Plumbing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Marine Head on a Small Boat?

Author Marine Head on a Small Boat?
Kevin Murphy
Sacramento, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1973

Hull No. 2526

Hailing Port: Sacramento, CA
06/09/2004 10:58 AM Pacific Time

I just purchased a '73 Catalina 22 with an illegal marine head. The head appears to be in good shape but I wonder if it would be better to remove it in favor of a porta-pottie or go ahead and add a holding tank and the proper hoses (probably under the forward seat of the dinette)?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/09/2004 1:20 PM Pacific Time

It depends on how you're going to use the boat. Will you do any cruising? The 3 gallon porta-potti tank fills up fast on a cruise, but is fine for occasional/day sailing use.

Don't put in a proper head unless you have a pump-out station near where you berth your boat.

If you are going to trailer sail, the porta-potti makes sense (less to go wrong, and empty at home).

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/27/2004 6:13 AM Pacific Time

I agree with what Michael says. Accept I would take into consideration the cost + convience. You already have a head installed. They are larger and more comfortable. It might be more convenient to just attach a tank and use a pump out station. That's what I would do!
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
06/23/2005 5:57 AM Pacific Time

Did you decide to keep or remove the head? What is the brand/model of the head? Where is it located? Where is the holding tank located?

Plumbing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Plumbing / Marine Head on a Small Boat?