Trailers / Trailering

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Great Lakes cruising

Author Great Lakes cruising
Mark Brueggeman
Cincinnati, OH

Boat Name: John B

Model/Year: C-22 1984

Hull No. 12027

Hailing Port: Grand Lake St. Marys
07/09/2004 5:23 PM Pacific Time

Would like to hear from C-22 sailors with Lake Mich, Huron or Erie experience. Just back from a week on Grand Traverse Bay and I'm hooked. Most interested in North Channel and Erie Islands(close).
Mark ([email protected])
Ed Boochard
Kingsport, TN

Boat Name: Tai Pan

Model/Year: C22 / 1987

Hull No. 13833

Hailing Port: Muskegon, MI
12/31/2008 10:16 AM Pacific Time

Mark, I started sailing Lake Mich. in a C22 in '87, before that in a wet boat(Laser). If you had a great time on GT bay, you should have jumped over to Leland, this is about a 15 mile tow. From there you have another 12 mile sail to big, and little Manitou island. Little Manitou is a wilderness island, and can be a great 3-4 day adventure.
Another great area north of TC is Mackinaw Island. You can put in at either Mackinaw City, or St. Ignace, with a short sail to Mackinaw Island. There you can tie up at the coal docks and roam the island. There are a number of other islands to the east for day sailing adventures. All of these lead to the North Channel.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
12/31/2008 11:20 PM Pacific Time

Mark: Fleet 130 in Detroit hosts a week long cruise on the Great Lakes each summer. We have sailed all the lakes except Superior so this summer we are going to sail for a week in the Apostle Islands out of Bayfield WI. Normally have about 8-10 boats but expect a few more this year. Visit our fleet web site for more information or watch the Main Brace for details.

Mike
Rich Fox
Indianapolis

Boat Name: SeDepecher

Model/Year: 2006

Hull No. 15582

Hailing Port: Indianapolis, IN
01/01/2009 5:54 AM Pacific Time

Mark-

As Mike Bracket noted, a bunch of us Catalina 22 sailors have enjoyed a Catalina 22 (only) Cruise during the past 8 years. These are week long cruises and are usually done in late July or early August. Past cruises included: Grand Traverse Bay, Western Lake Erie Islands, SE Lake Ontario, Lake-Huron/St.Clair/Lake Erie (Endurance Cruise), Door County/Green Bay. Geoff Endris is organizing the 2009 Cruise to the Apostle Islands - sailing out of Bayfield, Wisconsin the last week of July.

Camaraderie is excellent. Sailing weather is great.

Are you interested in more information about this year's cruise?
We currently have 6 boats committed...expecting a total of 8 to 10 boats.
Info coming out in the January and March issues of MainBrace magazine - mailed to members of the C22NSA.

-Rich
Bill Kramer
Indianapolis,IN

Boat Name: Catalina

Model/Year: 22/1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/24/2013 8:15 AM Pacific Time

To Rich Fox: Rich, I am a fellow C22 sailor (10 yr. hiatus from sailing) Hoosier from Indy. Boat is up at Macatawa in Holland now. Are you doing a week-long sail on Great Lakes this year? [email protected] Thanks
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
07/27/2013 2:41 PM Pacific Time

Bill: funny you should ask. we just returned today from a week at the Erie Islands. only 7 boats but great weather and great sailing. only rain we had all week was today when we were hauling out.
send me some of you contact info and I will include you on our cruise info for next year. location is not set up yet. Maybe the northern part of Huron....
Gunsmokenineonefivezeroatcomcastdotnet

Trailers / Trailering
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Trailers / Trailering / Great Lakes cruising