Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / How to get C22 off Trailer

Author How to get C22 off Trailer
A. Harry MacCorkle Jr
Pitman NJ

Boat Name: osprey

Model/Year: C-22 1970

Hull No. 109

Hailing Port: Earlville MD
06/21/2004 1:23 PM Pacific Time

I am trying to decide the best method to remove my 1970 C 22 From the trailer. The Trailer Framework failed and I Need to get he boat off the trailer to fix the trailer. I cannot launch the boat , so need some guidance in building a fram to support the boat
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
06/22/2004 3:29 AM Pacific Time

Here's how I do it.

First, you need stable ground under your trailer. Mine is an old garage pad.

Lower the toungue of your trailer as low as it goes using a floor jack placed at the trailer coupler.

Place 8 concrete blocks stacked 4 high at the transom on either side of the hull. For stability alternate the direction they are facing. The holes should be vertical. Place 2 6X6 boards across the stacks of concrete blocks under the transom. Place wedges under transom at curve to prevent the tendency of rolling from side to side.

Place 8 more concrete blocks on either side of boat so that they are just aft of the bow support roller. The inside edge should be 100" apart to allow the trailer wheels to clear when it is pulled out. Place another 6X6 across the trailer frame just aft of the bow support roller.

Begin lifting the tongue. I have to do this in stages. First stage is high enough to get a concret block with a piece of 2X4 on it under the skid plate at the tongue. Second stage is high enough to get 3 courses of concrete blocks under forward cross member.. Third stage allows me to place a 4X4 on the trailer frame at the forward support.

Based on the height of the trailer fenders make sure the bottom of the forward 6X6 is high enough to allow the fender to go under.

Once I begin the jacking process I can have the boat off the trailer in less than an hour without any help.

My next project is going to be to make cradles for the bow especially to fit the contour of the hull and thereby increase stability when it is resting on the 6X6.

Any questions you may have I'll try to answer.

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / How to get C22 off Trailer