Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Compression Post

Author Compression Post
Austin
TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/22/2004 3:59 PM Pacific Time

I'm 14 and bought my '74 C-22 a couple years ago on my own, and recently my compression post has been sinking in around the keel trunk. I once talked to a guy at the lake who's compression post had just collapsed in strong winds, and I'm afraid of that happening to mine. My dad made a steel cover to slip onto the top of the keel trunk, (between the fiberglass and the wooden post) but I was wondering if that will totally protect the trunk. Hope that makes sense... and please help!
thanks,

Austin
Dallas, TX
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/24/2004 5:45 AM Pacific Time

Congratulations on making such a wise choise at so early an age. Your boat probably suffers from a common problem for that vintage. When the boat was built, the lower part consisted of the hull (what you see on the outside) and the lower liner (what you see on the inside). The keel trunk which is part of the hull, is covered by the forward dinette arn rest and the ridge that separates the dinette deck and the aisle way in the cabin. Under the compression post, there is supposed to be a wooden support (2x4) epoxied to the front curve of the keel trunk. Yours is either missing or has broken loose and no longer supports the load of the compression post.

The fix is to replace the wooden support and restore the load support system. Send me your email address and I will try to talk you through what I did. By the way, complete your profile, so we know who we are talking to.

Dick King
[email protected]
Peter Kirchner
DALTON

Boat Name: FurtherMoor

Model/Year: 387 2006

Hull No. 98

Hailing Port: New London, CT
08/27/2010 6:29 PM Pacific Time

please will u help me too! please please help me, I have the same problem! [email protected] Jim

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/27/2010 6:29 PM Pacific Time

please will u help me too! please please help me, I have the same problem! [email protected] Jim
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
08/28/2010 10:28 AM Pacific Time

James, I am afraid that Dick King -a great ambassador for the c22, avid racer, generous with help and advice, and a good friend- passed away several years ago. He is missed by many in the c22 community and I am sure he would have gladly helped you, as he has me many times, in any way he could.

Yes, the lower compression post on your boat is likely the culprit. Repair requires some cutting of the liner/keel trunk inside your boat. I am attaching a link to some pictures (not mine) posted that show the repair to give you an idea what to expect. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/426872808oJMpeo

Glenn

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Compression Post