Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Paint Stripper

Author Paint Stripper
Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

Boat Name: "Sting"

Model/Year: C22 1974

Hull No. 3627

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
08/03/2004 7:58 PM Pacific Time

Hey Gang,

Any recommendations for stripping paint off fiberglass (hull) on the topsides.

The boat has a name painted on the sides of the hull toward the stern, I would like to remove it, without dulling or hurting the gelcoat on the fibreglass.....

What stripper is safe?

Garrett
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
08/03/2004 11:09 PM Pacific Time

Garrett - Reflections again. Funnily enough, people have used oven cleaner with success. Best to test before you do the full job.

Paul
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
08/03/2004 11:12 PM Pacific Time

Garrett - Forgot to mention. Before you remove the paint, consider if you really want to. I didn't like the name of my boat when I first got her and considered re-naming, but the name was painted professionally, with large lettering on each side. It occurred to me that if I removed the paint, the lettering was still going to show because the gel coat beneath the paint would be pristine and unoxidised, whereas elsewhere it would have been exposed for the past 18 years. I don't mind the name or the paint job any more.

Paul
Tim Seifert

Boat Name: Mary's Joy

Model/Year:

Hull No. 8281

Hailing Port: Holyrood, Newfoundland
08/04/2004 3:23 AM Pacific Time

I used a product called GreenSolve which I ordered from Lee Valley Tools in Canada. The product is environmentally friendly and will not hert the gel coat. It worked fairly well. The downside is that it needs to be applied in temperatures of 18C or higher, which is prime sailing in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/04/2004 6:26 AM Pacific Time

I think the Spring issue of Boatworks magazine on stripping paint. Try the Citrastrip product since it is safe. Also, I have heard lots of good things about the Peel-a-Way stuff like there is very little clean up because the paint comes off with a paper backed applicator.

I think even if you remove the name from the hull you can remove the shadow by lightly wet sanding with 1200 or 1500 grit 3m sandpaper. But then again you pay your money and you take your chances.

Robert

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Paint Stripper