Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / sail size

Author sail size
Richard Bernstein
Lake Champlain, Vermont

Boat Name: Trillium

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 14130

Hailing Port: Charlotte, Vermont
06/16/2004 4:11 AM Pacific Time

When I bought Trillium last year, she came with one jib--a small genoa that measures about 105 sq feet. I'm thinking of getting a smaller working jib for heavier conditions. In the CD catalog, sails are sized by percentages. What do I have?? 110%, 135% 150%?
David Andrews
Middlebury VT

Boat Name: Winter Dream

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. CTYH2145M84C

Hailing Port: Kingsland Bay, VT
07/09/2005 8:10 AM Pacific Time

I'm another Lake Champlain sailor, in Winter Dream, a 1984 boat. I share Richard's interest
in a smaller jib for the lake's sometimes blustery days. The 110% standard jib can be too much
for the boat under these conditions. I checked with Sail Warehouse regarding s storm jib, but the
one they list for the C22 is only 28 square feet. That's a lot less than the 105 square foot jib.
Does anyone have experience with something in between - say 50-60 square feet? And are there
any guidelines as to the actual dimensions, foot vs. leech??
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/09/2005 2:56 PM Pacific Time

Another option when the wind is strong is to sail with the 110 alone (no main). I used to have a 150, 110, and storm jib. The sail selection with increasing wind was
Main + 150
Main + 110
Reefed Main + 110
Double Reefed Main + 110
110 alone
Double Reefed Main + Storm Jib
Storm Jib alone
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
07/10/2005 7:04 AM Pacific Time

One of the best sailing days I have had was with the 110 only in 30 - 40 mph winds. Only when sailing down wind did it feel like too much sail, with the tendency to fish tail.

What wind range is required for a storm jib & how many sail in 40 plus winds anyway?
Bob

Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
07/10/2005 11:45 AM Pacific Time

Now the discussion begins on "How do you know what the wind speed was?" I've done hull speed with just the storm jib in about 25 knots of wind and flat seas (sailing off a windward shore). I've been out in my friend's Pearson 303 (with wind instruments) in 30-35 knots of wind, and we did 10.4 knots downwind with just a 110. Right after that we dropped the sails because he was afraid something was going to break. We were driving a displacement hull about 3 knots more than it wanted to go. The most I've been out in with the C22 is probably 25+ knots with 4-6 foot waves. Under those circumstances, I get off the lake as fast as I can. I don't enjoy it and don't feel safe. Don't forget that 6 mph=5 knots, so your 30-40 mph is 25-33 knots. If you have 1 or 2 crew to help counterbalance the heeling, it would make a big difference.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Boat Name: Pursuit

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Nashville
07/11/2005 4:39 AM Pacific Time

I am happy to report a C22 will plane in 25 mph gusts with the class gennoa wing and wing. :) It's not very fast upwind with the rail in the water, but actually better balanced with less tendancy to roundup with the gennoa than the jib.

My Waters main does fine up to 30 mph with the outhaul, flattening reef and backstay on hard. My crew was not willing to get on the rail and stayed on the windward seat. But you are correct, with crew weight to flatten the boat, it will be much faster.

I sail on lakes where I am rarely more than 30 minutes from the dock, so I don't have the safety issues some have.
Kevin and Pat
Miranda, CA

Boat Name: HOPE

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1971

Hull No. #403

Hailing Port: Miranda, CA
10/16/2005 7:37 PM Pacific Time

Pulling things out ot the basket that came with our basket case we have come to the main sail. Our boat is #403 but the mainsail is #14. The sail was built by Lee and has a C/22 logo. CD battens fit although seem a bit skinny.

The luff is 19’6” loose, so probably close to 20’ stretched out.

The foot is only 8 feet!

There is one set of reef points.

The sail is in good condition but seems to us to be a bit “high aspect”.

The boom is 9’ 7.5” . Looks C/22 but we don’t know what year.

Can some one explain what we have here?

Lucas, TX

Boat Name: Hummingbird

Model/Year: '72

Hull No. 1110

Hailing Port: Lake Levon, TX
10/26/2006 7:50 PM Pacific Time

Kevin,

There was a change in the C22 mainsail some time in the mid 70's. The original main on Hummingbird #1110 '72 was like you describe. Then they changed the design adding more roach to the main. You might be able to go through the class rules and see when they changed the rule.

I bet this antique is so thin you could wad it up and stuff it in your back packet. Best to use this for wall paper in the kids room and buy a more modern sail.

Good Sailing,
Pete Harper
#1110 Hummingbird
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
10/27/2006 5:23 PM Pacific Time

Bob, On the safety issue comment you made I would think real hard about that. Thirty minutes from the dock on a lake can be a very long time.

In shallow waters, with high wind, the waves can actually become more difficult to handle than in open deep water due to the shoaling effect of the wave action actually going all the way to the bottom of the lake.

Safety measures and eternal vigilance are never in vain.

Greg

ps. This from a guy who got dumped out of his C22 on a lake twice! I learned my lesson. ;-) (twice)

gg
Jan P.
Grapevine, TX

Boat Name: Being Time

Model/Year: 1974 C22 Poptop/swing keel

Hull No. 4244

Hailing Port: Grapevine
10/28/2006 5:32 AM Pacific Time

I can add to the safety comment having been under both Shadow and Sunshadow on two separate occasions. We have sailed with the genoa to have a downwind advantage in the gen class.

Both times I elected to go into the water... the first time because we were caught in a microburst on a downwind run with the spin up and something didn't go right. I was on foredeck, and in deep fear of turtling with lines everywhere, I thought I could get off and make it around the boat. I didn't quite make it.

The second time was in a broach, the winds were high enough no other C22s went out, but we did with the 110. Got broached, and inexperienced crew to racing with jib sheet speed didn't help... I was on the high side, which became the low side. Somehow the lazy sheet wrapped around my left leg, and I had to let go in order to get free so they could get the boat back up. The boat didn't get back up fast enough before it went over me.

It's a pretty scary thing to have happen once, but twice is even scarier as a crew person. The flotation devices tend to kind of pin you under momentarily. Plus, there's the risk of getting caught in the keel in that situation.

This was on a lake 30 mins from a dock.
Bob Keim
Nashville

Hull No.

10/29/2006 5:09 AM Pacific Time

Greg, issues are not the same on an inland lake as they are on the open ocean, no question. The biggest waves we get around here are from towboats - occasionally 3'. Kentucky lake has a long fetch when winds are from the South, and it can get some larger swells, but those happen only once every half dozen years.

I'll agree that going overboard is a serious matter. However, as compared to racing to Isla Mujeres last May on a 38' boat in 15-20' waves and 40 mph winds, they problems do not compare. It was pretty obvious a MOB on that boat would result in spending the rest of your short life treading water.

Everyone has to set their own boundries. I have never broached or knocked down my C22. Some might say I lack experience. Others might say I have the experience to sail the boat WFO in high winds. Sailing in weather you normally wouldn't sail is the biggest advantage of racing, IMHO.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

10/29/2006 6:08 AM Pacific Time

Bob,

You are absolutely right about the differences between open water and lake sailing. The point I was trying (unsuccessfully it seems) to make is that you can never get too complacent on a sailboat. I think we lake sailors get too comfortable and don't keep things as taut as we should. 99.9% of the time being on Magnificat on Carlyle Lake here in Southern Illinois is like a floating picnic. I get comfortable and don't pay enough attention. I also have really bad habit of trusting non-sailors to do things without enough training or instruction. That is why I went into the drink one time. I ended up with a damaged whisker pole and a 25 minute swim while watching the chinese fire drill on the boat. I think the lesson took that time.

Lakes can be treacherous too with the rather dubious advantage that there is always a shore line somewhere relatively close, maybe even within reach in an emergency.

I love my C22 but don't always treat her with the respect that she deserves and every once in awhile she reminds me that I am not the final authority.

I can't wait until next season. I really miss my time on the boat.

Greg
Bob Keim
Nashville

Hull No.

10/30/2006 4:41 AM Pacific Time

Greg, Mike Wilson is trying to establish a C22 fleet on Kentucky Lake. The KLSC really treated us well at their 50K race. You could get in touch with Mike through the C22NSA Commodore, if you have any interest in sailing down there.

You are absolutley correct about the competency of folks left on the boat to do a MOB!

BTW, for those taking cholesterohl lowering drugs - have you tried swimming since you started taking them? They cause weak muscles in some people and made me so weak I could barely swim 10' after diving in the lake July 4th!
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Hull No. 473

10/31/2006 12:14 PM Pacific Time

Bob,

Thanks for the Kentucky Lake info. It is about a 4 hour drive from my house but a goal I have had is to make it down there for a week long cruise. Things always get in the way. I am a part time consultant and part time farmer with little time left over for fun and my passion which is my boat.

Oh well, if my job was easy then everyone would want it. BTW, do you know what you call twelve farmers in a basement???

A whine celler LOL

Greg
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
09/07/2009 7:54 PM Pacific Time

Back to sail size, does any one have the dim for a #3??
thank you
paul
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
09/08/2009 8:11 AM Pacific Time

The sails defined by the class can be found in the class rules at http://www.catalina22.org/ClassRules/classrules.htm.

They are:

Main

Jib (#3)

Genoa (#1)

Spinnaker

The size of foresails (in %) is determined from the "J" and "LP" dimensions.

J is the distance from the base of the mast to the tack point on the bow. This is fixed by the boat design and for the C22 is 8ft (96in). LP is the length of a line drawn from the clew and to the luff and perpendicular to the luff.

Divide the "LP" by the "J" to get the sail size .

LPDecimal%    #   
144.0in1.50  150%  #1
129.6in1.35  135%  #2
105.6in1.10  110%  #3

Note: that sail area is not defined by these measurements. Sail area is equal to 1/2 x LP x Luff

kenneth sheetz
greensburg

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974/cat 22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Pa
03/26/2018 8:14 AM Pacific Time

can anyone provide me the dimensions of a jib sail for a Cat 22 in inches and feet. Iam new to sailing so do not yet understand the percentage system for sails. I need to find a used jib for my boat before sailing season gets here. Kenpa

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / sail size