Engine

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Johnson 4 HP

Author Johnson 4 HP
Tom Nadeau
Port St. Lucie, FL.

Boat Name: Finalee

Model/Year: C22/ 1982

Hull No. 11178

Hailing Port: Port St. Lucie, FL.
10/07/2004 5:22 PM Pacific Time

Hi all,
Anyone have experience with a Johnson 4 hp. Just acquired one with an '82 C22 and have no clue...I've only run it briefly as I'm not familiar with it and can't find a good manual locally and don't want to fry the impeller. Where does the water discharge from the engine? And any tips on how to stop the carb from dripping fuel. It's not leaking, just seems to be overflowing and dripping out of the venturi. I checked the float and needle, even raised the float level a bit. That seemed to help, but it's still not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get her out on the water for the first time this weekend.
Tom Nadeau
C-22 11178 "Finallee"
Port St. Lucie, FL
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
10/07/2004 6:17 PM Pacific Time

I had a 4 HP Johnson about that vintage. Great motor. 2 cylinders for dependability and smoothness. Very light.
Have you tried running it in a garbage can full of water when its hanging from the motor mount? That's how I always check out my motor every Spring.
Doug Lance
Houston, TX

Boat Name: DecaDecadence

Model/Year: C-22/1977

Hull No. 6395

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, TX
10/08/2004 12:32 PM Pacific Time

Tom,

I have the same motor except an '83. From a local marine repair shop I was able to order a manual and parts. Everything was available.

I don't think this motor has a "pee" hole and the water is discharged a different way (underwater with exhaust maypbe?).

I have the same problem with the fuel leaking/dripping/vaoporizing out. It makes a mess and I've kind of just accepted it. One thing I'm going to try is to completely disconnect the tank from the motor when I shut it down. Maybe the fuel heating up with the tank vent shut is forcing it's way up into the motor.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Engine
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Engine / Johnson 4 HP