Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / My C22 pop top

Author My C22 pop top
Tom Reid
Hamden CT

Boat Name: Point Loma

Model/Year: C-22 1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: City Point, CT
05/28/2004 11:35 AM Pacific Time

We just acquired a 1987 C22 with a pop top. We can't figure out how to secure the top when it is popped. We can get it open, but can't keep it up.... any advice? Are we missing a part or line?
Tom Reid
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/28/2004 12:27 PM Pacific Time

There is supposed to be a slide in the mast track with a lip on it that slides up under the forward lip of the top when it is against the mast. However, they have been known to loosen and slide down allowing the top to fall down.

I recommend you drill two holes through the forward lip and put in two pieces of 1/4 inch line long enough to reach around the mast and be tied with a square knot. The top will stay up until you want it to come down.

One final word. Please don't sail with the top up. You have a huge hole in the boat which could take on lots of water in the event of a knockdown. Also do not allow anyone t put any part of their body out of the cabin except through the companionway. A falling top could do bad things.

Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/28/2004 6:38 PM Pacific Time

I installed the gas lifts last season. You still need the catch at the mast for safety reasons. but there is no longer the danger of the pop top coming down violently.
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
08/06/2004 8:20 PM Pacific Time

Michael,
Was the installation of the gas lifts for your pop top difficult to install.?
I am a 67 yr old woman, but have 'some' mechanical ability.
Thanks!
Linda
Robert Sparks
Alexandria LA

Boat Name: Petite

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7931

Hailing Port: Alexandria LA
08/08/2004 8:08 AM Pacific Time

Linda,

I installed the pop top lifter by myself on one Saturday. It works fine, by the way. You will need to take your time, read everything carefully, and measure meticulously before drilling. I recommend a second pair of hands for the task just as the instructions mention. Good luck!

Bob
Vickie
Old Lyme CT

Boat Name: "Come away with me"

Model/Year: Catalina 30 1980

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Westbrook CT
02/24/2005 7:35 PM Pacific Time

For Robert Sparks..I'm doing the same wioth my pop top, using the gas struts like in a car. What newton of gas are your struts?
Robert Sparks
Alexandria LA

Boat Name: Petite

Model/Year: 1977

Hull No. 7931

Hailing Port: Alexandria LA
02/25/2005 6:24 AM Pacific Time

Michael -

I don't know what the force of them is but it is too great. So great, in fact, that the original end pieces of the cylinders were distorted by this force and I had to obtain replacements from CD. After I sent CD pictures of the hole elongation they replaced my end pieces with a new version which seems to work OK... so far. If I was determining the lift force for this custom strut I would view the struts as an "assist" such that I would have to lift a few pounds to get the lid up and that it would collapse - gently of course - under its own weight. This would solve most of the "problem" of lifting the pop top for less strong folks. But this is not the case with these struts because they are so powerful that they shove the lid up and then I have to assist bringing the lid down. Summary - knock the power of the struts down and the pop top lifter becomes a better product. If weaker struts were available I would buy and install them.

Robert Sparks
Lowell Richardson, Owner, Catalina Direct
Sacramento CA

Boat Name: Steamboat Willie

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake
02/27/2005 11:46 PM Pacific Time

The primary reason we designed our Pop Top Power Lift Kit is safety. Convenience is a nice added benefit. The Pop Top Mast Lock Assembly (search the store for part #D1219 to view a photo) is the original equipment part intended to hold the pop top up. But due to the weight and geometry of the pop top and its articulating arms there is nothing holding the top up while you are in the process of securing it. The original part is fairly quick to deploy but by no means foolproof. If you are distracted for any reason while raising or securing the pop top, or you simply lose your grip, the pop top will come crashing down with potentially disastrous results. A piece of line takes even longer to secure with the pop top trying to fall while you are trying to tie a knot.

This is why we provide high capacity springs with our Pop Top Power Lift Kit. With the kit properly installed, the pop top is held forward, against the mast, with approximately 20 pounds of force. Yes, you must pull the top down a bit at first when you want to lower it. This is intentional. It means the pop top will not fall on its own even if the Pop Top Mast Lock Assembly fails to hold the pop top securely. The fact that our springs also make it easy to raise and lower the pop top is an added bonus. The use of lighter capacity springs will eliminate this safety feature and potentially subject you to the same fate as other C-22 sailors, a trip to the hospital when the pop dropped closed on unsuspecting fingers.

In addition, placement of the mounting brackets cannot be determined by guessing. There are so many variables involved it requires either many hours of an engineer's time or specialized computer software to determine the correct placement of the brackets, the correct open and compressed lengths, the correct spring capacity and correct volume of compressed gas for everything to work together smoothly.

We were lucky enough to find the one consultant who could help us make the system work. He consults with the automotive and military industries about gas spring use so he has the correct software. He is also a sailor familiar with the Catalina 22 and Catalina 25 pop tops. It was only his combination of knowledge, experience, and specialized software that helped us create a kit that works so well.

After determining the correct components and correct geometry, we spent many hours writing clear instructions and taking photographs of each step of an actual installation. The result is a complete instruction book (included with each kit) that makes installation easy.

Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Either use the original Pop Top Mast Lock Assembly and be extremely careful or install our Pop Top Power Lift Kit and enjoy the added safety and convenience it provides.
Wade Phinney
Centerport, NY

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: centerport ny
07/09/2008 5:58 PM Pacific Time

where exactly do we search for the lock assembly?
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
07/11/2008 3:13 AM Pacific Time

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=318
Bilbo
Youngstown, Ohio

Boat Name: Sea Dog

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1987

Hull No. 13971

Hailing Port: Andover, Ohio
07/11/2008 3:35 AM Pacific Time

I should add that Lowell's 2005 comments about how the pop-top falls are good but maybe an incomplete description. If you don't fasten the pop-top lock assembly adequately, it may slip and crash down. This may even happen if a person bumps the pop top or if a person inadvertently puts weight on it. If a person's hand is located in an unfortunate place, it may be at best very painful or at worst crippling.

Some other options rather than not adding the gas struts:
1) Fasten the pop-top lock grip knob very securely with a pair of pliers (Caution to not break off the threaded rod or strip the threads and hope for the best. The assembly should be slid up hard against the concave lip edge of the pop topp and the pop top needs to be tight against the mast extrusion before tightening the knurled nut. As a suggestion, one may be able to find a larger knurled nut to replace the small one that is supplied with the assembly and this would help to give a greater grip.

2) Assist this setup with a bungee cord arrangement or otherwise tie up the pop-top up with a line.

3) Incorporate a solid object as a wedge between the pop-top and the cabin. I do this when I am cleaning the fiberglass or working on the boat.

4) Leave the pop-top down. ~A particularly good idea when you are actually on the move.

5) Install the Pop Top Power Lift Kit that Lowell Richardson is advertising. It would be $140 well spent.

Pop Top Mast Lock Assembly:
Product #: D1219
Our Price: $26.70
Austin Cooley
Honeoye Falls, NY

Boat Name: Wings of the Morning

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1983

Hull No. 11602

Hailing Port: Keuka Lake, Branchport, NY
07/12/2008 7:17 PM Pacific Time

I agree that the pop top lifts are really important to add to your boat. I almost broke a finger when the pop top fell unexpectedly. In the mean time, don't bother to bore holes in anything. Just tie a line on one of the forward supports and run it around the mast to the other support. The instructions for the installation of the gas lifts show that the mast has to be down. It might be posible to do it otherwise but I followed the instructions and it worked fine.

Austin
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Boat Name: Kosher Cannoli, Northern Light

Model/Year: C22 Swing 1988, C34 Wing 2003

Hull No. 14447, 1632

Hailing Port: Kerr Lake, NC
03/02/2011 4:01 AM Pacific Time

We're considering installing the pop top power lift. Can anyone post the instructions that come with the lift? Thanx!
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Hull No. 14447, 1632

06/27/2011 8:40 PM Pacific Time

It's been a fun season so far and after almost squashing a hand with a falling pop top still want to add the pop top kit. I'm trying to get an idea as to how complicated it is to install. There aren't many moving parts but it seems like more holes are necessary in the cabin top. Can anyone elaborate on this or post a pic or two?
Ta, BilgeBoy
Bilgeboy
Carrboro, NC

Hull No. 14447, 1632

07/11/2012 9:22 PM Pacific Time

We installed the lift kit this season. I was skeptical during the installation phase but am quite pleased with the results. We use the poptop more often and it is definitely secure now. Given the boat's original design, CD came up with a very good solution.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / My C22 pop top