Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Heave To

Author Heave To
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Boat Name: Windward

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13812

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
06/23/2004 7:25 AM Pacific Time

HAs anybody experimented with "heaving to" in their boat? Mailsail up? Mainsail Down? Partially furl (roller furling) the Genoa (I have a 150) or not?

I know various boats react differently and thought someone out there could save me some experimental time.

...Gerry
Kurt Green
Lake Villa, IL

Boat Name: Sharon Lee

Model/Year: C22 / 1973

Hull No. 2162

Hailing Port: Great Lakes, IL
06/24/2004 3:38 AM Pacific Time

I often heave to- with a working jib and unreefed mainsail.

Kurt Green
s/v Sharon Lee
C22 #2162 Great Lakes IL
http://hometown.aol.com/knights5/myhomepage/svsharonlee.html
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/24/2004 6:05 AM Pacific Time

Gerry - When I got my first boat (new in '76) a friend taught me his method. It works very well on a Calalina 22.

With both main and foresail up, tack the boat, but do not release the jib (or genoa). As the boat goes through the wind, release the main and push the tiller away, like you are trying to tack back. The jib will hold the bow down and the rudderr will try to force the bow up. When the forces balance each other, the boat will drift very slowly sideways even in a fresh breeze. To start sailing again, jusst release the jib, sheet in the main and center up the tiller.

You can also heave to to lower the sails. Just tie the tiller down insteard of just holding it there.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
06/26/2004 9:07 PM Pacific Time

I'm a US Sailing Keelboat Instructor and C22 National Sailing Association Board member who races and cruises Catalina 22's. This is the method US Sailing recommends and I teach. To be done safely, first go to a close hauled point of sail and start slightly luffing the sails (pinching) to slow the boat down almost to a stop, then tack and do not release the jib/genoa. While the jib/genoa sail is backwinded, push the tiller over "always" to leward while the boat is starting to turn, and adjust the mainsail pressure to a slight luff (don't let the sails flog) depending on wind velocity and drift. Some people tie their tiller off to leward to keep it over there while they do whatever they are going to do while heaved to. The concept is the pressure of the backed headsail and the tiller to leward counteract each other while the mainsail has very little or no pressure on it. If you try to do this while the boat has a lot of speed and forward motion, you will probably end up spinning a 360 circle. The key is to have the boat slowed down before trying to heave to. Hope this wasn't too long winded and helps!
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Boat Name: Windward

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13812

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
06/27/2004 12:26 PM Pacific Time

Thanks to all. Wasn't sure if it would work with a full 150 Genoa. Now all I need is a stiff breeze to try it. Thanks again.

...Gerry

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Heave To