Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel cable

Author keel cable
dean settas
sparks nv.

Boat Name: segue

Model/Year: catalina 22 1985

Hull No. 12724

Hailing Port: eagle lake ca.
05/16/2004 9:59 AM Pacific Time

I"ve got a problem, keel cable broke from clevis, kell hit bottom of boat ramp did not go all the way down. Ran a line under boat and used winches to raise keel to free boat from ramp. My question for advice is do I have to repair cable now can you sail boat without cable and repair later. first time catalina owner. thanks for any info.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/16/2004 8:27 PM Pacific Time

Where is the boat now? If you plan to leave it in the water and have a place to keep it with the keel down, go for it. The boat is meant to sail with the keel down. You are just putting off the evitable. Why not fix it now?

When you winch the keel up as far as you can, it still probably will hit the trailer cross member, when you load it. I had the same problem and chose to load it anyway. That really screwed up the leading edge of my keel. Sooooo before you load it, wrap the cross member with some heavy towels or a blanket. Put the boat on the trailer and fix the cable.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/17/2004 3:41 AM Pacific Time

You said that the cable broke at the clevis pin. Are you able to pull the cable completely into the boat through the black hose below the keel winch? If so, then it was the cable that broke, and you have a relatively easy fix (buy new cable, attach it to the keel, thread it through the volcano, and secure it to the keel winch). If you are not able to pull it into the boat, it may have broken at the attachment to the keel, and you may have a more difficult repair.
dean settas
sparks nv.

Hull No. 12724

05/17/2004 8:30 AM Pacific Time

Thank you for the valuable feedback, Dick and Michael.

Dick, thank you for the tip to wrap a towel around the trailer cross member.

Michael, yes, the cable did come up all the way. I plan to replace everything: the winch, cable and turning ball (which is now missing). I'm going to have a diver inspect the keel eyebolt.

Thanks again--Dean
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

05/17/2004 11:28 AM Pacific Time

Dean, you say the turning ball is missing. Are you sure it was ever there since you have had the boat. Its' disappearance should in no way be related to the broken keel cable, except that the friction on the cable and the forward side of the keel trunk could certainly fatigue the cable and saw a hole in your boat. I highly recommend you pull the boat and get a good visual inspection. Replacing the turning ball requires pulling the hose off the top of the "volcano." I would not try it, while the boat is in the water. Without the hose installed you are asking for water to come into the boat.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/17/2004 4:38 PM Pacific Time

Dick is right one with this one. DO NOT remove that radiator looking hose while afloat. You will take on water!
dean settas
sparks nv.

Hull No. 12724

05/17/2004 6:27 PM Pacific Time

Thanks again, Dick. I will belly wrap it and take it out of the water to inspect and replace whatever is necessary.

Thanks--Dean
Richard Bernstein
Lake Champlain, Vermont

Boat Name: Trillium

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 14130

Hailing Port: Charlotte, Vermont
05/26/2004 3:30 AM Pacific Time

I have a different sort of question. How do you keep the keel cable from "singing" while under way? Tightening the cable changes the note and makes it louder. But it is still there and fairly annoying with the cable loose. Is there a solution for this problem??

Richard Bernstein
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

05/26/2004 7:17 AM Pacific Time

Richard - The cable hum comes from the vibration as it passes thru the water (like a rope whirled about your head). When you lower the keel, continue to unwind the winch handle a few times, until the humming stops (the cable goes slack.) I like to leave it taut. The hum changes pitch as the speed increases or decreases. It makes a good relative speed knotmeter.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
05/27/2004 4:12 PM Pacific Time

I call it my 4.5 knot meter
Rudy Trivisonno
Yakima, WA

Boat Name: Chispa

Model/Year: Catalina 250 1996

Hull No. CTYA0181A596

Hailing Port: The Cove Marina, Rimrock lake
06/14/2004 8:17 PM Pacific Time

I have just launched my Catalina 250 in a lake up in the mountains in Washington. The keel would not go all the way down. So I have to dive into the freezing water and found that the keel is stuck half way down (at 40 degrees), and won't go all the way down, nor all the way back up. It seems that it is stuck from within (cable?, Swivel?). My owner's manual does not have a description of the trunk or the system beyond the black rubber tube. The ballast is full of water. Is there any way to access the cable or system from within the boat, without hauling out?
I would really appreciate some advice as to what to do in a situation like this, as I am at wits end.
Thank you for your help,
Rudy
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

06/15/2004 1:37 PM Pacific Time

You mention the water ballast is in. Is your keel weighted or just a daggerboard?
When the keel stops going down, does the cable go slack? If it does, the keel is sticking. If it doesn't, it may be a winch problem. Can you see the cable, and is there an override in the cable?
If you have an override, you need to take the pressure off the cable before it the override can be corrected. A marina with a travel lift might be able to help.
Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
06/20/2006 2:17 PM Pacific Time

My Keel Cable broke and the boat is in the water. I would like to replace the cable with the boat still in the water. From what I can tell, the cable seems to have broken close to its attachment with the keel, possibly at the point where the cable attaches to the fork that receives the clevis pin that goes through the keel.

I have read Dick King's great instructions for replacing the keel cable on land, and appreciate them very much.

I was wondering whether anyone on the list has tried to replace the keel cable with the boat in the water and could offer any insights.

In particular

1. Does a diver have a reasonably good chance of being able to disconnect the old clevis pin arrangement and re-connecting the new fork/clevis pin/keel cable under water?

2. Is it true that removing the radiator hose from the volcano to get at the turning ball will result in me taking on lots of water?

3. Is it reasonably easy to thread the old cable from the top through the turning ball, to use t he old cable as a puller, so that the new cable can be pulled up though the bottom?

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated.

Vic (Summer Zamboni)
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

06/20/2006 7:44 PM Pacific Time

1. The diver will need to use pliers under water to get the cotter pin off. When they remove the clevis pin, there is a chance of dropping it and losing it forever. Make sure you have a spare (or 2).

2. Yes removing the radiator hose from the volcano to get at the turning ball will result in taking on lots of water? DON'T DO IT

3. I believe the radiator hose will prevent you seeing what you are doing if you try to thread the old cable from the top through the turning ball. I suggest shiing a flashlight into the hose from the boat so the diver can see the fore and aft slots in the turning ball. It will then be easy for him/her to verify the new cable is in the front slot.

Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
06/21/2006 6:29 AM Pacific Time

Does the keel cable go through the front or the aft slot of the turning ball?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

06/21/2006 2:48 PM Pacific Time

Oops. It goes in the back slot. Thanks for correcting me.

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / keel cable