Cabin

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Can one make the pop top cover/ screens?

Author Can one make the pop top cover/ screens?
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
09/15/2004 1:51 PM Pacific Time

Bought a pop top 1981 C 22 w/o curtain/screen/windows for pop top. Haven't even seen what the cover should look like. Can it be made instead of bought. It looks like there are few of them out there for sale, used.

Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
09/16/2004 7:22 AM Pacific Time

Nancy,

Making a cover should not be a huge job. The stock cover is made with quite heavy vinyl and lots of windows with no provision for flyscreen. This makes for quite a bulky thing to stow. The windows are also very easy to scratch. I would be inclined to make one out of a coated nylon with fewer or no windows and with integrated flyscreen.

I don't have any pictures. Before we set ours up for the first time, it was very hard to visualize. You would save a lot of time if you could find one to use for a pattern.
Nancy Varvil
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Boat Name: Cha-Ching

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10448

Hailing Port: Beaver Lake, Arkansas
09/16/2004 1:58 PM Pacific Time

Thanks, Joe. There are a few C 22s on the lake. I'll ask around till I find one with cover and check it out. And then try your suggestions.

Cabin
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cabin / Can one make the pop top cover/ screens?