Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Taking on water thru clamshell vents

Author Taking on water thru clamshell vents
Chuck
East Meadow, NY

Boat Name: Doo Dad

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. 12418

Hailing Port: Bayshore, NY
07/01/2004 6:02 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone have a solution to prevent water from entering the forward clamshell vent when listing heavily on a starboard tack? I ended up bailing about 5 gallons from the bilge area after sailing in some heavy winds this past weekend.
Dave S.
Alexandria, Minnesota

Boat Name: Zephyr

Model/Year: 1976 C22

Hull No. 5609

Hailing Port: Alexandria, Minnesota
07/02/2004 5:07 AM Pacific Time

At dock, I jam a rag into both the forward and aft clamshell vents to keep insects and birds out. Seems to me something like that could work for your situation as well.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/02/2004 6:09 AM Pacific Time

A few strips of duct tape applied before you go sailing and removed immediately afterward.
Rob Bridges
Port Townsend, WA

Boat Name: N/A

Model/Year: C22/1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Port Townsend, WA
06/19/2006 9:02 PM Pacific Time

I had this problem so I took the forward vent off and turned it around and have no problem with water now.

The compartment is still fully vented. I also have a Nicro scoo vent on the bow so there is plenty of air circulating through the boat.

Cheers,

Rob B
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
06/20/2006 3:28 AM Pacific Time

Try stuffing a large sponge in the vent. More better is to depower so you are not heeled so much, it is way slow.

Glenn
Dain White
Moscow, ID

Boat Name: Festina Lente

Model/Year: Catalina 22

Hull No. 2132

Hailing Port:
07/07/2009 9:02 AM Pacific Time

I finally found a decent solution for this - the lids of the small cans of Blue Diamond almonds are almost an exact fit for the interior openings of the clamshell vents, and work great.
David Torrisi
Santa Clara, CA

Boat Name: Dumbo

Model/Year: 1975 C-22

Hull No. 4330

Hailing Port: Santa Clara
07/07/2009 10:20 AM Pacific Time

Dain,
I agree with Glenn. It may seem like fun to 'wash the windows' but it's actually pretty slow sailing. You're likely going faster sideways than forward.

David

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/08/2009 7:41 AM Pacific Time

Before we learned to sail her upright we used a sponge. Always wanted to have the ability to air out quickly as the gas can was in that locker, and when we heeled we had drips out the top vent.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/11/2009 8:06 PM Pacific Time

Covering the forward facing or any vent is defeating the purpose of the vent(s) while sailing. It's while you're moving that the air circulation works best and you have the most chance of leaking fuel causing gas fumes which sink to your bilge. And what if you forget to remove the tape, sponge or lid? If you MUST sail the boat with that much heel, you have too much sail up and should reef. Sailing that heeled is stressing the boat, standing rigging and running rigging and is UNSAFE and a disaster waiting to happen if you don't reef. Just my humble opinion from 25 years of sailing a C22, and being a ASA and US Sailing Keelboat Instructor.
Pat Noonan
Fairhope, Al

Boat Name: Blue Dog

Model/Year: ?

Hull No. ?

Hailing Port: Fairhope, Al
07/24/2009 3:36 AM Pacific Time

Remove both vents and fiberglass over. This requires keeping the gas tank in the cockpit....where it should be anyway for safety. Keeps the gas fumes out of the interior of the boat.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Taking on water thru clamshell vents