Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Stains

Author Stains
Ron Rubin
Yardville, NJ

Boat Name: Blue Moon

Model/Year: 22', 1992

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Toms River, NJ
06/28/2004 9:08 AM Pacific Time

Wood stain was acciedntly spilled on the hull. I have tri3ed a variety of methods to remove the stain but nothing has worked. Can anybody suggest something that will remove the stains?
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
06/29/2004 5:40 AM Pacific Time

I have a big oak tree in my driveway. I left the boat out under the tree and had falling oak leaves all over it. The tannin from the leaves left terrible stains on the deck. I tried everything and nothing worked; until someone suggested cholorine bleach. I applied it full strength and used an electric rotary scrubber. Now my deck is white again. Give it a try.
Lowell Richardson, Owner, Catalina Direct
Sacramento CA

Boat Name: Steamboat Willie

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Folsom Lake
06/29/2004 11:47 PM Pacific Time

Not sure about wood stain, but the leaf problem can be solved easily with a product marketed by Davis Instruments (they market the Windex and many other products you are familiar with). It’s called simply FSR (fiberglass stain remover).

It is a gel form so it can be applied to a vertical surface. Just wipe some on with a rag (use gloves), let it sit for a few minutes, rinse it off and the stain is gone. No scrubbing necessary! Works well for diesel exhaust stain on the transom of larger boats also. We don’t carry it but any good marine chandlery will have it.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/01/2004 6:04 AM Pacific Time

Sorry Lowell, but I have to disagree. FSR was my first choice of weapons. It did not make a dent with the stains! It was the good old fashioned bleach that finally saved the day. A lot cheaper than FSR too.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/01/2004 8:39 AM Pacific Time

Give," Bar Keeper Friend" a try, wet the area, apply let set a whilerub with cloth, rince off.......

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Stains