Running Rigging

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Lazy Jacks and Boom Tents?

Author Lazy Jacks and Boom Tents?
Dave Amundson
League City, Texas

Boat Name: Dove

Model/Year: Wing Keel /1989

Hull No. 14897

Hailing Port: Galveston Bay
09/15/2004 8:07 AM Pacific Time

I have a question about the use of lazy jacks on a Catalina 22. I currently have lazy jacks aboard my Catalina 22 (“Dove” s/n 14897). Sometimes I have troubles with the mainsail’s battens getting hung-up on the lazy jacks lines while hoisting. They seem to be more trouble then they are worth and just how lazy dose one need to be on a 22 ft. sailboat anyway? I have been thinking about adding a boom tent to the inventory aboard my boat similar to the one I saw on Chip’s website and the jacks seem to be in the way of where the tent would go. (Chip, how did you get around this?) I just purchased a split backstay and adjuster and thought that it might be a good time to remove the lazy jacks while I have the mast down to install the new backstay. What are your thoughts about the use of your lazy jacks & boom tents on a Catalina 22?

The sailor reaches his destination the moment the sails are raised.
-Capt Dave-
Galveston Bay, TX
www.FunAtCurves.com/dove

B.T.W: I also just purchased a new loose footed fully battened main from Catalina Direct. I can’t wait to come out and play… ;-)
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
09/15/2004 8:08 PM Pacific Time

I used a boom tent when we spent a week in the Thousand Islands. Its great for putting stuff out of the cabin when you need the berths for sleeping. Also great for keep the sun off the boat.

I'e had lazy jacks the last few years. The battens used to get caught alot, so I moved the rear attachment point forward. Much less snagging. I find them helpful when single-handing the boat. Skip Meisch had a design for retractable lazy jacks (see pictures at http://www.slowflight.net/upgrades/skipjacks.html), where all the lines at the mast pulled to the gooseneck/mast joint to get them out of the way (good for either raising without fouling or use of a boom tent).

Running Rigging
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Running Rigging / Lazy Jacks and Boom Tents?