Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Inboard in C-22?

Author Inboard in C-22?
Austin
TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/16/2004 8:23 PM Pacific Time

I just got my catalina 22 a couple years ago (i'm 14) and i was wondering if anyone has ever put an inboard into a catalina 22? I hate my outboard and would kill to have an engine at the touch of an electric ignition
Geoff Endris
Carmel, IN

Boat Name: Repose

Model/Year: 1989

Hull No. 14949

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
06/17/2004 8:29 PM Pacific Time

Why don't you get an outboard with an electric start?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/18/2004 6:15 AM Pacific Time

Geoff,
Weight is a major factor in a c22. You will be much better served by the purchase of a new 5 or 6 Hp O/B. The cost of installing an engine would be extravagant and slow your boat down.
Good Luck!
Hobie

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/18/2004 11:39 AM Pacific Time

Geoff:

I saw a webpage about a year ago, cant remenber where, that showed a C-22 with a single cylinder diesel inbord. The owner made the modification himself, and was very hapy with the result.

J. Bruining
C-22 "Wingman"

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/19/2004 5:24 AM Pacific Time

Geoff,
Being a 14 yr old and having a c22 of your own is going to give great life experience with sailing and all it's concerns. First youv'e got a lot to learn to sail and handle your boat in many different weather conditions. Set your boat up to sail easily. Heck most of us on this thread are 2, 3 , 4 times your age and we are still learning about sailing. You have a long way to go, keep learning and surprise yourself most every day. This is a changing sport allowing for a great education. You don't need to be putting around, you need to be sailing. I've been sailing off and on since age 7 and still learning! :^).> Happy times
David Sulhoff
Fairbanks, AK

Boat Name: Sundae

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1977

Hull No. CTY7608M77J

Hailing Port: Harding Lake, AK
07/25/2005 12:36 AM Pacific Time

These are three problems that I can see as results of an inboard on the C-22:

1. A very difficult to access engine compartment in a boat not designed to house an inboard. Any maintenance would be a serious pain compared to the ease of access to all parts of an outboard.

2. (Assuming you have a swing keel) Unless your inboard is a jet-drive with directional thrusting, your ever-present rudder will prevent you from getting into more shallow water as you will need it to turn the boat - an outboard will steer the boat without a rudder installed.

3. Last, if your engine requires dealer servicing, than you are forced to pull the boat out and haul it to the yard, with an O/B, pull the motor off and keep sailing while it's getting worked on.

Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
07/26/2005 3:35 AM Pacific Time

First dont destriy a wonderful boat
It will not sail right with that type of mod The boat is not designed for it and you wont be able to enter into casual racing Its a wonderful learning tool
Let me know how you feel about it when your 18
Iv been sailing since i was 12 and now im 55 the catalina
is the best boat yet for fun
Please use it
If you want an inboard buy yourself a power boat If your a sailer you wont like it

Uwe
Henry A. Grant
MILLER PLACE

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/29/2012 1:57 AM Pacific Time

I have a built-in Yamaha 9.9HP-unit of an outboard motor in the right storage compartment at the rear and belt drive to the saildrive. The engine is a four-stroke twin cylinder gasoline with electric starter, the weight of the entire building is the same as for the outboard motor so the boat sailing experience does not worsen. Propeller blade folding, sorting, forward, neutral, reverse, is the gearbox under the ship - from foot outboard engine, al work on the new version revodovky with smaller dimensions. The engine I maximálnespokojen buildings. I added photos of the buildings here, I have a lot of them, but I do not know how.
Henry A. Grant
MILLER PLACE

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/29/2012 1:57 AM Pacific Time

I have a built-in Yamaha 9.9HP-unit of an outboard motor in the right storage compartment at the rear and belt drive to the saildrive. The engine is a four-stroke twin cylinder gasoline with electric starter, the weight of the entire building is the same as for the outboard motor so the boat sailing experience does not worsen. Propeller blade folding, sorting, forward, neutral, reverse, is the gearbox under the ship - from foot outboard engine, al work on the new version revodovky with smaller dimensions. The engine I maximálnespokojen buildings. I added photos of the buildings here, I have a lot of them, but I do not know how.

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Inboard in C-22?