Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / quick release fore/side stay anchor

Author quick release fore/side stay anchor
jamie wheal
Mt. Airy, MD

Boat Name: Peggy-O

Model/Year: 1990

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Annapolis
06/30/2004 5:04 PM Pacific Time

just wondering if anyone has a recommended QR pin to use for securing cdi furler and forestays--the clevis ring/pin combos are a right pain to use when trailering each time.

Thanks!
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
06/30/2004 11:31 PM Pacific Time

I use a toggle pin on my forward lowers. To release the forward lowers I slack off on the backstay completely (it is still connected for safety but very loose), and take a strain on a rope connected to the the forestay, which has been released. Shrouds and lowers are still connected. This tips the mast forward slightly, giving the forward lowers plenty of slack and enabling me to pull our the pins holding the forward lower turnbuckles. The first few times I dropped the mast I used to loosen the turnbuckles to get slack, but that slowed rigging and de-rigging time. Now all turnbuckles are preset and ready to go. I hope that's clear to you.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Hull No. 13369

06/30/2004 11:33 PM Pacific Time

Sorry - I responded before reading your request further. I don't have an answer for your furler as I don't use one.
Bayard Gross
Greenwich, CT

Boat Name: Baby Blue

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 9911

Hailing Port: Greenwich, CT
12/19/2004 6:18 PM Pacific Time

I have a CDI furler. Paul's use of toggle pins on his forward shrouds can be used on the forestay with a CDI furler.

These are called Clevis toggle pin quick release, 1/4" X 5/8" by Catalina Direct. They are Product #D1664. A picture of them can be seen in the Rigging - Standing Rigging scetion of the store here. You could use these on all your shrouds and stays, so you will need eight. But order ten, and that way you'll always have spares.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Hull No. 13369

12/20/2004 2:01 PM Pacific Time

My guess is you only need three - Forestay and forward lowers. Because you don't disconnect the other turnbuckles, you can save the cost and stick with normal clevis pins, unless you remove your mast and rigging totally from the boat for some reason.
Bill Cramer
Riverside, CA

Boat Name: Flextime II

Model/Year: C22 1971

Hull No. 547

Hailing Port: Riverside
12/20/2004 5:31 PM Pacific Time

Is there any concern about using quick release Clevis pins in high wind conditions?

Thanks
Bill
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
12/20/2004 9:36 PM Pacific Time

Bill,
The shear on the Avibank R & M type quick pins is 8,200 lbs. The shear is listed on there web site for all the pins the make .
http://www.avibank.com/index.cfm
hope this helps you make your decision. Sure makes rigging faster.
Tip. use landyards. :)

Bill Cramer
Riverside, CA

Boat Name: Flextime II

Model/Year: C22 1971

Hull No. 547

Hailing Port: Riverside
12/21/2004 3:15 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Ken for the reference and the data. I do not preceive a pin shearing as much as possibly popping out. My concern is that even according to their specs, they allow about .04 space between the pin and the hole it slides through. What if ordinary wear and tear makes it .08. I know I wouldn't be able to see the difference. I have quick releases on the front shrouds of Flextime II and haven't had a problem, but never really had to test them in high winds. At the most, maybe 15+ knots.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
12/21/2004 3:32 PM Pacific Time

The picture of the toggle pins on the Catalina Direct catalog page 4.11 shows a significant flat (>0.125") both above and below the pin when the toggle is at 90 degrees. The spring looks like it is designed to keep the toggle loaded against the side of the shackle. I would wager that as long as the spring was functioning properly, the toggle pin can't wiggle out, regardless of wind strength or vibration.

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / quick release fore/side stay anchor