Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Bulkhead and Foam Flotation

Author Bulkhead and Foam Flotation
Steve Lee
Lawrence, Kansas

Boat Name: LeeWay

Model/Year: C22 1976

Hull No. 6029

Hailing Port: Perry Yacht Club
07/18/2004 9:19 PM Pacific Time

I just purchased at 1976 C22. The boat has been in dry storage since last Sept. In looking into the bilge in the keel winch area I saw this - see link for picture.

http://www.geocities.com/bigcatcher2000/catalina.html

I have 2 questions. The partition where the sink drain in coming from is rotten and will have to be removed, but here are my questions. Is this partition (bulkhead) stock or was it installed by some previous owner? Behind is old foam flotation, is this stock?

Since there are several cabin leaks, this old foam flotation seems to be soaking up water and depositing it in the bilge. I would like to remove it. Should I?
I have the same foam under the aft compartment under the vee-berth.

Thanks for your answers.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22 '76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
07/19/2004 6:45 AM Pacific Time

Of the three Cat-22's that I have had, none have had floatation in them, I do not see the need. If you are cruising, you need the space for storage, if you are racing you don't want extra weight. It just seems to be in the way to do any work and get at things. That is my opinion, fro what it's worth, Al Ge
Lance Anderson
Kenai, Alaska

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 2367

Hailing Port: Kenai, Alaska
07/20/2004 3:55 PM Pacific Time

My boat has flotation as well: a) the area under the cockpit b) the aft starboard storage area(not immediatly under the lazeratte but the entire area under the storage hole below up to and including the area under the sink drain c)all of the bow storage area except the aft most storage box. A year or two ago with the help of a fellow lister I ran the calculations to determine actual flotation gained. We determined that if my boat we to fill completely with water say the keel tore out, the vessel would float to just put the rub rail in the water. I sail in cold Alaska waters were safety is a major concern. I know that my boat is unsinkable. Also if I were to hit something and hole the bow the foam in there would greatly staunch the flow of water. I purchased my boat with the foam in place. I will leave it. When I need to get to the lower rudder gungeon I will cuss about it, remove it, make the repair, then replace it. Regarding water in the boat. My cockpit drain thru-hull was leaking I took on 7 or 8 gallons. Over the course of a couple of days more water continued to enter the bilge area(leaking from the foam areas. I kept it sucked up with a shop vac and it soon stopped. I pulled a small chunk of foam out and soaked it in a glass of water for days. It would not suck up and/or hold water at all.
That is all I can think of for now. If you have any questions of me please ask.
Lance
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
07/20/2004 6:06 PM Pacific Time

RE: C22 Flotation

In 1976, I purchased a new C22 and one of the options was flotation. I have the original order form around here somewhere with all of the options and those I ordered. I ordered the flotation in that boat, hull no. 6991. Sails were optional, forward hatch, too.

I paid 5K for the new boat with factory sails and from what I've heard, the factory makes a heck of a good sail now.

Larry
Steve Lee
Lawrence, Kansas

Hull No. 6029

07/20/2004 8:21 PM Pacific Time

Lance, I can understand why you might need the foam flotation in Alaska. It is good to know that it doesn't soak up water. Most of the sailing I do is on a large inland lake in the spring thru fall in Kansas, so I really don't need it. I plan to cut it out. When you remove yours how do you get it out. I had planned to simply cut it out.
Lance Anderson
Kenai, Alaska

Boat Name:

Hull No. 2367

07/22/2004 11:45 AM Pacific Time

I used a drywall saw to cut away a chunk at a time.
Lance Anderson
Kenai, Alaska

Boat Name:

Hull No. 2367

07/22/2004 11:46 AM Pacific Time

Thats a small coarse toothed pointed hand saw.
Steve Lee
Lawrence, Kansas

Hull No. 6029

08/12/2004 10:26 AM Pacific Time

I have cut into the foam flotation under the starboard liner and found that it indeed holds water. About a pint of water weeps out of it every time I remove it and dry the bilge out (about twice per week). The boat is sitting on a trailer and has been sealed from the rain for 2 months, so the water is not coming from somewhere else.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Bulkhead and Foam Flotation