Racing

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Optimizing for racing

Author Optimizing for racing
Andy Keenum
Florence,Al

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C-22 1986

Hull No. 13465

Hailing Port: Muscle Shoals Sailing Club
09/06/2004 5:46 AM Pacific Time

I have a 1986 C-22, swing keel, 150% Johnson Genoa, factory main. I raced my first club race and did not fair as well as I would have hoped. I did not race against any other 22's however. My question is this; What suggestions do you have for optimizing the boat? New sails, remove lifelines, etc...
Thanks
Andy
Muscle Shoals Sail Club
Wilson Lake Alabama
Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX

Boat Name: Over Keel

Model/Year: <1985

Hull No. 13059

Hailing Port: Lake Somerville
09/07/2004 5:52 AM Pacific Time

Andy,

I have won most of our club races against other size & type boats in high wind. Racing other C-22’s I did not do so well, my #13059 weighs 2780 pounds; the winning boats weigh 2300 without crew. Keel fairing to a NACA 64-006 or 008 might help with pointing http://www.onemetre.net/Technicl/FinForce/FinForce.htm & http://www.pdas.com/profiles.htm .

However, the real factor is boat weight, heavy crew, motor, & junk. My boat was weighed stripped except for sails, pole, & only one gallon of gas during weigh in. On my early 85 model, the galley was removed years ago, along with the pop-top cover & other cruising elements.

One of the top racers told me that he takes the table, cushions, anything lose & crams it in the V berth. I have a new 59 pound motor that I need to sell & go back to the 40 pound require weight motor. At the wife’s protest, I also need to remove the flush head & holding tanks. That will still leave me 2-300 pound heavy & praying for wind.

Cheers,

Bob Vick
Caldwell, TX
C 22 #13059
Over Keel

Jan P.
Grapevine, TX

Boat Name: Being Time

Model/Year: 1974 C22 Poptop/swing keel

Hull No. 4244

Hailing Port: Grapevine
12/07/2004 7:48 PM Pacific Time

Hi - The boats I've raced on do not have all the stuff inside usually like the cushions and dinette table. (I think one boat keeps the table in the down position). No head or porta pot, no galley, etc. No life lines no stern rail, although the pulpit is there as per the rules.

They use outhauls, cunninghams, and split backstays to maintain optimum sail shape. We sail typically with a seasoned crew of three, and we work well together, usually with me on foredeck watching for boats, the mark, and wind. Also assisting some with tactics as needed.

Also, they have the nice racing sails which are always rolled (not folded). Good sails are your best investment. The boats are also kept on hydrohoist, so they are always dry sailed, keeping the bottoms slick and clean.

Get a good racing tactics book, too, as that can help you, and nothing helps like experience with sailing with winds out of different directions to figure out what you could do better the next time. You can't get too frustrated, get out there and learn. I have friends who raced last year and placed 17th in the centerboard regattas (Texas -- not a Catalina event), but finished 3rd, largely from experience from last year, and sailing all the time. The more you do it, the better you will get. We won the last series over a Catalina 25, we had to come out ahead of them to win the series, and it was going to be a tough race, so we thought and then we won by covering them with every move to stay ahead. We were going to be happy to come in within 2 minutes (since thats the time they owe us), but instead we crossed the line far ahead of them. Knowing the lake, the prevailing winds and sailing all the time will get you far. Also, if you can find a good mentor who knows that lake to come and sail with you some, that will help, too. We had been crewing with and for a terrific mentor who had helped us know what to do and when to do it. Good luck to you on your racing.

Jan
Rob Fowler
Chattanooga, TN

Boat Name: Duck Soup

Model/Year: C22 Sport

Hull No. 15597

Hailing Port:
07/06/2007 9:17 AM Pacific Time

Andy, I live in Chattanooga, and I'm new to the C22. I have raced for a long time however, and the suggestions above are very good. If you're new to racing, one of the best things you can do is to go crew for one of the hot shots in your club. You'll learn a lot and be able to transfer that to racing your own boat. See if you can get a ride with Gar Bouse on his Olson 25.

Racing
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Racing / Optimizing for racing