Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Honda 7.5

Author Honda 7.5
Mathew Zanze
Sutter Creek, CA

Boat Name: Knot On Call

Model/Year: Former C-22 Now C-250

Hull No. 66

Hailing Port: Sutter Creek, California
08/22/2004 4:47 PM Pacific Time

When I start my motor I can get maximum RPM. When I put it in gear I cannot get much RPM. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/22/2004 6:28 PM Pacific Time

How fast does the motor push the boat? A 7.5 should push the boat at hull speed unless you have weeds in the prop or the hull is very furry. In neutral, there is no resistance, so the max RPM should be higher.

Have you filled the gear case with lube?

Hae you changed the prop? Motor boats can plane, and have a higher pitch prop. Sailboats are displacement, and we tend to have a lower pitch prop for more power.

Has the engine ever rev'd at high RPM in gear?
Mathew Zanze
Sutter Creek, CA

Hull No. 66

08/22/2004 7:31 PM Pacific Time

The motor ran at high RPM in gear before. Today I backed the boat in the slip and pulled off the prop and there was not any debris around the shaft and I checked the lower gear lubricant. Both checked out OK.
I cannot find the motor manual to checkout the trouble shooting section to get a handle on what is going on.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
08/22/2004 8:16 PM Pacific Time

I'm not sure if my solution will solve your problem but it will not hurt your outboard. I had a similar issue with my Nissan and a half of a bottle of dry-gas to the tank helped rigth the way. I figured that water got inside the tank through the cracked cap during a 2 week no-sail period. Good luck.
-Spirit #13485
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
09/02/2004 8:01 AM Pacific Time

Mathew,
Your motor has a cam that ties the throttle setting to the shift lever. I suspect that it is out of adjustment. My factory shop manual doesn't seem to cover it (not a first). Anyway, the cam has 3 positions to reduce max throttle while you are in reverse and neutral. The start position on the throttle is with the throttle wide open against a stop with the shift lever in neutral. It is only supposed to reach 1200 RPM in this position. The K2 model does 3800 RPM in reverse, the K3 does 4400 RPM. It doesn't say what the K1 does, but my K1 could use more poop in reverse. Some day I will grind a bit off of the cam.
Mathew Zanze
Sutter Creek, CA

Hull No. 66

09/02/2004 6:37 PM Pacific Time

JOE,
THAT SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM. I WILL PULL THE COVER OFF THIS WEEKEND AND CHECK IT OUT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT.
I AM GOING TO SEATTLE NEXT MONTH FOR A LONG WEEKEND. DO YOU THINK THAT I CAN BRING THE MOTOR AS A CARRY-ON ON MY FLIGHT AND YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT?
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
09/02/2004 8:12 PM Pacific Time

I hope you are kidding! That is one heavy sucker. Feel free to come out and see how mine is set up though.
Mathew Zanze
Sutter Creek, CA

Hull No. 66

09/05/2004 9:29 AM Pacific Time

JOE...................PROBLEM SOLVED. PULLED THE COVER OFF. THERE WAS A LARGE "MUD NEST" BUGS OR HORNET'S BLOCKING THE LINKAGE FOR THE CARB. WHEN SHIFTED INTO FORWARD.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Honda 7.5