Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Non Skid Paint

Author Non Skid Paint
Rod Huff
Brentwood, TN

Boat Name: Eleanor Rigby

Model/Year: C22/1984

Hull No. 12033

Hailing Port: Nashville, TN
07/21/2004 7:51 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone ever used Interlux Interdeck? If so, how did it work? What was the degree of difficulty and are there any pitfalls?

Thanks,
Rod
Chuck
East Meadow, NY

Boat Name: Doo Dad

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No. 12418

Hailing Port: Bayshore, NY
07/22/2004 5:46 PM Pacific Time

Rod,

I tried the Interdeck on my pop top and sliding hatch non-skid surfaces this spring. It was applied like any other paint, and so far (about 3 months) has held up well. I'll probably use it on the rest of my non-skid surfaces either this fall or next spring.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
07/22/2004 6:01 PM Pacific Time

My boat got a total repaint this spring and husband Dale used the Interlux Interdeck (blue) on the non-skid. We were going to sand the entire non-skid area, but decieded to just repaint the area. He cleaned and filled holes on the non skid, masked all non-skid areas and rolled it on, twice. Two thin coats are better than one heavy coat. It came out wonderful! It does slightly fill waffle pattern non skid, but the texture of the dried paint has a definite anti-slip feel. I thought it would be more gritty like fine sand but it's not. More like non-slippery.
JT Clark
Centerville, UT

Boat Name: Sail's Call

Model/Year: '77 Catalina 22

Hull No. 6766

Hailing Port: GSL, Salt Lake City, UT
07/27/2004 12:37 PM Pacific Time

I spent quite a bit of time reading the interlux paint catalog at my local marine store, and finally decided on using the brightside paint with the interlux anti-skid additive and interlux flattening agent (to reduce sheen). This allows me to achieve (I hope) greater control over the amount of non-skid material in the paint. I will be re-striping the boat at the same time, and can use the exact same paint for the stripes and non-skid. I thought the colors offered in interdeck were quite limiting.

Of course, my opinion will change if things don't go so well when I repaint, probably this winter.
Matt Perry
Duluth, GA

Boat Name: Capn' Morgan

Model/Year: C22/1970

Hull No. 225

Hailing Port: Lake Lanier, GA
01/31/2007 8:06 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone have pictures, close-up preferably, that they can share of the final results of the non-skid repaint job? I am considering this as my second project with the new boat.
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
02/07/2007 7:34 PM Pacific Time

I can send you pictures, when it stops raining. send me your email off line to [email protected]
Glenn Warner
Jacksonville Florida

Boat Name: Goblin/JuJu

Model/Year: 1981/1972

Hull No. 10369/1222

Hailing Port: Jacksonville Florida
04/29/2007 10:45 AM Pacific Time

Lynn, I would be interested in hearing more and seeing pics of your non skid job. gcglenn at comcast.net

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Non Skid Paint