Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Hello Everyone

Author Hello Everyone
T a Brunemeyer
Beachwood NJ

Boat Name: Faith

Model/Year: c-22

Hull No. 1972

Hailing Port:
08/30/2004 12:51 PM Pacific Time

Well for better or worse I've just aquired a 1972 C22, I think shes all thier, hull loock solid if not beat up, rudder is rusted and wobbling in the trunk and the rigging both running and standing is in need of some repair and or replacement of parts. I figured what the heck, the boat was a freeby on a decent trailer with a nice old 6hp Johnson hanging on the back and the sails are heavily used but look to be good for a few more years. Anyway I thought I'd introduce myself now because I'll probably be in here quite often during the refit process.
I've already ordered the Keel refit video and the manual/parts catalog from CD, started cataloging the work to be done and started reading up on techniques for hull refitting So here I/We go I look forward to talking to you all and cant wait to get going on this.

Thanks
Tim
Don
Yorktown, VA

Boat Name: Skweedle

Model/Year: '75 Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Hull No. 4821

Hailing Port: Yorktown
01/05/2005 8:31 AM Pacific Time

Tim,
I'm in almost the exact same situation. I got a free '75 model with a running 6hp evinrude (but I had to buy my own trailer, $400 for a used Hunter 23 model). How's it going? Any major projects pop up yet. I have two. My compression post crushed at the dinette armrest, and my foredeck is spongy (although I probably won't tackle it right away, spring is coming!)
Don
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
01/06/2005 2:19 AM Pacific Time

Don and Tim;

Some of us who've been there already have websites that show in detail (to one degree or another) what we did and how we did it. I think you'll find them most helpful.

Chip Ahoy website:
www.chipford.com

Slow Flight website:
www.slowflight.net/upgrades/index.html

I've got links to a few others on my Chip Ahoy site.

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Catalina 22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Don
Yorktown, VA

Boat Name: Skweedle

Model/Year: '75 Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Hull No. 4821

Hailing Port: Yorktown
01/06/2005 10:15 AM Pacific Time

Chip,
I think I've viewed every page on your site. Are you a member of the National Association? Strange that your site isn't on their links page. Please keep it up, you're an inspiration to all of us keeping it small and affordable. My boat doesn't need too much to get on the water this summer, looking to cruise the Virginia barrier islands just outside the Chesapeake (when I'm not club racing)
Don
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
01/06/2005 5:32 PM Pacific Time

lots of pics on www.fleet130.org.
Most are taken from other sites but some are originals.
This is a good forum and if you ask a question, you will get plenty of answers!
Good Luck

Mike
paul osborne
Lima NY

Boat Name: Emy Lyn II

Model/Year: 1984

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Rochester
01/07/2005 6:33 AM Pacific Time

Mike, Paul here from the great lakes cruse 2004. Have been trying to reach you with no success. Just happened to see your post.
plese reply [email protected].
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
01/07/2005 12:11 PM Pacific Time

Mike

I don't believe any of the pics on http://www.fleet130.org/ are taken from other sites. They are either originals taken specifically for the tech seminars(about 95%), donated by people from this list(clubhouse) or Great Lakes Cruise participants. The origin of all donated photes is identified. There are links to several other popular sites containing photographs.

The wiring diagrams were created from barely legible original Catalina Yachts documents.

The electrical panel drawings were adapted from those provided by electrical panel manufacturers.

After Charlie Gjersvik's site was gone, the wiring and electrical panel diagrams were sent to Skip Meisch for his website. They are on the right side of Skip's wiring diagram page:

http://slowflight.net/upgrades/elec-wiring-layout.html

Those from Charlie's site are on the left.

We are always happy to host photos or tech tips anyone would like to share in out Tech Notes section:

http://www.fleet130.org/technotes/
Tom Grass
Creve Coeur, Missouri

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/07/2005 1:15 PM Pacific Time

Hi Erv,

Remember Tom & Tracy - green Catalina 22 couple of years ago in Sister Bay? Glad this year's G/L cruise went well. Join us some time for the Heartland of America Cruise!

Regards,

Tom Grass
Grasshopper II
Lake Carlyle, Illinois
Erv Zimmerman
Anchor Bay Shores, Michigan

Boat Name: Adventuring

Model/Year: 1973

Hull No. 1787

Hailing Port: Anchor Bay, Lake St. Clair
01/08/2005 1:51 AM Pacific Time

Sure do! There are still a couple of photos of Grasshopper in the slideshow on the fleet 130 homepage at http://www.fleet130.org/. Keep in touch and send us the information on the cruise. You can always reach Mike and I through the links on the website.
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
01/09/2005 3:36 AM Pacific Time

Don, I've been a member of the C22NSA for two years, since I bought my boat. I couldn't find a links page on its site, but just sent along a picture of Chip Ahoy to add to the "Pictures" page.

Sailing in your area (Many years ago I cruised through it on my way to the Florida Keys from up here and back), I think you'll find the following story interesting, "The Catalina 22 Chesapeake Lighthouse Challenge." You can read it at:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~samg2/trip/intro.html

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Catalina 22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com

Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
01/09/2005 7:48 AM Pacific Time

Hi all
I trust the winter projects are coming along
I look forward to my first year on Lake Champlain
The keel is almost done
The 110v electrical is in
The solar panels are mounted
And the two trays for the stern are also done
As soon as the weather gets warmer Its time for the bottom paint and off we go
I figure late March before the ice melts and I can get in
I have a new digital camera from Santa clause this year and my web site will be up for the season
We should get great photos

Uwe

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Hello Everyone