Mooring / Docking

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Electrolysis Increased By Dredging??

Author Electrolysis Increased By Dredging??
David Daye
Whidbey IS, WA

Boat Name: Heelin' Dancer

Model/Year: c22 1976 Swing Keel

Hull No. 5634

Hailing Port: Cultus Bay
10/15/2004 11:28 AM Pacific Time

I'm evidently lucky to be so slow at refinishing my keel and painting the bottom of my newly acquired 22. Apart from having met 2 neighbors who once owned 22's.

I'm in a Puget Sound neighborhood marina built into a small shallow sandy tidal bay. The modest channel was dredged last month to let us in/out over about 3/4 of the average tide cycle, but suddenly boaters are reporting anodes disappearing, and electrolytic damage at an increased rate.

My education only lets me guesstimate but it's hard to imagine an environmental cause. The dredged material seems to be all sand and a few % clay, no peat or obvious acid or salt source. The marina is mild brackish due to hill runoff, and there was never any industrial activity or prior settlement since the natives. Much of the surround is still trees although it's regrowth from clearcut perhaps 30-50 years ago.

Docks were temporarily moved. Is it possible that a minor electrical short or leak could be a cause?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
10/15/2004 12:14 PM Pacific Time

My impression is that the usual cause of this problem is power cords leaking some current into the water near the boats. It seems like the dredging must be coincidental.

Joe
David Daye
Whidbey IS, WA

Boat Name: Heelin' Dancer

Model/Year: c22 1976 Swing Keel

Hull No. 5634

Hailing Port: Cultus Bay
10/15/2004 8:45 PM Pacific Time

Ah, so there can be an electrical issue.

The docks have lights & power. You're right, the dredging per se wouldn't be the issue but all the handling of the docks in the process might well have caused some damage to insulation or connectors etc.

Tomorrow I'll recommend an inspection.

Mooring / Docking
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Mooring / Docking / Electrolysis Increased By Dredging??