Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Convert Standard Rudder to Kick up?

Author Convert Standard Rudder to Kick up?
Jeff Trask
Melbourne, Florida

Boat Name: Blue Yonder

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 6024

Hailing Port:
05/20/2004 8:55 AM Pacific Time

The wind is Free and everything else should be as well, right?

Anyway, I have a standard rudder and really need a kick up rudder due to the shallow Inian and Banana rivers I usually sail in around here.

I don't want to pay the 800+ bucks for a new Kick up rudder and was wondering if anyone knows of a way I could saw up my standard rudder to make it a kick up?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/20/2004 10:08 AM Pacific Time

Come on Jeff- Get serious! The kickup rudder is a whole different beast. The top half is a aluminum housing into which a blade is inserted. The blade pivots (kicks up) on a stainless bolt inserted thru the lower part of the housing. You really want to look for a racer, who might want to trade a kickup for a fixed blade.

You will have to look elsewhere as I already have a fixed blade.
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
05/21/2004 5:09 AM Pacific Time

Jeff, I think there may be some people around this site who have kick-up rudders and are looking for fixed (better for people who never go into skinny water). Why not just post something in the buy/sell area and see what happens?
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/31/2004 10:19 PM Pacific Time

Yes, I have a kick-up that I would like to trade, maybe with a little something to boot, since I understand from reading the book that the kick-up is quite a bit more expense.
Al Gearing
[email protected]
817-295-9234
Dave
West Bend, WI

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1988 C22

Hull No. #14447

Hailing Port: Oshkosh, WI
06/01/2004 6:42 AM Pacific Time

Jeff,

The CatalinaOwners (dot com) chandlery has complete kick-up rudder assemblies for $499, $429 if you use your existing tiller. The blades are made of high density polyethelyene, so there's no risk of water intrusion and water-logging. You might want to take a look.
Jeff Trask
Melbourne, Florida

Boat Name: Blue Yonder

Model/Year: C-22 1976

Hull No. 6024

Hailing Port:
06/01/2004 9:22 PM Pacific Time

Thank you all!

Dick King, thanks for talking some sense into me! I have a feeling if I had started sawing at my rudder bad things would have happend ;-)

Chip & Mary.. GOOD THINKING! Thank you!

Al Gearing-- I just sent you and e-mail. I would really like to talk about a trade with you. Thanks.

Dave, I will check that out if I can't arrange a trade. I really appreciate it!

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Convert Standard Rudder to Kick up?