Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Engine mounting position

Author Engine mounting position
Paul Moore
Doylestown, PA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/21/2004 7:48 PM Pacific Time

Last year my 6HP Yam allways seemed too deep, with the waterflow hitting the wishbone, and the mounting board.
This year I have raised the mount one bolt hole, but it still seems too low, as high as possible with out drilling new holes. I have the better spring loaded mount with the two "down" positions. I leave the motor in the higher position. (I can acutally run the motor in the UP position and it just starts to suck air & cavitate)
Does anyone have a method for determining where to mount the engine, say ..relative to the bottom of the transom?

Paul
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
05/29/2009 9:02 PM Pacific Time

I don't know the answer to your question. However I've got another to add to the mix: The port motor mount on our C22 is not perfectly verticle. It's tilted such that the shaft/propeller is slightly left of verticle. Is this normal? Maybe to compensate for being off the center line of the boat?
Curious,
zz
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
06/09/2009 4:58 AM Pacific Time

"Does anyone have a method for determining where to mount the engine, say ..relative to the bottom of the transom?"
Hi, I also have a 6 ho Yammy (long shaft) and sometimes it seems a bit deep but if I raise it any, it will not back up so easily. One point is that to actually see how deep it is while you're running, you have to unbalance the boat by shifting your weight to the stern and getting further back in the cockpit.
As for Bilgeboy's question, I d say that this doesn't matter. having the prop a bit port of centerline will change the thrust a bit in a bad way and having it away from the transom may help in a good way. Are you satisfied with the way that the boat moves with the motor? That's the big question I'd think.
John Santo
Newport Beach CA

Boat Name: Oasis V and Oasis VI

Model/Year: 2005/2006 Catalina 34Mark II

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Newport Beach CA
06/17/2019 4:39 PM Pacific Time

I have a Catalina 34 with a M35B Universal engine. I am going to replace the engine with a Yanmar 3YM30AES. The Universal engine has not served our sailing club well. Has anyone ever done this and what are the modifications need. Looking forward to your responce. John Santo
John Santo
Newport Beach CA

Boat Name: Oasis V and Oasis VI

Model/Year: 2005/2006 Catalina 34Mark II

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Newport Beach CA
06/17/2019 4:39 PM Pacific Time

I have a Catalina 34 with a M35B Universal engine. I am going to replace the engine with a Yanmar 3YM30AES. The Universal engine has not served our sailing club well. Has anyone ever done this and what are the modifications need. Looking forward to your responce. John Santo

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Engine mounting position