Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Advice Needed for Broken Keel Cable

Author Advice Needed for Broken Keel Cable
richiecamp
Jackson, MS

Boat Name: Brahma Fear

Model/Year: C25/1981

Hull No. 2250

Hailing Port: Jackson MS
08/27/2004 7:18 PM Pacific Time

My friend was letting down the keel when I heard a splash and the boat started rocking. Now, it's almost like the cable is stuck in the volcano. I let out the cable using the winch but the line doesn't fall. I tried to pull up the wire and it won't budge. My friend says that the cable is just broken and has volunteered to scuba below to fix which he has done in the past but I am now thinking based on other post that it is not just a broken cable. My question is, why would the cable be stuck and should I repair on land.

My second problem is that I just discoved a somewhat small amount of water under my front seat to the table (I have a C25). The keel incident happened two weeks ago so I haven't been on board much since. There doesn't appear to be any other water coming aboard. Could the fall of the keel have damaged something in this area causing a small leak? This area has always been bone dry before.

I have only had the boat a few months so I am a complete novice on repair. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Larry
Greenville, SC

Boat Name: Kemo Sabe

Model/Year: C-22 , 1973

Hull No. 2229

Hailing Port: www.keoweesailingclub.com
08/28/2004 6:41 AM Pacific Time

Do you have an overlap on the cable winch?

Has the cable "jumped" off the 'bronze roller' down in the volcano hole and jammed on the side?

Guess, otherwise the cable is broken, or winch is broken.

Sorry about the bad luck!

Larry
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
08/28/2004 8:04 AM Pacific Time

Instead of a lot of second guessing, why not go over the side and take a look at the keel. Is it up, partway up or down? Check to see if the cable is still attached.

My guess is that the cable or the keel eye bolt is broken. If the cable was old and tired (I suspect that it was), the broken end curled tightly and cannot feed back through the small hole created by the groove in the turning ball.

Take your friend up on his offer to dive on the boat and have a look.

If you need to repair the hoisting system (new ball, new cable or new eyebolt, it is best done out of the water.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
08/29/2004 6:36 PM Pacific Time

If your cable broke and the keel dropped down hard enough to rock the boat, and you are getting water in an area you never have before, I'd pull the boat to do the repair and inspect the keel hanger. I believe the keel on a C25 is 800 pounds versus 400 for a C22. That's alot of weight to be stopped by the keel trunk. If you don't drop the keel to inspect the keel well, at least inspect the keel hanger and bolts. If the hangers are flush with the bottom, pull the bolts one at a time and replace them with new bolts. The impact of a keel drop can stretch the bolts, and now is the best time to remove them without them breaking off in the threaded inserts (also called wellments) in the hull.
Greg
Roxboro, NC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1980 Catalina 25

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/06/2004 5:03 PM Pacific Time

Yesterday, while lowering my keel the cable broke. the boat started to take on water around the pivot pin of the keel.
luckly I got the boat back to shore and on the trailer.
the leak was small, but steadly comming in. The fiberglass
was cracked where the keel pivots. Any suggestion on where to start? Do I need to cut the fiberglass mound to get to the
keel pin.
Ken Palmer
Franklin, TN.

Boat Name: "Last Penny"

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10475

Hailing Port: PPYC
09/06/2004 8:24 PM Pacific Time

Greg,
Without doubt I'd say you will have to do the repair from the top, making sure you get the crack opened up and using epoxy for the repair.

I've enclosed a address that has the keel repair plan on it, it will at least get you started in the right direction.

good luck and let us know how your repair goes, and of course take lots of pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/116319809/116319891xCNvnb
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
09/06/2004 8:25 PM Pacific Time

If the C25 keel attaches like the C22 keel, the keel hangers are accessable from the bottom of the boat. Remove 4 bolts, and lower the keel with the assistence of a jack. You'll probably need to make a frame to keep the keel from twisting. Once the keel is dropped you can get to the damaged hull. I have no experience as to how to repair the damage. You might want to consult a local marina or a franchised Catalina dealer in your area.
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
09/06/2004 11:29 PM Pacific Time

I can help somewhat. Catalina has prepared an engineering drawing that discusses how to remove the weldments from inside (NOT UNDERNEATH) the boat, by cutting away the glass covering the humps that you see in the bilge. If you get to this point, let me know your contact details and I'll arrange to send a copy. You can also contact Catalina directly for the drawing.

Paul (the Boy from Oz)
Greg
Roxboro, NC

Boat Name:

Model/Year: 1980 Catalina 25

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/12/2004 6:15 PM Pacific Time

Paul,

I'm at the point of cutting the glass in the boat.
My email is [email protected]
any help will be great.

Thanks,
Greg
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
09/13/2004 4:04 PM Pacific Time

I've sent it directly just now.

Paul

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Advice Needed for Broken Keel Cable