Sails

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Genoa Hangs up

Author Genoa Hangs up
Mark Dauphinais
Harvest, AL

Boat Name: SoJourner

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 14412

Hailing Port: Rogersville, AL
10/07/2004 7:12 AM Pacific Time

I have been having a problem with the bottom 2 hanks getting hung on the forestay turnbuckle while hoisting. This forces me to go forward once and sometimes twice to release the hangup. This is especially a problem and dangerous while single-handing as I have been doing more of lately. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve this?
Thanks,
Mark
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
10/07/2004 5:30 PM Pacific Time

Why don't you put a big stainless washer at the top end of the turnbuckle to prevent the hanks from sliding onto the turnbuckle? Another option is to put larger hanks on the bottom of the jib.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/09/2004 6:32 AM Pacific Time

Cover the threads of the turnbuckle with a short length of PVC pipe or vinyl shround cover.
Mark Dauphinais
Harvest, AL

Boat Name: SoJourner

Model/Year: 1988

Hull No. 14412

Hailing Port: Rogersville, AL
10/09/2004 4:07 PM Pacific Time

I used a piece of PVC today and had no problems.
Thanks,
Mark
Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Boat Name: Gumbo Girl

Model/Year: 1976

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/17/2005 1:23 PM Pacific Time

I know this is not on opint, but someone lent me a han-on headsail. When I attached the bottom hank clip to the deck plate, I could not raise the sail to the top of the stay and it did not seem to handle well. I removed the last hank clip and attacheded to the stay like the other clips. The sail went up and the foot of the sail was a few feet off the deck.

I liked this set-up a lot better, but I had a concern that doing it this way would put stress on the stay that was not intended. This may be too much over-thinking on my part. What do you think?
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

10/17/2005 8:19 PM Pacific Time

Michael, all of the brass hanks on the jib should be clipped over the forestay. There should be a large grommet hole in the bottom front corner of the genoa to accept a shackle that attaches to the bow stem (stainless plate with 3 holes in it-1 for the forestay, 1 for the jib shackle, and 1 for ?)

Sometimes the hanks can get stuck on the solid stud above the turnbuckle when the sail is raised.

When you attached all the hanks to the forestay, what was holding the genoa down to the bow?

Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/18/2005 8:00 AM Pacific Time

Well, nothing really. Instead of attaching the schakle to the bow stem, which would not allow the sail to go up all the way and really did not keep the sail of fthe deck, I attached the shackle to the forestay like the hank on clips.

Although it worked a lot better, now you can see my concern about the load not being properly distributed. I did note, however, all of the hank-ons are taking the strain of the wind and tranfering it to the stay, would doing so with the schackle make any difference? Someone please tell me before I break something. Thanks.
Peter
South Daytona, Florida

Boat Name: (Working On A Name)

Model/Year: C-22, 1974

Hull No. 2679

Hailing Port: South Daytona, Florida
10/18/2005 9:22 AM Pacific Time

Michael, this does not address your immediate question, but since you have a 1976 model, has the bow stem been reinforced. These earlier boats have the bow stem bolted down to the deck. There is no additional reinforcement. Later models have a tang that bolts to the hull also. CD has a kit that transfers these upward forces down to the bow eye. Check it out.

Peter
Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/18/2005 10:03 AM Pacific Time

Fortunately, the boat had the bow plate ungraded when I bought it last year. I have checked it out and it appears to have been done properly.

Peter, I grew up in the Daytona area and visit my parents there every so often. Where do you primarily sail, the Halifax or the ocean? Also, are there any good places to overnight? I have thought about trailering my boat over for a couple of days, but I did not know if it would a good idea.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Hull No. 13645

10/18/2005 2:32 PM Pacific Time

Regarding your original problem--If the bottom of the genoa is not coming off the deck, I would recommend adding a short length of line between the shackle and the bow stem. This will keep the luff tight and allow you to raise the sail enough to get it off the deck. The forestay was designed to take the side loads of the hanks. Don't worry about it.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
10/18/2005 5:17 PM Pacific Time

A Genoa for the C22 would span the distance from the deck to the top of the forestay. If the sail does not span this distance, it is either a Jib or not a Catalina 22 Sail. When fully raised, does the clew (corner with the sheets attached) come almost all the way back to the cockpit or stop just past the upper shrouds? This is another way to determine if it is a Jib or a Genoa. A C22 Jib will only come aft to a point just past the upper shroud. A C22 Jib is not cut to go all the way to the top of the forestay. You can sail it perfectly well tacked to the deck and hoisted as far as you can. Or you can attached a short pendant to the deck and allow the sail to be hoisted all the way to the top of the forestay. Either way is OK for general sailing. And yes, if you use the pendant, the sail will be higher up, it will tack across a bit easier because it is not dragging across the deck.

Good Luck
Mike Bracket
steve smith
rothesay nb canada

Boat Name: all hours

Model/Year: 1975?

Hull No. 4928

Hailing Port: rothesay yacht club
10/19/2005 3:55 AM Pacific Time

It's been a beautiful fall here in NB Canada,hope to get my last sail in today.The "jenny" issue is a common one and I solved it the same way,attached an 8 inch lanyard with a snap shackle to the stem and the sail is still about 12 inches from topping out.Tacks fine raises and lowers fine.The clew is right between the windows so it's roughly a 150.Looking to buy a good used #3 if anyone has one for sale I would be interested.....Steve.
Michael
Sarasota, Fl

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/19/2005 7:44 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for all of the help. I really do not know what type of sail I have or if it was made for a Cat 22, but it is good to know that I can make it work.

Sails
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Sails / Genoa Hangs up