Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Gennaker questions

Author Gennaker questions
Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Boat Name: Mya Scape

Model/Year: C-22SK 1982

Hull No. 10592

Hailing Port: Bagby Marina, Lake Eufaula, Ft. Gaines, Georgia
06/13/2004 5:53 PM Pacific Time

I need to contact someone experienced in gennaker sailing. I do have several questions like, can you singlehand a gennaker? What size and length sheets do you need? Would a dousing sock simplify the process? What other items are required for the gennaker? Is a spinnaker pole necessary?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
06/13/2004 8:36 PM Pacific Time

I have done some single handed gennaker sailing. I have a sock, which makes it very manageable, and an autopilot, to keep me going straight while I am raising and undousing the sail. I don't use a pole. I also don't fly the sail myself when it is blowing hard.

I lead the sheet through the aft cleat, then back to the jib winch. You need enough sheet to go from the aft cleat, outboard 10 feet, around the forestay, and back to the other aft cleat. That is 22+22+10+10+ a little more. I'd go with 70-75ft.
Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Hull No. 10592

06/14/2004 6:13 PM Pacific Time

Michael, thanks for the information. What is the diameter of the sheet?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

06/15/2004 3:31 AM Pacific Time

I think I used 3/16. You don't want the sheets to be too heavy for light air.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/16/2004 6:19 AM Pacific Time

I have used 3/16" sheets but when the breeze gets above 10 knots it gets hard on your hands. So now I am using 1/4" Samson Ultralight.

I have Harken 29mm ti-light blocks attached to my aft cleats which makes sheeting a bit easier because of the reduced friction.

I haven't had a shot at single handing a chute in this boat. As mentioned above raising/lowering and steering are your stumbling blocks. Once its up it should be easy to manage. If you gybe and have problems then you could be in for a ride if you can't get forward to un-foul the mess.

Robert
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
06/16/2004 8:26 AM Pacific Time

I’m new at this Gennaker sailing myself… Not sure I have it rigged right. I have the stern blocks mounted as far aft as I could find a place for them (about 14” from the transom) also have a block at the top of the mast, a second mounted at the mast tabernacle and a third block forward of the head stay.

So far I tie the line attached to the tack of the sail (Cunningham?) through the block and to one of the existing deck mounted cleats. Another line goes to the head of the sail through the masthead block down to the tabernacle mounted block and up the mast to one of the existing mast mounted cleats and finally I run the sheets back to the after block and to the jib winches as described above.

The Gennaker gets fouled at the bow pulpit (gives some weird wrinkles), sometimes it interferes with the hardware installed for the roller reefing and generally fails to stay full of air (it deflates and then pops back full of air then deflates again… you get the idea). I’m not sure what it is I’m doing wrong. Also let me know about your hardware, I’d like to know if I need to install additional hardware to operate the sail efficiently.

Thanks - Frank
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

06/16/2004 2:38 PM Pacific Time

It sounds like you have the tack of the gennaker too close to the deck. I sail mine about 3 feet off the deck, and it doesn't foul anything. The puffing you describe has to do with the sheet adjustment/apparent wind angle. I think I head less down wind when that happens. Generally I change things until it stops :-)
Chuck Bennett
Dothan, Alabama

Hull No. 10592

06/27/2004 6:42 AM Pacific Time

Well, I have purchased the A-sail, now I need advise as to what I need at the masthead. Do I need to get a spinnaker crane? Can a block be added without a spinnaker crane? What size block would work best?

I really appreciate all the help that the list has given me, now and in the past.
Kip C
Cincinnati, Ohio

Boat Name: Knot Work / Quietude

Model/Year: '86 Cat 22 / '90 Cat 25

Hull No. 13358 / 6021

Hailing Port: Brookville Lake, Indiana
03/04/2006 4:32 PM Pacific Time

For those of you who have a CDI furler, what has been you experience flying a cruising spinnaker and using or not using a spinnaker crane. Does it make much of a difference? Any tips?
Thanks!

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Gennaker questions