Leaky Windows

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Bomar Trapazoidal Hatch

Author Bomar Trapazoidal Hatch
Cap10
Olathe, KS

Boat Name: Sweet Lilly

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Perry Lake, KS
06/27/2004 1:44 PM Pacific Time

I just noticed this weekend that the forward hatch on my 1988 C-22 #14724 has another crack. It seems like the hatch is in a perfect place for someone who is lounging on the fore deck to think that it is a good place to lay back onto. I guess I didn't get that message accross and now I have a leaky crack in the plexiglass.

I would like to find a used lens if possible, as I am almost afraid to look up what a new one would cost. I am pretty sure it is amde by Bomar and it is the trapezoid shape, dark lexan/plexiglass. Has anone found a stronger replacement that can actually be used as a backrest when laying on the fore deck?

Any thoughts or leads to find a source would be appreciated.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
06/28/2004 6:37 AM Pacific Time

I can offer this popular answer: try EBay.
Very often you don't have to go into bidding process and you can buy at the fixed price which is always below the retail price. Good luck.
#13485 "Spirit"
Lowell Richardson, Owner, Catalina Direct
Sacramento CA

Boat Name: Steamboat Willie

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake
06/28/2004 11:49 PM Pacific Time

When I last checked, Bomar, who has a very high opinion of themselves, wanted $139.95 for new glazing. Now you see why we don’t carry them!

The glazing on your Bomar forward hatch is regular Plexiglass. Remove the hatch lid and take it to any good plastic store and they can cut a new one for you. You can even specify thicker material for greater strength.

The challenge will be to get the plex to bond to the aluminum. Lewmar, who makes similar aluminum framed hatches with plex glazing, installs the plex to the aluminum while in a temperature and humidity controlled room to get a good bond. In practice, we have had many customers install new plex in their old frame with good success. Maybe it’s the English weather that gives Lewmar a challenge with the bond, I’m not sure. In any case it will be relatively inexpensive to give it a try.

If you are ever in need of a complete new hatch, we do have them available at prices lower than what Bowmar charges if you were to order directly from them. Our current price is $340.00, while Bomar’s is $483.00. Still expensive but at least it is $140.00 less expensive! (Note: prices as of 6/28/04)
Cap10
Olathe, KS

Boat Name: Sweet Lilly

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1988

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Perry Lake, KS
06/29/2004 5:05 AM Pacific Time

Thanks so much for the information. I am pretty handy in the garage and had considered finding/making my own lens, but was not sure what all I would be getting into. I will deffinately try that first know that a complete new hatch might end up being a solution, maybe over dry dock/winter maintenance.
david martin
hutchinson island fl

Boat Name: barefoot gourmet

Model/Year: cat 22 1977

Hull No. 7942 (?)

Hailing Port: Hutchinsom Island Fl
06/30/2004 6:59 AM Pacific Time

I have a ' 77 with a fibreglass hatch cover and would like to replace with a Lexan cover which would fit over the existing frame molded into the dec , does anyone have any solutions? I am not going to get into cutting another hole in the deck which has a turtle back shape David
Tony Pacaro
Lansdale, PA

Boat Name: Provolone

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1988

Hull No. 14733

Hailing Port: Quakertown, PA
07/29/2004 2:56 PM Pacific Time

Responding to Wayne's inquiry, I have a 1988 C22 and I successfully replaced and upgraded my hatch lens using 3/8" smoked polycarbonate I got from a local glass store. The new lens is very stiff, and I have accidentally stepped on it a couple of times with no problems. The material is easily shaped with a band saw. I attached to the aluminum frame with black silicone. Has gone through two seasons and no leaks. Total repair less than $50.
Willard Morton
Montgomery, TX

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1988 C-22

Hull No. CTYH4531K788

Hailing Port: Lake Conroe
08/20/2005 12:10 PM Pacific Time

Tony, Were you able to reuse the black rubber gasket? If so, how did you reattach it.

Also, my 1988 hatch leaks at both of the handles. Did you get some replacement gaskets for this location? I have tightened them as much as I think that I can without cracking the plastic. Does anyone have a suggestion on how they solved this problem?

Brian
New Fairfield, CT

Boat Name: lynne

Model/Year: Catalina 22, 1988

Hull No.

Hailing Port: New Fairfield, CT
07/07/2007 6:38 AM Pacific Time

I have a slightly different problem with my bomar hatch on my 88 catalina 22. Either by Bomar or by Catalina it was mounted off center, so the starboard fitting for the slide that supports the hatch when up, catches on the edge of the lower frame. This cracked the lower starboard corner of the plexi. Same mounting problem on another catalina 22 of similar vintage at our sailing club. Just off my about 1/16". Of course, screws are frozen in the hinge and it would be difficult to recenter. Any history of catalina or bomar suggesting a fix for this?

Leaky Windows
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Leaky Windows / Bomar Trapazoidal Hatch