Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Looking for Sail Plan (CLR / CE)

Author Looking for Sail Plan (CLR / CE)
David Daye
Whidbey IS, WA

Boat Name: Heelin' Dancer

Model/Year: c22 1976 Swing Keel

Hull No. 5634

Hailing Port: Cultus Bay
09/13/2004 9:50 PM Pacific Time

I'm considering advancing from my El Toro to an older C-22 for nonracing purposes (been there, done that).

It'd help me to have a sail plan type diagram showing sails and balancing information including Center of Lateral Resistance of the hull and Center of Effort of each of the sails and the rig as a whole. The official brochures online seem to be light on that data.

I'd be grateful for any pointers.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
09/14/2004 8:43 AM Pacific Time

The Catalina 22 is a "family racer/cruiser" not a grand prix racer. Specific data might be hard to find. Go ahead and get one, but don't worry about those details. The boat sails well with full main and genoa but tends to have too much weather helm. If you are not racing you can vary the CLR by lowering or raisling the swing keel. If the boat gets unruly, change the foresail to the working jib and or reef the mainsail. Helm balance can be achieved with mast rake. Get the boat and experiment. Try to find one that is not a "project" boat. Unless of course you like working on the boat, more than you like going sailing.
David Daye
Whidbey IS, WA

Boat Name: Heelin' Dancer

Model/Year: c22 1976 Swing Keel

Hull No. 5634

Hailing Port: Cultus Bay
09/14/2004 10:21 PM Pacific Time

Thanks! Just the information that the boat carries weather helm will help, when factored into the sail plan and numerous photos I've seen.

I'm looking into entirely alternate rigs, which is why I wanted an idea of CLR & CE. Having done fiberglass layup & repair full-time, a "project boat" purchase isn't necessarily a problem.

I've found some of the user & newsletter articles covering maintenance and plan to make plenty of use of those. Especially critical items like swing keel and structure.

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / Looking for Sail Plan (CLR / CE)