Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Extending Trailer Tongue

Author Extending Trailer Tongue
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Boat Name: Windward

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13812

Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
07/09/2004 9:17 AM Pacific Time

I have a an 86 Catalina 22 on a Trai-Rite trailer with surge brakes. This spring I decide to get fancy and extend the tongue to launch my boat. Whoops--can't extend the tongue without disconnecting the surge brakes. Anybody have a nifty solution for this problem? Quick disconnect?

...Gerry Sheehan
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
07/09/2004 1:07 PM Pacific Time

Champion Trailers or DHM both have the Brass quick disconnect.
Stephen Yingst
Glen Ellen, California

Boat Name: Third Flight

Model/Year: C22 - 1988

Hull No. 14644

Hailing Port: Sausalito
07/30/2004 8:22 AM Pacific Time

My trailer, which is 16 yrs old, has an extendable tongue which is permanently rusted in place. I am looking for a bolt-on tongue extender. In the past I have seen these advertised in various sizes; I don't remember where. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance, Stephen
JT Clark
Centerville, UT

Boat Name: Sail's Call

Model/Year: '77 Catalina 22

Hull No. 6766

Hailing Port: GSL, Salt Lake City, UT
07/31/2004 1:38 PM Pacific Time

I would spend some more effort trying to break loose the current extendable tongue. If you buy another tongue extension it will likley need to occupy the space, currently occupied by the sleeve the extendable tongue sits in anyway.
My trailer is 27 years old, and mostly trailered to salt water. After it sat for a while, it took a lot of effort to loosen the tongue, but it is possible. Now, after the boat's rebirth I use it once a week and can extend the tongue by hand.
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
07/31/2004 4:10 PM Pacific Time

I just had my tongue extension replaced at a weldeing shop for $60. I spent more than that in time at $10/hr trying to get the old one working
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
08/02/2004 8:36 PM Pacific Time

I am just about to pull the trailer from under my boat and do an extensive rebuild on it. I will add brakes and an extendable tongue in a different way. I will have a pivot tongue in addition to the normal tongue. When brought around it will lie along the normal tongue. The drill is that you pull up and use the stiff leg to hold the tongue up to disconnect. Then pull ahead to pivot the launch tongue into place. You hook up to the launching tongue and launch the boat. Time will tell.
Stephen Yingst
Glen Ellen, California

Boat Name: Third Flight

Model/Year: C22 - 1988

Hull No. 14644

Hailing Port: Sausalito
08/03/2004 8:04 AM Pacific Time

That sounds like a great idea, Dick. Hope you take pictures and share when you're done. Stephen
Charlie Gallagher
Lynn, Ma.

Boat Name: Kestrel

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13174

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Ma.
08/20/2004 6:33 AM Pacific Time

Dick,
Small world, I'm doing the same thing. I have a Trail-Rite single axel bunk trailer with surge brakes. I really need to get a little deeper into the water to launch/retrieve the boat. I drew up a sketch of what I wanted, (sounds just like yours, a secong hinged tongue,) but I,m having a little difficulty finding a trailer shop (or anyone) that is willing to do the job for less that $1,000.! I'm looking at machine shops that can just make the pieces and I'll put it together.`I've also a friend that will do the welding but I'm not sure I want to do that on a galvanized trailer. The idea is to minimize the work all around.
Thomas G. Guydos
California

Boat Name: Sandee

Model/Year: C-22 1978

Hull No. 8351

Hailing Port: Morro Bay. California
08/21/2004 7:07 PM Pacific Time

Use a brakeline Hose on the toung and hold it in plase with a bungee cord. This way you can pull the toung out.
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Hull No. 4570

08/21/2004 8:53 PM Pacific Time

Somebody on this bulletin board, I think it's Randy, has a website with a photo of this secondary tongue done on a trailer for a larger boat. If I were to do one for you I would feel guilty charging over $400 but your galvanizing would be gone at the welds.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
08/22/2004 4:14 PM Pacific Time

That was me - I posted a picture to Randy's web site on

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/c22maint.htm

It seems like a really inexpensive, yet practical solution.

Paul
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
08/22/2004 4:25 PM Pacific Time

Another point - Why do you need to have a brake on the tongue extension? You're only using it at the ramp. Sounds like unnecessary expense to me.

Paul
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Hull No. 4570

08/22/2004 8:05 PM Pacific Time

You missed the point Paul, the secondary tongue extension has no brakes on it , It's to avoid taking the brake line loose in order to extend the tongue.
Fred Apstein
Gabriola Is BC

Boat Name: Scruples

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No. 95

Hailing Port: Gabriola Is BC
09/01/2004 7:35 PM Pacific Time

I have a trailer with extending tongue. The tongue goes through a square tube a couple of feet long with a pin through tongue and tube to lock it in place.

The tongue won't extend. I have not yet had sucess in getting it free. I've poured WD 40 and ATF down the various holes for several months to no avail.

I'm finishing the other work (remove, blast and paint swing keel, new winch) and it will be time to launch soon.

Does anyone have suggestions to free my tongue? I haven't tried serious heat yet.

The ramps here on Gabriola Island (Gulf Islands BC, Canada) are mostly roads to rock beaches flat enough to drive on. Not real steep, so I need all the extension I can get.

Thanks
Fred
Floyd McKenzie
Freeport, FL

Boat Name: Honey Do

Model/Year: C-22/1976

Hull No. 5573

Hailing Port: Freeport, FL
09/02/2004 9:27 AM Pacific Time

had the same problem with our extension. I tried about everything you have done so far, we also used PB Blaster. In our case we received a couple of suggestions: (1) Attach the trailer to the vehicle trailer hitch--attach a "come along" type ratchet winch between the back end of the trailer and another stationary structure, such as a large tree trunk or wooden telephone pole (we used chain), and with the holding pin out of tongue try to free or break loose the tongue--in our case we lightly increased the tension on the tongue with the winch and would stop for a short time and tap on the opening where the tongue lodged and spray more lubricant--in our case we did not have to put a lot of tension between the tree and the rear end of the trailer (probably all the lubricant that had been spayed that had soaked in over a number of days)--we took it very very slowly (we were being cautious not to bend or break any part of the trailer)-- (2) the other suggestion was to secure the rear of the trailer to a tree or telephone pole while the tongue was attached to the vehicle and use the vehicle to pull the tongue loose--I don't know how this would work but seems like you could cause damage to the trailer, vehicle, or both. I think the key is to take it slow and easy with the winch tension
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
09/02/2004 11:15 AM Pacific Time

How much extension do you guys have? 3'? 5'? past the standard ball hitch....???

Garrett
Floyd McKenzie
Freeport, FL

Boat Name: Honey Do

Model/Year: C-22/1976

Hull No. 5573

Hailing Port: Freeport, FL
09/02/2004 12:20 PM Pacific Time

I think our extension gives us about 3 ft--we only use it depending on the ramp angle
Tim Foster
Southlake, TX

Boat Name: Seabiscuit

Model/Year: Cat 22

Hull No. 7677

Hailing Port: Grapevine Lake
05/22/2005 8:13 PM Pacific Time

I know this is an older string, but I thought I would add something since I was having a lot of trouble with this.

If you are having trouble extending the hitch, try using the the trailer jack to slightly raise the trailer hitch and take the pressure of the exender. In my case the angle between my truck hitch and the trailer was pinching the extending hitch. It worked for me and saved a lot of time at loading / unloading time. Thanks to David Hayslip who helped me out.
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Boat Name: Time Out

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

Hailing Port: Portland
08/20/2005 7:14 AM Pacific Time

This is a great thread on the trailer tounge. My question is how often does one need it? I've just purchased a C-22 and am having all of the brake/electrical systems replaced on the trailer as they're all shot ($400 -- I found a heavy machine shop that specializes in very large rigs who will do it as a small fill-in job for very little). So, is the angle of the boat ramp that makes the difference on extending the tongue? Or is it a convenience thing?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/20/2005 10:10 AM Pacific Time

It all depends on the steepness of the boat ramp under the water. You need to float the boat off, and its good to do so without putting the back of your tow vehicle into the water. I have two ramps in my area that I don't need the extension, one that always needs it, and one that needs it some of the time. I drilled a "half-extension" hole for the in- between ramps. One disadvantage of the extension is that if the ramp has a crown, the extension drags.
Ken G. Brown

Boat Name:

Model/Year: '88 Swing Keel

Hull No. #14764

Hailing Port: Leduc, Alberta, Canada
08/21/2005 7:47 AM Pacific Time

Here are some pics of the one I just built for my C22.
http://homepage.mac.com/kbrown/PhotoAlbum7.html I can extend it 8 ft. if necessary, but can pin it where I need it. Made from 2 1/2" square tubing, 0.25" wall. A bolt near the aft end keeps it from pulling out or going too far retracted. Deflects a couple inches when fully extended to 8 ft. I have not tested yet in real conditions since I have not had the boat out since I built it. I looked at all the diferent styles of extendes and thought this would do the best for me. It should be easy to transfer to, then just drive ahead to pull it out while still on the jack. I wanted to avoid having trouble to line up the tow vehicle which would be the case if using a fold out style.
Ken Brown
88 C22 Swing #14764, Alberta, Canada
Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

08/21/2005 8:50 AM Pacific Time

Michael: thanks, paticularly for the tip re crowning boat ramps. I supposed I won't know about how our ramp works until I try it. I'm guessing the bunks need to be fully submerged (at least 20") to float the boat into them even with the winch to help.

Ken: great pics! My trailer's bar extends already but I'm about to have the brakes/lighting replaced and will likely have to ensure there's some sort of quick-connect at the top of the unit so that I can extend/retract the bar as needed.

Many thanks for the help.
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Hull No. 13812

08/21/2005 10:28 AM Pacific Time

For me the biggest reason for using the trailer extension is to keep my truck's wheels, brakes and rear differential out of the salt water.

The rear differential on my truck has a vent which can take on salt water if it is submerged deep enough. And salt water will play havok with brakes and wheels.

All this may be different for fresh water sailors.

Sean Madian
Portland, OR

Hull No. CL 3839 FX

08/22/2005 5:14 AM Pacific Time

I'd read about the differential issue in the Cat-22 owners manual and on a few forums. I'm a fresh water sailor but am not eager to dunk my vehicle ('01 Audi Allroad). The extension seems like a natural solution but will require extra work on the brake lines/electrical.

One question: once the boat is out (assuming the tongue is extended), how do you reinsert the tongue? Drop the wheel or block the trailer to relieve weight on the ball joint? That's the only way I can think of to remove the pressure from the extension thereby allowing it to slide back into place.
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
08/22/2005 10:36 AM Pacific Time

With my Trail-Rite trailer I need to use the trailor jack to take the load off the tongue when extending and contracting it. It tends to sag a bit and bind up so some adjustment is usually necessary during the process. I block the trailer wheels with a couple of pieces of 2x4.
I need to get my trailer fenders just underwater by an inch or two for the boat to float but I have raised the bunks 1 1/2 inches to make sure the keel is not carrying the boat weight when on the road so I may have to go a bit deeper than others.
At the ramp I usually use, the trailer jack just bumbs the lip of the ramp as I back down. Makes a lot of noise but doesn't break anything. The back wheels of the Explorer are just touching the water when the boat is floating.
Gerry Sheehan
Olympia, WA

Hull No. 13812

08/23/2005 7:03 AM Pacific Time

I know it is a pain but I usually block the wheels and then jack the trailer off the trailer ball, the pull the extension out or push it it in manually without it being hitched to my truck. The I rehitch. I've never tried it while remaining hitched.
Kevin and Pat
Miranda, CA

Boat Name: HOPE

Model/Year: Catalina 22 1971

Hull No. #403

Hailing Port: Miranda, CA
11/29/2005 6:35 PM Pacific Time

We are totally new to this. We have not yet launched our C22 on a single axel Trailrite (a big list of things to do first). We just extracted the trailer extention after a bit of work and then lightly sanded rough spots and applied a liberal amout of grease. The extention now slides easily. We have noticed that when the extentiion is fully extended or fully rectracted two pin holes line up, one forward of the bow support and one just aft. Does this mean one should use two pins for safely?
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
11/29/2005 7:19 PM Pacific Time

I use two pins on my trailer, I also found that if I painted the inside of the tube that I didn't need to use grease. You will find out why when you launch, try as you will it will still get all over you. Oh, I also use a locking pin if I leave the trailer at a strange ramp say for a week or so while cruising.
Bill Seger
Lombard Illinois

Boat Name: "Free Willy"

Model/Year: swing 1988

Hull No. 14282

Hailing Port: Winthrop Harbor,Illinois
12/04/2005 8:09 PM Pacific Time

After many years of thinking about it ,I decided to get serious about an extension tongue,so I took a portable band saw and cut the head off of my trailmaster trailer.I then took it to a welding shop and found a piece of stock that would slide inside the trailer framing member and had the shop weld the pieces together. When I got home,I took a hole saw and drilled two holes in the back of the trailer frame so the extension can slide back in when not in use. I used a sawzall to open up a square where the framing comes to a tee . I purchased quick disconect fittings for the surge brake system.When I went to bleed the brakes I found that the actuator and piston were rusted shut.More trips to the parts store and that step was completed. To finish the job I drilled three holes for locking pins .I probably spent about $500 for the whole job,while a couple of fancy trailer shops quoted about $3000 to do the whole thing! After I pull my boat out of the water,I take the weight off the tongue with the swivel jack,and slowly back up until its all back in place.My only regret is that I didn't do this ten years ago!
Chas St.Denis
Milpitas, CA

Boat Name: Saintly

Model/Year: C 22 1974

Hull No. 3259

Hailing Port: Back yard
12/05/2005 9:05 PM Pacific Time

An extendable tongue is quite handy. I ended up purchasing an 8 ft extention hitch from a place called Extend a Hitch, in Hayward, California, for around $350 (I still had to install it) I wish I had your talent, cause a custom made item will almost always work better
Bill Hurni
Hendersonville, NC

Boat Name: Wingin' it

Model/Year: 1990 CP26

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Keowee Sailing Club
04/21/2006 10:29 AM Pacific Time

Garrett,
I had the same problem with my C22 trailer when I bought the boat. The extendable tongue was rusted in place and wouldn't budge. I took it to a welding shop and had the tongue, the square tube it slides through, the hitch and the winch all replaced. I think it ended up costing about $160 plus the hitch and the winch. Needless to say, I didn't argue with the price! I have almost 8' of extension now and with the gradual ramps I use, I need every bit of it. A little grease on the extending tongue keeps it sliding very easily. If your tongue is rusted in place, just replace the tongue and the tube it slides in. You'll be happier in teh long run.
Greg Guenther
Belleville, IL

Boat Name: Magnificat

Model/Year: 1970

Hull No. 473

Hailing Port: Belleville, IL
04/22/2006 8:19 PM Pacific Time

My trailer (which wasn't designed for a C 22) has an extendable tongue. It is a three inch square tube and is a completely separate item. It has a trailer ball mounted about 2 ft. from one end and a couple of flat iron pieces with a bolt on each end. You put the ball into the existing trailer hitch and lock it. Then use the two flat iron pieces to hold up the aft end of the tube. It is about ten feet long giving me an additional 8 ft. of trailer tongue. The only downside is that you have to fasten it to the trailer somehow for traveling. I settled on bungee cords and just lay it on top of the frame and tie it to the bunk board braces.

I seldom use it on our local lake but the tailpipe of my Silverado is under water when I launch. The idea of a vent on the differential never occured to me but you can be sure that I will check that out and if there is one, I will drain the oil and replace it ASAP.

If anyone wants a picture of the rig and isn't in a huge rush (the boat is at the lake on hard storage) I will take one and email it to you. You can get me at : [email protected]

Good luck.

Greg
Johnathan Rosenthal
Liahona Point

Boat Name: Broughtned

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/29/2010 8:44 AM Pacific Time

We bought a 10' "extend-a-hitch" from www.extendahitch.com - works like a charm
Cheryl
Springfield, VA

Boat Name: Not the Winchester

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Pohick Bay, VA
10/29/2010 8:44 AM Pacific Time

We bought a 10' "extend-a-hitch" from www.extendahitch.com - works like a charm

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Extending Trailer Tongue