Maintenance

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Hull Support for Bottom Work

Author Hull Support for Bottom Work
Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
07/25/2004 5:53 PM Pacific Time

I am in the process of refinishing the bottom of my 84 Catalina 22 on the trailor. I am curious about how others get to the areas under the bunks for sanding, repainting etc. I thought about building some temporary support next to the bunk and then just unbolting it. Has anyone else tried something like this or is there a better way?
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
07/26/2004 6:30 AM Pacific Time

Greg,

I used the rafters in a steel tubing barn to support my boat with 10,000 pound lifting straps X 2.

However, most use barrels & timbers shoved up under the stern with the nose of the trailer lowered. Then they crank the bow up and support the bow with timbers/barrels & pull the trailer out.

That lets you do under the bunk & keel are first. Afterwards set her on the trailer & do the timber section.

I think a little water in the bottom ½ of the barrels would make this more stable. You might check to make sure the barrels had inert material if you plan to dump the water afterward.

Some thing’s that helped me, a long vacuum hose hooked to the good “random orbital sander” & shop vacuum & lots of coarse sand paper, a cheep fan to blow any debris away from me, cheep throw away dust mask, gloves, clear glasses & long sleeve shirt.

Cheers,

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Greg Baker
Charlotte, NC

Boat Name: Sea Sharp Minor

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1984 - Swing Keel

Hull No. 11823

Hailing Port: Lake Norman Sailing Club
07/26/2004 11:54 AM Pacific Time

Bob,
Thanks for the advice. I have all the areas I can get to sanded using the method you described, long hose, shop vac, orbital sander etc. It was easier than I expected. I also made a saddle that fits under the transom that I can use by dropping the front of the trailer, putting the saddle under the boat and then raising the front. That lifts the back of the boat off the bunks by a few inches but not enough to get my sander in there and the front is still on the trailor of course. I'll have to see if I can find some barrels I guess. Thanks again.

Maintenance
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Maintenance / Hull Support for Bottom Work