Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Winches installation

Author Winches installation
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
07/01/2004 7:49 PM Pacific Time

Hi everyone.
I recently purchased a pair of Lewmar #16 ST winches as replacement for 2 original winches on my C22. I took the old ones off but I'm not sure if I know enough to install new ones. In the manual they talk about applying "bedding compound" to the under side of the winch base. They don't specify what product or product type should be used. I thought about 3M marine sealer. Could someone point me into right direction?
Thanks.
-Art
Spirit #13485
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
07/01/2004 9:16 PM Pacific Time

3M 4200 remember to dry mount and mast off the area before applying. Makes for a neater job and easier clean-up
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
07/02/2004 6:06 AM Pacific Time

Art - You can use any good marine sealant. The main idea is to seal all the holes you drill in the coaming to mount the winch base. You want to prevent moisture from getting into the plywood core under the surface fiberglas.. I once saw a winch pad after a winch had been torn out by the roots during a collision. There was just a black nasty-looking hole, where the winch had been. It was not a pretty sight.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/02/2004 6:24 AM Pacific Time

I agree with Dick. I replace mine with Harken winches a year ago. I use Lexel (co-polymer) sealant because you can buy it at you local hardware store and because it never really drys but is always thick, sticky and waterproof. Lexel even goes on wet surfaces. You can a couple shots of my new winches and cleats at www.leachs.com.

Robert
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
07/02/2004 6:41 AM Pacific Time

Thank you guys. I will be on my way to local Home Depot store to see what they can offer.
Have a great weekend sailing.
-Art
Spirit #13485

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Winches installation