Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Mariner 2.5hp

Author Mariner 2.5hp
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
07/31/2004 5:56 PM Pacific Time

Hey Gang,

Just bought my first boat today, a 1974 C22...needs some TLC but is sound.

It came with a Mariner 2.5hp, direct drive, 2stroke engine that seems to run fine. But have a couple questions.

What is the oil to fuel ratio for it? Also, where would I get spark plugs or manual for it?

THX

Garrett
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/01/2004 5:09 AM Pacific Time

Welcome to the C22 community. You've purchased a great design.

You can order a manual from Mercury for about $13, go to the library to see what they have, or buy one of the Clymer books covering many models. If it is a newer motor, Oil:Gas is probably 1:50. Many motors have a decal by the fuel line or something molded into the gas tank cap. For the spark plugs, you can pull a plug and look at the ID written on it.

The 2.5 will probably only move you at 3 knots or so. OK for getting away from the dock or in/out of the trailer, but not so great for motoring long distances or fighting wind/waves. If you sail on a small lake, you are probably OK, but I'd recommend something bigger for the Great Lakes or coastal sailing.
---Turk ---
Canfield, Ohio

Boat Name: Miss Kitty

Model/Year: 1974 C22

Hull No. 3520

Hailing Port: Mosquito Lake, N.E. Ohio
08/02/2004 5:00 AM Pacific Time

I is in fact a 50 to 1 mix. I own the same engine. Also, as previously posted, it may be a little small in windy conditions, but don't trade it, use it for your dinghy if you ever moor your boat somewhere. That is how I use mine. I have a 4 hp Mariner on my Cat22 and it puches it at 6 mph. Plenty of power for it's size.
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
08/02/2004 6:45 AM Pacific Time

THX guys, I need it for leaving and approaching a dock, if the wind dies, just to get back across a 5mi lake or so...no open water.....

Turk, how do you like the 2.5 for dependability? Ease of mx?

THX

Garrett

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Mariner 2.5hp