Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Opening portholes

Author Opening portholes
Austin
TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
06/18/2004 4:12 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone considered replacing the aluminum windows with opening ones? Do they even exist?

Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Boat Name: Martha Pearl

Model/Year: 1980 C-22

Hull No. #9742

Hailing Port: Black River Bay, NY
06/19/2004 7:56 AM Pacific Time

Austin, I've thought about it a lot, but unless you want to cover the opening and start over again, I don't think anyone makes an opening port to fit our vintage.

One other thing I've considered is adding some rectangular opening ports forward of the main cabin ports. West Marine has several types that look like they could fit. Pages 568-569 in this year's catalog.

Chip Lee
Joseph Schuler
Princeton, NJ

Boat Name: Cats' Feet

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. K26

Hailing Port: Raritan Bay, NJ; RYC
06/22/2004 10:22 AM Pacific Time

I saw a boat (not a C22) that had cut holes for small round opening portholes INTO it's existing non-opening windows. They must have had lexan windows instead of our glass. I won't say that it looked nice, but it seemed to work for them.

I've been thinking about adding a single opening port to the center of that slanted portion of the deck forward of the mast. We seem to catch quite a few brief squalls when we sail, and it would be nice to be able to duck inside and see forward through said porthole, steering by Skip Meisch's method. What do you folks think of that?
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

06/23/2004 6:11 AM Pacific Time

Sounds like a decent idea, Joseph, but can you install a flat port in such a curved area as the forward edge of the cabin trunk? I'm thinking you might have to build a flattened surface out from there in order to install the port.

Thoughts?

Chip Lee
Joseph Schuler
Princeton, NJ

Boat Name: Cats' Feet

Model/Year: 1971

Hull No. K26

Hailing Port: Raritan Bay, NJ; RYC
06/24/2004 8:24 AM Pacific Time

The thought that I might need to build a flat section to bed the port is what has stopped me so far. I was thinking that with a small, 4 or 5 inch round port I could just shape a piece of Mahogany to fit the curve, and install the port on top of that...still trying to find solutions...

Joseph
Chip Lee
Utica, NY

Hull No. #9742

06/25/2004 7:06 AM Pacific Time

I'm very late getting my boat in the water this year, but I'm hoping to do it this weekend. The boat is 90 miles away, so I can't look at it right now.

I'll try to look at the forward area of the cabin trunk to see what might be done.

Chip
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
07/06/2006 7:52 PM Pacific Time

My '70 has two rectangular opening ports in the front slanted part of the cabin. They have a special drain to dain water from the well that the port becomes when installed at an angle. They never leaked until I pulled them to re-paint the boat and now I have a slight leak in the port window. I am going to pull it again and try to re-bed it one more time. They work just fine for air. The PO also installed two opening ports in the hull near the bow. I keep these closed on windy days to keep water out of the V bearth.

Greg

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Opening portholes