Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing vs. Wing, loosing sleep

Author Swing vs. Wing, loosing sleep
Rob Hills
Alta Loma, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/30/2004 3:48 PM Pacific Time

I am finally going to step up and buy a boat, my first. It will be a trailer sailor in California (southern primarily). After consideration of several makes/models, I've decided on a C22. Of all the boats I've considered, it doesn't seem to be the most tralierable, however its style, looks, history, availability, and loyal following have made it very attractive. To the point...swing or wing? I'm familair with the performance differences, I'm more concerned with maintenance and launching problems. I am leaning toward the wing (concerned about used boat with swing).
Let me have it! Will I regret it? Will launching be a total pain? I'm loosing sleep over this. Thanks.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/30/2004 11:59 PM Pacific Time

Rob,
I live in San Diego and have an 88 wing keel. Unless you plan to race it, I find the wing keel to be the best of both worlds. Low maintenance and (relatively) easy to launch/recover provided you have a trailer with an telescoping tongue. It doesn't sit as high on the trailer as a fin keel, only drafts about 3 ft, and the keel requires virtually no maintenance. After properly tuning the rigging, I can get hull speed in less than 10 kts of wind and she points just fine for my taste. JMO, but... Works for me!
Pete Kover
Stephen Yingst
Glen Ellen, California

Boat Name: Third Flight

Model/Year: C22 - 1988

Hull No. 14644

Hailing Port: Sausalito
08/31/2004 1:16 PM Pacific Time

I want to second everything that Pete said...except the draft isn't actually that deep. More like 2 1/2. The things that make it more difficult to trailer compared to other similar boats (See most recent Small Craft Advisor) are the qualities that allow it to be a stellar boat on San Francisco Bay. We were out Sunday in 20 - 25 with a reef in the main and part of the jib rolled up. It was a great day and the boat handled very easily. This is where the weight and the draft are very handy.

Having owned a Montgomery 17 prior to the C22 Wing (also '88), I MUCH prefer to not deal with the extra hassle of a lifting keel. I lost the Montgomery's centerboard one night at anchor in Lake Tahoe (pin failed, it hung on the cable for a while, but due to high winds and chafe, broke free during the night...what fun that was to retreive) and don't ever want to replace one again (or lift one off the bottom of a cold lake).

I think you'll be happy with a wing. Stephen
Rob Hills
Alta Loma, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/31/2004 5:16 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the input, I am glad to see some reinforcing input from wing owners. It's interesting you mention Lake Tahoe, I just returned from my annual two week Tahoe vacation (boatless again), and the low water levels are what really got me thinking. While my primary sailing venue will be out of Long Beach, I don't want to be excluded from other areas (Tahoe namely). Would I be correct in assuming that the major bay/costal areas of CA (San Fran, Monterey, Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego, etc.) have launch ramps that facilitate launching a wing?
Paul David
Melbourne Australia

Boat Name: Reflections

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13369

Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
08/31/2004 11:27 PM Pacific Time

As a cruiser and a swinger (that just doesn't sound right), I thought I'd add my views.

The swing is the worst feature of an otherwise great boat, and the component that most keeps me awake at night. Lots can go wrong - the keel cable can break at the eyebolt, where it turns around the turning ball or just fray and hook on the tube surrounding the cable, thus letting water in (and sinking the boat).

The pin needs to be checked every few years, meaning you've got to undo the bolts (which may seize up and snap off in the bottom of the hull, requiring you to drill them out). Antifouling is another hassle, as it's hard to get into inaccessible places.

I love my boat but I'd readily swap for a wing, especially a C25 wing. But that's because I don't race, and I'd really like to keep her on a mooring for extended periods.
JT Clark
Centerville, UT

Boat Name: Sail's Call

Model/Year: '77 Catalina 22

Hull No. 6766

Hailing Port: GSL, Salt Lake City, UT
08/31/2004 11:50 PM Pacific Time

I am just a couple months into owning my first boat, A '77 swing keel. Of all the features I considered, I wish I had found a wing keel in my price range. I trailer my boat every trip, even for daysailing. The swing keel is easy to take off/put on the trailer, but I still extend the trailer tongue every trip. But foremost, like mentioned above, the maintainance on the swing keel and the concern it creates on longer trips aren't worth the slight advantage in trailering.
Dan Keagle
Alexandria, VA

Boat Name: North Light

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. 12552

Hailing Port: Alexandria, VA
09/01/2004 6:52 AM Pacific Time

As a swing keel owner (swinger?) who sails in the tidal Potomac (DC area), I appreciate being able to crank up the swing keel when I run aground. If you don't have to worry about your draft, then I could see how the other designs would be appealing.

Dan Keagle
North Light
Stephen Yingst
Glen Ellen, California

Boat Name: Third Flight

Model/Year: C22 - 1988

Hull No. 14644

Hailing Port: Sausalito
09/01/2004 7:04 AM Pacific Time

Yup...that's the really good part about a swinger. I wonder how many wing owners DON'T have a depth sounder; I'll bet not that many.
Frank Nin
Grass Valley, CA

Boat Name: Hola!

Model/Year: C-22, Wing, 2000

Hull No. 15464

Hailing Port: Grass Valley, CA
09/01/2004 10:09 AM Pacific Time

I’m a wing keel owner, never had any problems with launch or retrieve. Something that it’s notable, the wing keel boat only draws 6” more than the swing keel in its retrieved position. (2.5 ft for the wing keel vs 2.0 ft for the swing keel.) I have run aground a couple of times but it was no big deal. I just jumped off the boat and the boat floated away, and I pulled myself back on the boat. The one thing about the wing keel is that you do have to extend the tong unless the ramp is steep (in other words, most of the time)
PHILIP & SHARON MERLIER
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA

Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK

Model/Year: 1990 C22

Hull No.

Hailing Port: FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
09/01/2004 10:19 AM Pacific Time

Hello:
I purchased my wing keel C22 new and have NEVER regretted it. I would not trade it for a swing keel. It has never restricted where I would like to sail and it performs very well.
Philip
R Thomas
Long Beach, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 14922

Hailing Port: Long Beach
09/01/2004 3:49 PM Pacific Time

I have a 89 wing keel andI launch at the Second Street ramp in Long Beach with no problems. I have a Trailrite trailer with tongue extention.
Rob Hills
Alta Loma, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
09/01/2004 5:24 PM Pacific Time

Man, thanks for all the input, it has really eased my mind. I too will be launching at 2nd street, it's great to get firsthand knowledge. Thanks again. Rob.
R Thomas
Long Beach, CA

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22 1989

Hull No. 14922

Hailing Port: Long Beach
09/02/2004 12:05 PM Pacific Time

I had a swing keel previously and was nervous about the wing and the 2nd street ramp. Even though the draft is 6 " deeper, the trailer had the extention at a different angle on the new trailer so it placed me in the same place on the ramp...right at the waters edge with vehicle rear wheels.
Bob

Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Hull / Keel / Rudder / Tiller / Swing vs. Wing, loosing sleep