that replacement tanks, when shipped via UPS, arrived in usable condition at the buyer’s address less than 50% of the time. We no longer offer the original tank.

The best currently available replacement tank option is one of the generic folding tanks like Geoff mentioned. They are usually cubes so they won’t have the volume of the original tank which was taller than it was wide. But they are inexpensive so they could be replaced regularly.

The replacement water tank for 1st generation boats with a slide in galley (built through 1985) is available from Catalina Direct. It should be a direct replacement, but as usual we would like you to measure your tank to confirm that Catalina didn’t make one of their unrecorded changes that frequently pop up. Call with your fax number and we will fax a drawing which includes tank dimensions. I suspect this is the galley Tim Siefert is speaking of.

The replacement tank for 1st generation boats is now 3/8” thick, twice as thick as the original 3/16” thick tanks. One of the reasons why the galley is expensive is that this custom made tank is expensive. $100.00 as of this writing. Part #D2022X

We also carry the cap/fill pipe combination if anyone is in need of it. Part #D1948. $8.95

As I’m writing I’m wondering… How many owners would be interested in a custom replacement tank to fit the 2nd generation boats? I could have them made of the 3/8” polyethylene so they would be bulletproof. They could be equipped with an inspection port in the top for cleanout and be sized to fit the original space for maximum capacity. Downside again is that they would be expensive (rough guess $80.00 +-) but they would never need to be replaced… What do you think?

Lowell
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
05/25/2004 6:59 PM Pacific Time

$80 is a little steep. I think my Wally's World special cost less than $10. I wouldn't spend that much on a water bladder unless I was doing some serious cruising.

Geoff

Jim Fletcher
Weare, N.H.

Boat Name: Sweet Misery

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1988

Hull No. 14319

Hailing Port:
05/25/2004 7:15 PM Pacific Time

$80 is a little high for me as well. I will probably use a small colapsable as well. Just for rinsing out items in the sink.
Thanks Anyway
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
05/26/2004 10:21 AM Pacific Time

I use a bladder tank of 20 gals and it lies in the locker under the galley a whale foot pump pumps it up and a deck fill fills from topsides
Jack Johnston
Annapolis, Md.

Boat Name: Ginny Belle III

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 10756

Hailing Port: Annapolis, Md.
10/25/2004 1:33 PM Pacific Time

Does CD market a replacement hand pump for pre 85 boats?
Jack

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/26/2004 8:13 AM Pacific Time

I for one would be interested in a tank made specificly for the later model. I would prefer it to have the option of a bottom outlet that would work better with an electric pump though.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / FRESH WATER TANK