Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Nissan / Tohatsu 5hp propellor selection

Author Nissan / Tohatsu 5hp propellor selection
Murray Pakes
Maplewood, NJ

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/09/2004 9:26 PM Pacific Time

Per the Tohatsu / Nissan website, they recommend a propellor with a pitch of 7 for "heavy" boats (1500 to 3000 pounds) for the four stroke 5 or 6 hp motor. This motor is sold with an 8 pitch propellor designed for a lighter load; has anybody tried the 7 pitch?
http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/prop1.html
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
06/13/2004 8:28 AM Pacific Time

I purchased my Nissan 6 HP 4 Stroke with the 7 pitch prop. Special ordered it at no extra cost from the dealer. The "flatter" pitch allows the motor to get up to proper RPM without lugging down trying to get the boat moving. For higher top end speed, more pitch is required but the low end acceleration suffers. Since our boats are really only going to go about 6 kts, what we really want is the low end acceleration that comes with a flatter pitch prop. I like the performance of mine and would recommend it over the standard 8" pitch.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Nissan / Tohatsu 5hp propellor selection