Cruising Areas

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing from Dana Point to Avalon Bay Santa Catalina.

Author Sailing from Dana Point to Avalon Bay Santa Catalina.
ERIC
CAMERON PARK,CA

Boat Name: SUNFLOWER

Model/Year: C-22 1970

Hull No. 247

Hailing Port: MARTINEZ
10/13/2004 2:52 PM Pacific Time

Has anyone made this trip before? A friend and I are thinking about doing this. I've sailed in the SF bay, and the surrounding area before but never out in the open ocean itself. What are some things I should consider in preperation for this trip? Can you see the island from shore? If not, can you at least still see the main land when the island comes into view? Is fog normally a problem in this area? Any feedback is welcome.
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
10/13/2004 4:02 PM Pacific Time

I sail mainly in Long Island Sound and made a couple of trips fo far, inshore. From my limited experience:
- have a good toolbox, I mean all the tools, screwdrivers, hexsaw, cordless drill, tape, glue, etc. More is better.
- spare parts, this list can be really long
- safety equipment, dingy, 2 VHF radios (one handheld), Gps, 2 compasses, cell phone (make it waterproof)
- radar reflector, you want to be seen by others
- extra gas
- good anchors
- make sure you batteries are well charged
and many other things but think about your safety first.
Good luck.

"Spirit" #13485

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
10/14/2004 12:42 AM Pacific Time

Eric,
I have made the trip from (although I originally started from San Diego to Dana Pt.), but not in my C-22. I did it in an Islander 24. Not much bigger, but IMHO, designed more towards open-ocean sailing than a C-22. Would I try it in a C-22? Sure. But... I'd MAKE SURE my hull, keel, standing rigging, and rudder were all in tip-top shape. I took an extra outboard, much more fuel than I thought I'd need, and a little Honda generator. I did it without a GPS, but wouldn't do it again without one (or 2) and either a cell phone, a VHF radio, or both. Cell phone reception is surprisingly good between Dana and the Island. Also take ALL the fresh water you think you will need and then some!
On a clear day, you can see the Island from Dana, but I wouldn't count on that. Unless it's a particularly bad day, you should be able to see the island before you lose sight of the CA coastline. Getting back is EASY! :-)
My last 3 pieces of advice:
1. Don't go on a weekend if you plan on mooring in Avalon Harbor (VERY crowded).
2. For your first trip there, go with someone who has gone before (even if they are in another boat).
3. I would not even CONSIDER going THIS time of year in a C-22! Wait til Feb or Mar (at least).
Just my opinions...
Pete
Michael Day
Selma, Oregon

Boat Name: Godspeed II

Model/Year: 1978

Hull No. 8609

Hailing Port: Howard Prairie Lake, OR
10/14/2004 7:40 AM Pacific Time

Eric,
I concur with the replies to your question re. Dana Pt. to Avalon. You can almost count on having to motor to Avalon. The Catalina channel CAN BE one of the most treacherous passages anywhere, and this time of the year doesn't make it any better. I have a friend that would go over (from San Pedro) to the Isthmus quite regularly in his Cal 20. Of course, you can make it in a Cat 22. Just plan ahead.
Good luck,
Mike
ERIC
CAMERON PARK,CA

Hull No. 247

10/14/2004 7:19 PM Pacific Time

Thanks for the replies. This is exactly the kind of info I need. Looks like I'll have plenty of time to plan this out if I won't be going untill March or April. It will give me plenty of time to prep the boat and improve my NAV skills. I bought the book "Exploring the Pacific Coast San Diego to Seattle". I've also ordered a few of the charts for the area from West Marine. A GPS sounds like a handy item to have in reserve in case my NAV skills(or weather) are not up to par by that time.

Speaking of GPS. Does anyone have a preferance or insight on different models/brands? How about foul weather gear and inflateable PFDs?

Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
10/15/2004 2:05 PM Pacific Time

Hi Eric,
Sounds like fun and adventure. I tried yesterday to add this but got cut off with computer problems. Having done the Cabrillo ot Dana Point Race a number of times I can tell you that finding Dana Point ont he way back can be a challenge. We won our class one time because the crew was from there and as we left the east end the flukey winds had us tacking and jibeing many times before they finally steadied out. During those short tacks it is difficult to dead reckon, so we had no good idea of just where we were, which is the first thing you must know in order to navigate to somewhere else. So the fog had cleared and the three crew stood on the fore deck and discussed/argured as to which shore lights were what cities and which black spoots were what. When they finally all agreed they told me to head up untill we were piinting at what they knew to be DAna Point. They were right and we hit it on the nose. Others who had the lastest in Loran C had trouble, because they entered the co-ordinates, as closely as they could intrepret from the chart, that coupled with equipment error had them miss by a couple of miles or more. For a cruiser this may not be a big deal, for racing it is. To get out of the problem is simple, just as you are leaving the harbour slow down and mill around for a few to ten minutes with your GPS or Loran on so that it can find itself. Then enter it as a way point. When ever you want to go back it will be accurate. One freind had done this at his mooring on Catalina, he then found it in the fog one time. If you plan on sailing at night or in fog, I higly reccomend a RADAR reflector. You can make one out of cardboard covered with foil, store it folded flat and put it up in the fog. A man-over-board pole might be a good safety feature, it is tied to the life ring which is in reach of the helmsman and they go over together, it has light that comes on when it floats.
I hope this long disertation will get out this time.
Al Ge
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
10/19/2004 6:30 AM Pacific Time

Eric, 2 weeks ago I went on a sailing trip and was in need of foul weather gear and a good life vest. First, I researched jackets and trousers and found out that Practical Sailor rated Ronstan Inshore jacket as the "best buy". That's what I got, inshore, Airtech jacket and trousers. You can find really good deals on internet right now. I paid @$200 for the set with sticky gloves. I love it. Waterproof and warm. Get a navy blue with red shoulders and you'll lool like a Coast Guard guy :). Second, inflatable PFD. Practical Sailor recommends Crewsaver Crewfit 150N at @$165. I decided against inflatable and bought Stearns type III regular vest. It's really comfortable, keeps you warm and has some many pockets. Paid $50. I wore it under my jacket, you can't do that with inflatable. It was kind of funny when I saw my friend's inflatable "explode" when he accidentally soaked it in water. $20 down the drain, and he didn't have replacement kit with him. Bottom line: too much hassle with those unless you really want to look cool. Third, handheld GPS. I use my 5 year old Magellan unit and I'm happy with it but it would be nice to have all the functionality of new units. Again, according to Practical Sailor, vol. 30, Oct 15, 2004, "Garmin GPS 76 bests the competition with easy-to-read screen, intuitive software, and moderate price". Check EBay for the best deals. Good luck too you.

"Spirit" #13485
ERIC
CAMERON PARK,CA

Hull No. 247

10/19/2004 2:40 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Artur, I check out Practical Sailor.
Derek Hewson
San Pedro, Ca

Boat Name: 2 be Determined

Model/Year: '80

Hull No. CTYH9637M80J

Hailing Port: Los Angeles, CA
11/02/2004 6:47 PM Pacific Time

Eric,

I just purchased a Cat 22 and sailed it from Newport to Long Beach last weekend. Not that this is anything like sailing from Dana to Catalina but a long haul either way. (consider that she's got a couple inch of growth on her bottom. It was like dragging shag carpet!)

One thing that I did notice was how the prevailing winds seem to make an excellent reach toward Avalon from Huntington Pier.

Anyway, wanted to add to this string and say that I would not even hesitate to make that journey. I know it sounds crazy, but in the summer, I frequently go from Redondo to Two Harbors in a 12ft Achillies! Yeah, I know it sounds crazy and the guys at the gas dock think I am nuts but I figure that if things got at there worst, I am always in sight of land and other boats, have a PFD,Flare gun and cell phone. I have also done Redondo to Isthmus in a '69 Ericson 23. That was really fun!

Now, with the new (its just new to me, its a '80 fixed keel) Cat 22, I am seriously wanting to take a week, go around the entire island, from West end down to East...Solo!

I have sailied that channel since I was a little kid and think that you would have to be very ill prepared to find yourself in a situation that would get any worse than "this really sucks"!

Anyway, please let me know when you plan on doing your first crossing! I will try to plan one the same day and stay in radio contact, etc.

I do agree with what everyone is saying here though about that channel being scary this time of year. If I were you, I would sail up to Cabrillo first, then go across (only 22 miles from here) You want to consder that the prevailing winds are almost nil, usually until about 10:30- 11:00. Than means that you are going to be motoring all morning from Dana, untill you get air. I figure by the time you get halfway. If you leave from up here (San Pedro) You can head out much later and actually sail!

As a matter of fact, I bet I could get you in at the marina were at for the night! Then maybe cruise over at the same time. Either way, I am into doing it from here, without much worry. But I watch the swell, weather, wind on a daily bases (long time surfer here)...

Derek Hewson
Cat 22
Baby Blew
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
11/04/2004 9:32 PM Pacific Time

Derek has it right. 30 years ago C22's were regularly going between Catalina and the mainland. The joke was that there are three ways to get to catalina from the mainland: 1. Navigate (you know, use your compass). 2. Follow the great white steamer (is there still one?) 3. Follow the trail of empty beer cans (the most reliable). You cannot believe what has crossed that channel. 35 or so years ago someone even swam it. Derek does it harder in that he has to go around Pt. Fermin which is the end of a big mountain (Palos Verdes) to even see the island. I know people who have REGULARLY gone over in 16 foot outboards. Yeah I know, fishermen are crazy.
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
11/05/2004 11:26 AM Pacific Time

Speaking about beer cans, I have told a story that in the 'Channel' there were so many of the old iron/tin beer cans on the bottom that all the compasses would point in the same directon. It was amazing how people would just think about that and never contest premise.

Don't all compasses point in the same direction regardless of the condition on the bottom?
Lynn Buchanan
Nevada City, CA

Boat Name: SAILYNN

Model/Year: SWING 1984

Hull No. 11994

Hailing Port: SCOTTS FLAT LAKE, CA
11/05/2004 10:23 PM Pacific Time

As a member of Fleet 54 from Grass Valley, CA I have made several trips in my C22 with buddy boaters to Catalina Island. We trailer south to San Pedro where we launch the boat and take off if the weather is fair (I hate fog). Before I got a Garmin GPS we just used the compass and our chart. Sometimes you can see land and sometimes you can't. On our first trip, the swells got so big, we lost sight of our buddy who was just one swell ahead of us. I remember the crashing waves about every fifth set, and just getting drenched. We were wearing t-shirts and shorts and because it was Aug. were warm enough to have big smiles on our face sitting soaking wet in the cockpit, luffing the sails to slow down. We were so new to sailing that we were both afraid to open the hatch to go below and get a smaller headsail and our foul weather gear, or to reef the main. Some trips were all sailing and some have been lots of motoring so have spare gas. All of our trips were in the summer (Jul or Aug) as we were working stiffs. Try to go on a Sunday if you go during the busy season so if you want to stay the whole week, you won't have trouble getting a buoy. Take lots of quarters for the showers and extra, extra, extra fresh water. Bring your dinghy to get to shore or extra money to pay for the water taxi service.
Carlos Quezada
Newport Beach, CA

Boat Name: Mary Katherine

Model/Year: Catalina '22 - 1964

Hull No. 4576

Hailing Port: Dana Point
04/08/2009 5:00 PM Pacific Time

I just wanted to throw in my two cents. We did the crossage this past November, leaving Saturday morning and planning to return on Sunday. We headed out Saturday on a clear glassy day and it was sick, we had the greatest time on the way over.

There wasn't much wind so we motored the whole way (I guess it wasn't really a sailing trip per se,) but it was clear and flat so we could see the island from the harbor and just set a straight course towards the south end. Between two couples we went through a bottle of Captain, a bottle of Hornitos, and about a case of Corona's. Took about seven hours and we pulled into the harbor right at sunset. Needless to say we were hammered, but apparently they must be pretty used to that as the harbor patrol didn't give me any problems as I struggled to tie up to the mooring.

We were suppose to get a good onshore to take us back home the next day....
however it ended up blowin something crazy and the next day there were 18'-22'ft seas mid-channel. The Express wasn't crossing and I heard the Navy ship that was moored outside the harbor that weekend didn't even leave. Needless to say we all missed work Monday. Trying to get back asap we made the crossing with 10' - 14' seas coming back, so I got soaked in the cockpit while everyone else got sick in the cabin.

Definately bring a dinghie, or a least an inflatable. Its a $40 roundtrip for a crew to go ashore. Trying to get in and out of a mooring, with weather, single-handed, drunk/hungover though...not a better option.

It was definately an adventure, but with BoatU.S., VHF, cell coverage and a Garmin, I never really felt like we were in danger. And, having done it, I'm stoked to do it again soon now that its warming up and I know what to expect/plan for.

One thing I would like to try next time is anchoring outside of the harbor, I've heard that's the real way to do Catalina. Avalon itself is kinda boring, but I heard there are some killer dive spots and coves on the more remote parts of the island. Anyone else on here done this?

Email me if you're in DP, (I'm in DWM, C dock) and want to put a fleet together maybe we can follow you out there sometime.

Cruising Areas
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Cruising Areas / Sailing from Dana Point to Avalon Bay Santa Catalina.