Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bow Eye Replacement and/or Resealing

Author Bow Eye Replacement and/or Resealing
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
05/22/2004 7:23 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1990 model C22. Over time my bow eye has become slightly bent and loose. When it is choppy water leaks into the boat. For several years I have gotten by by applying sealant around the base of the bow eye each time I launch but that is getting old. I would like to fix the problem correctly by removing the old eye, applying sealant to the hull holes and inserting a new eye. However, the nuts retaining the bow eye are not accessible from inside the boat. I can't even tighten the old bow eye. Aside from cutting up my anchor well (as a friend of mine did) I see no way to accomplish the project. I do have a small (4 inch) access hatch inside the top of my anchor well but that is barely adequate to access the bolts that the forestay attaches to. Does anyone have similar problems and what is the remedy???
Thanks, Philip & Sharon Merlier
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/22/2004 8:47 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1986. The only leak I've had in the bow has been the drain hose from the anchor well to the bow hole. Any rain or waves that came over the bow would flush down the anchor well drain and drip into the bilge area at the very tip of the V-berth. I accessed it by removing the trapezoidal teak plywood a the front of the V-berth and cutting an access hole below the anchor well (that the teak covers up afterwards). I'm not at the boat, so I don't know whether the drain hole is above or below the bow eye.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Bow Eye Replacement and/or Resealing