Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing keel and hull problem, help!

Author Swing keel and hull problem, help!
Antoni Lebeda
Richmond, BC

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No. 7108

Hailing Port:
08/08/2004 11:23 PM Pacific Time

Hi,
I just purchased a c-22. It's missing the keel but I didn't know is that the hull was damaged when the previous owner ran over something and ripped out the keel with the hangers. I would like to know what options do I have to fix this. Pictures are @ http://members.shaw.ca/alebeda/Catalina%2022/

Thanks,

Antoni L.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
08/09/2004 7:24 AM Pacific Time

Antoni,
If I was going to do this project I would remove the last weldment as there seems to be a crack around it anyway and as rusted as it is you would benifit from removing it. You can buy the weldments right here from CD use the hangers to to keep the weldments in line vaseline the bolts then epoxy the weldments back in place once the epoxy sets and you have cleaned everything your ready to replace the keel. I'm including a website of a picture of the welments/ keel trunk from catalina.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/116319809/116319891xCNvnb
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/10/2004 7:42 AM Pacific Time

Antoni - You might want to consider just parting out the boat to recoup your investment (I hope it was very small). A boat with no keel and significant damage to the keel support system will need a lot of time and money to repair the boat and replace the keel. I would be very nervous about the strength of any repair of your boat. Skip Meisch used to have an item on his web site on how to repair a stripped out weldment, but from the pictures, it looks like yours are almost beyond help.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/12/2005 12:00 AM Pacific Time

Does anyone know about replacing something called the weldment, or something like that? I am looking at a boat where the owner was in the ocean and apparently moored too close to the shore and damaged a section next to where the swing keel is located. He says that CatalinaDirect personnel have estimated as much as 12 hours and as little as 4 hours to complete the repairs.

Thanks for all replies.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/12/2005 6:27 AM Pacific Time

The weldment is the threaded cylinders (4) that the swing keel hanger assembly bolts to. Replacing them involves cutting the old ones out, installing the new ones (aligned properly), and then fiberglassing them into the boat. The work requires removing the heavy cast iron keel and reinstalling it. I have not done it myself, but it sounds like it is very doable by an experienced DIY person.

There are plenty of C22's for sale throughout the US. Is anything else wrong with the boat? I would continue to look for a boat in salable condition it I were you, unless you are given the boat free.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/12/2005 9:35 AM Pacific Time

Responding to the weldment question reply: the boat for sale is otherwise in very good condition, although it is basically stripped (in the sense that it does not have any head, galley, berth cushions, few sails, etc.), but it is a reasonable priced boat--assuming the repairs are not too much to handle. I am also interested in the trailer to move another boat which is available but not included but cannot be purchased until the boat sells.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/13/2005 5:30 AM Pacific Time

To echo Michael Smalter sage advice. Please do yourself a favor and run away from the boat. Yes the weldments can be replaced, if you know what you are doing and have the talent for it or the money to buy it.

But why would you want to do it? There are literally hundreds of Catalina 22s that still have their keels hanging from them.

Good luck with your decision.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/13/2005 9:04 AM Pacific Time

i found this notation on the subject
at http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=2129846750012&lang=en-US&FORM=CVRE
you can find the paragraph by using " Each keel bolt is screwed into a " when looking for it by " find on this page under the edit tool bar

its says ...

Each keel bolt is screwed into a "weldment." A weldment can
best be described as a cylinder with a small piece of bar
stock welded to the end of it. The wall thickness is
sufficent to be threaded to accept the keel bolt and the
flat stock keeps the cylinder from turning when torque is
applied to the bolt.

By drilling the weldment oversize you will be reducing the
wall thickness of the cylinder to an unacceptable level. If
you cannot remove the broken bolt/easyout, your only choice
is to remove (dig/grind out) the weldment and glass in a new
one. Contact the factory in Woodland Hills for a
replacement kit. The kit contains instructions on how to
remove and replace the weldment. You might want to check
with Catalina Direct also.

R Thomas
Long Beach, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 14922

Hailing Port: Long Beach
08/13/2005 10:13 AM Pacific Time

I replaced two of the four weldments on my old swing keel (515). I did the repair from the bottom up. The following link has pictures documenting the steps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/akar7

If I had to do it again, I would go through the interior liner so as to work from the top side down. It is much easier using gravity on your side and you can probably retain the hull shape which you can see was difficult to replicate. The glass is real resin rich in that area because it is in the bottom of the mold and mine had a few cracks around the weldments that needed to be repaired also.

There are other repairs and mods documented on the link. I also have some pictures replacing the inner-lower compression post ( from armrest to bottom of hull) that was rotted out if anyone is interested that I can put on the site.

Bob Thomas

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing keel and hull problem, help!