Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing to the Caribbean from Florida

Author Sailing to the Caribbean from Florida
Nick
Washington DC

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Galesville (Chesapeake Bay)
06/05/2004 9:30 PM Pacific Time

I dont know if the Boat could take this but has anyone sailed to or knows if it would be a good idea the caribbean from florida.
David Andrews
Middlebury VT

Boat Name: Winter Dream

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. CTYH2145M84C

Hailing Port: Kingsland Bay, VT
06/06/2004 5:08 AM Pacific Time

Hello Nick

I don't know about the Cat 22, but I have a friend who with his three sons sailed a Starwind 22
from Key West to Cuba and back a few years ago. It's s similar size and weight to the Cat 22.

David
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
06/06/2004 5:22 AM Pacific Time

There is no reason why you can't do it with the proper planning and a little good luck. You just have to be willing to rough it a little and take your time and be very careful. I know of many vessels 22ft and smaller that have done it. In the next couple days I'm leaving on my C22 to spend two months in the Bahamas. I hope to go almost as far as the Turks and Caicos but there is no reason why someone could not just keep right on island hopping as long as they had enough time.

Philip
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/06/2004 6:12 AM Pacific Time

Nick - I have heard about Catalina 22s going to the Bahamas. I would not recomment you do it. The Catalina 22 is not designed as an "Offshore" boat. On the Catalina Yachts website, it is not even included in any of the list of boat design categories as defined by the International Marine Certification Institute Recreational Craft Directive 94/35/CE Institute Recreational Craft: http://www.catalinayachts.com/certif.cfm

Just scan down the conditions for each category. I would not want to be out in any of them.

Yes, it would be an adventure for someone who had no other responsibilities. If anyone else depends on you, think twice about the adventure.

JMHO
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/06/2004 7:19 AM Pacific Time

Let me revise my remarks. I think the boat will easily handle Inland and Sheltered conditions. We have had earlier discussions about going offshore in this boat. Again, I would not do it. Others have and will.
Brian Connelly
Snowmass Village,CO

Boat Name: BARKEATER

Model/Year: 1976 22 Catalina

Hull No. ?

Hailing Port: Aspen CO
06/07/2004 12:18 AM Pacific Time

Hey Nick, Your not talking about 90 miles, your talking about 1200 miles to U.S Virgins! I've done it on a 38 and that got tough with water & fuel. You would not want to weather some storms you can see out there on a 22. Good Luck and be careful. BC
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
06/07/2004 5:54 AM Pacific Time

The whole point is that you do not do it with a schedule and wait for your weather windows and take your time I have spent 20+ years in the carribbean and 20 in Florida and most of the bad storms I watched from a good anchorage .Read Bruce Van Stadt' s " Gentlemans guide to the thorny path" if you took half his advice you would be pretty safe , just look at it as a series of 20 - 70 mile sails and have a good time , I'm sure Phillip and Sharron will.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing to the Caribbean from Florida