Swing Keel Replacement

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / Used boat with no keel

Author Used boat with no keel

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/07/2004 3:16 PM Pacific Time

I just purchased a '77 Catalina 22 that had lost her swing keel and now I'm faced with the daunting task of replacing it. I've reviewed lots of online info on removal, refinishing, repairing, etc. My major question is whether there is any chance I can get my hands on a replacement keel. The two pin carriages? are each dangling by one bolt. I guess I should see whether the other two bolts snapped off and will need to be extracted. I imagine some of you know of the guy who replaced his swing keel with a fixed keel. Maybe he'll let me have his old swing keel.
Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
01/10/2004 8:40 PM Pacific Time

Where are you located. There is a swing keel available in Detroit MI. If you are close, a delivery might be possible.

Mike Bracket
Fleet 130
Detroit
Brian Hunt

Boat Name: TBD

Model/Year: C-22 1977

Hull No. 7511

Hailing Port: Annapolis
01/12/2004 6:52 PM Pacific Time

Boat is outside of Washington, DC. I could be motivated to head up to Michgan with a truck if the keel is in decent shape. Also, my C-22 is 1977 vintage and I'll want to be sure that the keel you speak off will work.

Thanks for the tip.

Brian Hunt
Washington, DC

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
01/24/2004 8:22 PM Pacific Time

Brian: sorry for being late with a response. Got busy.
The keel is in decent shape. If you think you might be coming this way, I can get the hold measured with a micrometer. It would require sandblasting and painting - or more if you were serious about racing. I am sure it would work as the boat it came off was a 77 I think.
Drop me a note off post if you need more info. I will try to find out a cost too.

Mike
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
01/25/2004 6:31 PM Pacific Time

Does Mike know that Catalina Direct has a video on rebuilding the keel as well as all necessary parts?
RJ Tazelaar
Nashville, TN

Boat Name: Gecko

Model/Year: 1984 Catalina 22

Hull No. 12180

Hailing Port: Percy Priest Yacht Club
02/12/2004 1:45 PM Pacific Time

I have a '77 c22 here in Nashville that has a swing keel. I'll know next week if I'm parting it out or not. It has the castings. I'd replace the pin, bolts and cable, but the keel and the castings would be usable. The keel would have to be refinished, as it's a little rough. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.
John
Folsom, Ca

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
02/18/2005 1:57 PM Pacific Time

I lost the keel off my boat this fall. Does any body know what the specs are for the keel. I need to know the shape including size and weight. I'm thinking of cutting a piece of 1" or 3/4" steel plate and then shaping with polyester or epoxy filler. I also would be interested in buying a keel if anyone knows of one in the LI, NY area.
Glenn

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/03/2005 1:26 PM Pacific Time

i just bought a 1973 catalina 22 foot sailboat.
it has no keel also... nor a rudder, ive been trying to find a used swing keel for it does anyone know where i could find one.. ive looked and looked.. im new to all this.. this time its my boat and not someone eles

you can email me directly through my web site
dogpilepatrol.com

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/03/2005 1:27 PM Pacific Time

by the way i live in florida. the tampabay area
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/03/2005 2:21 PM Pacific Time

To get a used keel you'd have to find someone local who is parting out a boat (ie cutting it up for parts). A new keel can be purchased from Catalina yachts for about $1100. A complete rudder costs $649 for the kick-up model or $485 for a fixed mount. I've seen more udsed rudders advertised than keels. Good luck!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/03/2005 2:43 PM Pacific Time

thanks
do i have to find the same year and size boat for a keel? what are my limitaions
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
05/03/2005 5:15 PM Pacific Time

I believe the dimensions of all the swing keels are the same. The older (70's) keels are supposedly flat on one side if they haven't been faired. My 1986 is relatively symetrical.

Before you go off and spend hundreds of dollars plus shipping for a keel, check/ask about the keel pin hole wear. Almost round and a little play on the pin is OK. Lots of play and a visibly oblong hole are bad. Also make sure the cable fitting on the back of the keel is present.

Other things to check related to the keel. The keel is held onto the bottom of the boat by a brass pin and 2 hangers/pillow blocks. Each of the hangers is held on by 2 bolts. Do you have the pin and hangers? Are the threads in the bottom of the boat for the bolts OK?

You didn't say how much you paid for the boat, but if you are missing the keel hangers and the bolt threads are damaged, you have alot of work ahead of you. Its best to assess the total cost and magnitude of the project now before you start.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/03/2005 6:50 PM Pacific Time

i have no idea whats in the keel slot it self. havent gotten that far as of yet..

some of these things you metioned are on a keel i would find
and some are the boar right??
Ill have my husband look at it when he gets a chance

are their any books on boats like backyard shadtree boat fixers....i sure hope so

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/03/2005 6:53 PM Pacific Time

crap forgot to ask di u mean any make and model of a boat in the simular length of my boats keel would work?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/03/2005 7:22 PM Pacific Time

you know the last time i looked at the under neath of the boat the slot seemed auful short, maybe it has a lift keel and not a sweing keel. could that be possible and the guy just listed it and refurs to it as a swing keel..
the boats being trailered home this comming weekend

it its a lift keel do i have a better chance at finding and replacing it more easly

i remember one of my fathers boats had a keel that lifter up on this tall division on the floor... i remember him telling me to lift up on it..... the other sail boats has a rop with a big bead on the end and one with a crank
all the boats that im remebering were no smaller then 18 feet long up to some where in the hight 20's like 28 i would think feet long.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/04/2005 8:26 AM Pacific Time

I forgot to add the the boat without a keel that i bought will be needing a rudder also

i can almost feel the spritzzing of sea water in my face....
I guess after 20yrs of living in florida im now officalaly a floridian now that i got a boat of my own

Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
05/04/2005 9:06 AM Pacific Time

Dear Judy-- Although I you may be able to almost feel the mist of water, I am sure that can already hear the great sucking sound of money being vacuumed from your purse and into the boat.

Congrats on the boat. I wish you many years of happiness and great sailing with it. Vic
Bob Conway
Huber Heights, Ohio

Boat Name: Spindrift

Model/Year: C22/1979

Hull No. #8717

Hailing Port: Buck Creek, Ohio
05/04/2005 9:42 AM Pacific Time

If you can't find a rudder, check out this possibility:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/EllenRudder.htm

Bob Conway
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
05/05/2005 5:58 AM Pacific Time

Dear Judy - I hate to rain on your parade but.... Unless you were given the boat, I think you were taken. You would be better off selling all the removable hardware on the boat to other Catalina 22 owners (assuming the scoundrel who sold you the boat actually sold you a Catalina 22). Use the money toward the purchase of a working Catalina 22. There are thousands of them and some of the owners are wishing to move up. Florida is a prime hunting ground for used Catalina 22s.

From your posts, you sound like a novice. Find someone who is knowledgeable about a Catalina 22 and have them check out the boat BEFORE you buy it. If you can afford it have the boat surveyed.

To continue with your current boat sounds like a long frustrating road before you will ever feel mist in your face.

Please find a good boat and go sailing. It is much better for your soul than trying to restore one so badly lacking.
Carlos
Fajardo, PR

Boat Name: Perfect Time

Model/Year: Catalina 22' - 1971

Hull No. 474

Hailing Port:
05/05/2005 8:23 AM Pacific Time

Judy, try this email [email protected], belong to Howard and maybe he could help you with the keel & rudder.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/05/2005 5:37 PM Pacific Time

a novice as in my own boat not my fathers boat.. i may not know all the termanology but i do remember how to sail and some what keeping the boat ship shape from what i was aloud to do or made to do even if i didnt want to climb that high to untangel somthing. I am turning 45 and wish to enjoy my early golden years . yes early golden years.... Ive waited to long to start enjoying life now that my daugter has been in collage for almost three years now
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
05/06/2005 2:48 AM Pacific Time

Judy, I lean in Dick King's direction after having been there, done that -- and I started with a whole boat in good shape a year newer than yours.

If I ever have it to do over again, I'll spend the money up front even if it means taking out a loan; after all, you can buy a lot of boat for the $20K I've sunk into Chip Ahoy over the past three springs. For what I've spent, never mind the hundreds of hours of my labor, I could now own outright a boat with a much higher resale value than the $6,000 or $7,000 I might get for Chip Ahoy if I ever decide to sell it. And if I'd put the money up front instead of shoveling it into my hole in the water over three years, I'd have had a completed boat from Day One and have just been out sailing.

If you need more convincing, go to the Chip Ahoy website and visit the "Projects" page:
http://chipford.com/projects.htm

There you'll find detailed information and photos of my keel restoration project, replacing the keel turning ball etc., and rebuilding my keel winch -- along with a multitude of other detailed and useful information for do-it-yourselfers.

When you get done there, go to "The cost for my own hole in the ocean" and see how my "good deal" at $2,500 has turned into a $20,000 31-year old boat in three years.

You might want to look at the marine survey I had done last summer (for insurance purposes, so I could up my coverage before my month's cruise up the coast of Maine).
http://www.chipford.com/survey.pdf

The survey's bottom line: Present Value: $9,800 - Replacement Value: $27,000. The most the insurance company would cover is that "present value."

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 Swing Keel "Chip Ahoy" #3282
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com

Pete Staehling
Baltimore, Md

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/06/2005 3:49 AM Pacific Time

Take Chip's advice. It is on the mark.

Unless you like fixing up boats more than sailing (some folks apparently do) buy a boat in useable condition.

C22's can be had cheap enough that it really doesn't make sense to take on a project unless the project is what you want rather than a boat, and you have time and money to throw away. Used C22's in useable condition that I have seen have ranged from $1500 - $6000. For $1500 - $2500 they ranged from rough to OK. For $6000 a real beauty on a nice trailer can be found.

Take on a project and you will quickly spend more than you could have bought a useable boat for.

Pete
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

05/06/2005 5:32 AM Pacific Time

Judy- Please contact me at (phonetics) romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth.net. We need to talk!!

Dick King

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/06/2005 6:09 AM Pacific Time

sorry i wasnt in the military youll have to use plain english
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
05/06/2005 6:45 AM Pacific Time

Judy, I don't know if your father told you but even smallest boats get really expensive. Boat maintenance doesn't go in parallel with car service. Parts are much more expensive and labor cost (you may need someone to work on your boat soon) is out of this world.
I bought my C22, 1986, 2 years ago in very good condition for $5K on the trailer without an outboard. It was really, ready to sail however, 2 seasons later I'm about $4.5K in the hole. I admit, I didn't have to make all the upgrades and I would still be sailing her but in your case it's a "show stopper". You must spend $3-4K before you can put here in the water.
I'm not sure how much you paid but I'm pretty sure you will be able to recover all your money by parting your boat out.
I know, boat projects are exiting but also very costly.
Good luck to you and don't get offended by all the comments. People really try to help here. Thanks.

"Spirit" #13485

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/06/2005 6:58 AM Pacific Time

tried to figue out what
contact me at (phonetics) romeo tango kilo juliet romeo at bellsouth.net. means
but no luck... im not here to make enemies
i was told this was a freindly place.. will check my mail later got some new late morning accounts for my scooping business to take care of

Jeff Conley
Marietta, Georgia

Boat Name: Sarah

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10070

Hailing Port:
05/06/2005 7:09 AM Pacific Time

Judy,
He is trying to give you his email address, take the first letter of each word put the "at" symbol after it.
CD won't let you put an email address in a message.
By the way I am doing a restoration project myself these guys are right it can be fun but it can also be expensive, I have had some really good luck with parts though.

Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
05/06/2005 7:17 AM Pacific Time

Dear Judy-- A gree with the rest of the crew, that you may be better off parting out your current boat, and purchasing one in "Sail now" shape. I have such a boat. It is an 86, that I bought in sailable shape. It does not have all of the toys, or go-fast stuff, but has everything it needs.

I use the boat primarily for entertaining my kids and friends.

I picked it up for about $3,000.00 with a trailer and a good 9.9 HP outboard. Every year I spend about $500.00 -$1500.00 on mainitaining it. New main sail one year ($300.00 used); New Standing rigging and halyards this year (~$500.00); Keel refurbished etc two years ago ($700.00).

In addition, every year I pay about $1,200.00 for a slip.

The point of this is that keeping a boat is not free. Even with the "fix only what is broke" approach that I take, you will still be spending significant sums on the boat every year.

Even with the expense, however, the boat is still a bargain when you consider the enjoyment that I receive from it. There is no need to unduly delay your gratification by spending a lot of money and even more time fixing up a boat, when , for probably less money, you can start enjoying your early golden years now.

Good luck with whatever course of action you choose. Vic

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/06/2005 7:20 AM Pacific Time

ok now i really really need to go but i tried
rtkjr (r t k r ) before the at bellsouth part twice and it didnt work. i must be unless im transposing letters

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/06/2005 7:21 AM Pacific Time

woops removing the period would help.. sorry
R. C. Luiken
Milford, DE

Boat Name: Ricochet

Model/Year: C-22 Swing Keel/1986

Hull No. 13560

Hailing Port: Milford, DE/St. Michaels, MD
05/06/2005 2:29 PM Pacific Time

Judy the address is [email protected].

This list is a friendly place. I believe that all of the "negative" comments you have been reading are given as friendly advice.

I, like so many others on the list, have been there, done that. I know that I spend quite a bit to keep "Ricochet" in, what others say is, "gee whiz" shape every year.

What you have described in yours posts sounds to me like you are faced with the prospect of trying to make a sow's ear out of its nose.

I take great pleasure, and pride, in working on my boat, but there are some things that are better left to their own devices. We don't know your skill level or how deep your pockets are, but our comments are given with the best of intentions based on our experinces.
Pete Staehling
Baltimore, Md

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/07/2005 5:30 AM Pacific Time

Judy,

Please take no offence at any of the comments made here so far. Folks are trying to be sure you don't make a big expensive mistake. The decisions are yours and what was said is only well intentioned advice that you are free to take or not. You will at least have a better idea of what you are getting in to and what your options are. If you decide to continue with the project this is a good place to get help.

I am sure everyone here wishes you the best of luck and hopes you enjoy whichever route you choose to take.

Pete
Al Gearing
Burleson, Texas

Boat Name: Torch of Freedom

Model/Year: C-22/'76

Hull No. 6448

Hailing Port: Arlington YC
05/08/2005 5:28 AM Pacific Time

Judy, it is [email protected], but to not have a full legal e-mail address floating around Dick King and others discize (sp?) it by using phonetics. The form I used must be converted to all llower case letters before it will work.
I agree with the others, that trying to find a keel and fitting it into your boat is going to be expensive, and difficult. Just fairing the keel with the help of a tractor to lift it and move it around is a time comsumming job and so far I've spent about $300 and I have all the tools in the world and a shop that I can and have, put a C22 into for painting.
Good luck, Al Ge

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/08/2005 5:19 PM Pacific Time

Judy, take up mr Kings offer and contact him on this issue. I purchased a C22 a few years ago, completely rebuilt her. She had been in the water for 16 year so the bottom and keel took a long time to get her right. Now on the other hand I think the work was very worth while and I really enjoy racing her. The rework of the keel did take an awful long time, so find out as much as you can about how to go about this. good luck
Bob Scott C22 BANSHEE 6973

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/08/2005 7:32 PM Pacific Time

well she made it across the state and is parked in our yard all queeky clean, have my keel (thats in good working order in the important places) situation lined up and a deposit just about ready to mail out all thats needed is to scoop hard and fast to pay it off and figure out a pick up date.
the rest will work it self out.
i think my nose got burnt while wahing the boat
Tom & Andrea Farley
Sparks, Nevada

Boat Name: "Miss O"

Model/Year: 86 C22

Hull No. I will check

Hailing Port: not sure yet
05/11/2005 8:57 PM Pacific Time

Judy,
Have fun and use plenty of sun block, we are here to help.
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
05/12/2005 6:57 AM Pacific Time

Judy, I've been following this thread. Did you decide to part out the boat or get a keel and rudder and repair her?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/13/2005 7:19 AM Pacific Time

shes a keeper.... todays my birthday,,, th big "45"
she was a birthday/mothersday gift from
my husband and myself to ME, Myself & I.......yesterday we all (grin) worked on some of the woodwork.

Jeff Conley
Marietta, Georgia

Boat Name: Sarah

Model/Year: 1981

Hull No. 10070

Hailing Port:
05/13/2005 8:28 AM Pacific Time

Just wait until you raise the mast for the first time, my son and I did that last weekend. It's an experience worth remembering.
Just be patient on the parts, join a couple of forums and let people know what you need the parts are out there.

Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
05/13/2005 9:17 AM Pacific Time

Happy Birthday! I have an old boat too, and she is taking some time and some $$ to get her right. She was in good condition when I bought her last year - at least I thought so. But after having her, I found a few problems and am getting the fixed now. Good luck.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
05/13/2005 12:20 PM Pacific Time

thank you for the birthday wishes..
the day has gone pretty good so far even though its the 13th an it landed on a Friday
even though I got suck in some sugar sand with my
scooping truck but some construction guys pulled
me out and off I went to finish my poop scooping route.

I picked up two new hopeful yards as well today in my email for a request for service one yard right next to the other so today is the best birthday in a long time....
it turners out they were watching channel 8 daytime show last week and saw an old interview I had done for them last year for my business even better they right on my route .
maybe should put a flag on the back of the boat with my business name.com on it and advertise while out enjoying the day
George
Georgetown, SC

Boat Name: Blu Notes

Model/Year: C-22 1982

Hull No. 11184

Hailing Port: Georgetown, SC
05/30/2005 5:03 PM Pacific Time

I will bet you could have one cast yourself and get a BETTER one at the same time.

Make a model of what you want out of wood that fits perfectly and will not "klunk" and have a foundry sandcast it for you out of lead. Much cheaper than a new keel, and probably better too. I have had it with these klunking keels, I may take this route myself.
Bill Fuqua
Houston, TX

Boat Name: Mr Bill

Model/Year: C22 1981

Hull No. 9857

Hailing Port: Clear Lake, Tx
05/30/2005 7:53 PM Pacific Time

Yesterday my swing keel Catalina 22 turned into a fixed keel.... the keel is fixed at the bottom of Galveston Bay. I really didn't sleep well last night.

Now my boat is old and after reading this thread it might be better to scrap the boat and get something newer - maybe with a real fixed keel - but I just don't have the heart. So, if you know of a scrapped boat anywhere near Houston please send me a note.

Thanks for the info Judy

Bill
Bill Fuqua
Houston, TX

Hull No. 9857

07/05/2005 7:26 AM Pacific Time

Thanks for the keel John... saved my boat from the slaughter house. Bill

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/05/2005 8:25 AM Pacific Time

i tried to find the correct info i told you about did it help in your search?
Bill Fuqua
Houston, TX

Hull No. 9857

07/06/2005 5:58 AM Pacific Time

I appreciate the info you gave me. I posted the need on this board and a fellow from Houston read about it. He happened to have a spare keel. He got it from a fellow who parted out his boat after it was destroyed in an auto accident. I will always keep my eyes open for another one. Did you get your boat sailing? I hope so.

Bill

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/06/2005 6:12 AM Pacific Time

fantastic!!!! not yet
did the guy from Houston have a kick up rudder by chance?
write me if you still have my email address
Karry
Edmonton, Alberta

Boat Name: Omigosh

Model/Year: Catalina 22 - 1976

Hull No. 5491

Hailing Port: Wabamun, Alberta
07/06/2005 11:04 AM Pacific Time

Hi Judy,

I have been following this thread as well. I just bought my first boat, a 1976 ‘22 in May. I bought my boat from Ontario and tailored it back here to Alberta. I knew I would have work to do on my boat too. I understand the comments in this list, and I must admit, they put a bit of a scare into to me before I picked up my boat too. I was not sure if I was doing the right thing, but hey, you only live once!

The boat sat on my driveway for a month because every time we planned to take it to the lake, the weather was bad, or worse, tornado warnings. We finally got the boat cleaned up and out to the marina last weekend and got the mast up and put it in the water. I put the main sail up over the weekend, but I still have to set up the jib on the roller furling. This is new to me because I have never sailed with a roller furling before.

I will give you this advice: When raising the mast, make sure you have a few extra people around to help, just in case. We found we needed a few extra hands, mostly because it was our first time raising the mast, and then the wind picked up.

For me, the excitement did not come until I put the boat in its slip, then it hit me. I could not stop smiling. I am hoping to get the jib on the roller furling this week so I can take her out for her first sail later this week.

Good luck to you!

Karry
Artur Piotrowski
Burlington, Ct

Boat Name: Spirit

Model/Year: C22 1986

Hull No. 13485

Hailing Port: Bantam, Ct
07/06/2005 7:38 PM Pacific Time

Extra help is always a problem, maybe not always but it stops me from doing sailing/trailing by myself. I did a little improvement over the weekend to my setup and now I can raise and lower the mast with minimal help from my wife. I know that people from the list had many different ideas but I think mine is simple and inexpensive. What I got is a square tube, 9-10 feet long that I insert at the boat launch into the larger square tube that is a part of my trailer. I'm talking about the tube that has the trailer winch installed on. Using a simple system of a couple of single blocks from Home Depot attached to the upper end of the 9-10 foot tube and 1/4" line I get nice leverage with 1:2 purchase. When not used I keep it strapped to the trailer. Simple and easy. Good luck.
Bill Fuqua
Houston, TX

Hull No. 9857

07/07/2005 2:03 PM Pacific Time

Judy, all he bought was the keel and he had it for two years. I missplaced your email address. I would like to have stayed in contact to know about your launch date!

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/07/2005 4:41 PM Pacific Time

I thought I had your email in my boat stuff file in my mail too
my direct email has my scooping name of
dogpilepatrol and my internet provider is Tampa.rr.com
dogpilepatrol @ tampabay.rr.com

im working on gettin the keel done then installed
finding a few extra parts like the rudder and a tiller
the figuring out what parts i do and don't have of the Boomvang and the mainstay that were tossed in a bag when i got the boat
then find a mast plate... few plain not to old winches for where the old ones must of been mounted

if the storm brings in enough rain i may end up christen her early in the yard before she floots away....since we tend to flood where the boat is sitting (grin)...... hope everyone in the path of the storm stays safe over the weekend

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
08/11/2005 11:54 PM Pacific Time

Does anyone know about replacing something called the weldment, or something like that? I am looking at a boat where the owner was in the ocean and apparently moored too close to the shore and damaged a section next to where the swing keel is located. He says that CatalinaDirect personnel have estimated as much as 12 hours and as little as 4 hours to complete the repairs.

Thanks for all replies.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Hull No. 15546

08/13/2005 5:22 AM Pacific Time

Please do yourself a favor and run away from the boat. Yes the weldments can be replaced, if you know what you are doing and have the talent for it or the money to buy it.

But why would you want to do it? There are literally hundreds of Catalina 22s that still have their keels hanging from them.

I would go with the ten hour estimate or more.

Good luck with your decision
Sam McMahan
Irving, Texas

Boat Name: Traveler

Model/Year: 1977 C-22

Hull No. 7888

Hailing Port: Lake Ray Hubbard
08/15/2005 6:52 AM Pacific Time

Hi Judy,

I bought my 1977 C-22 for $3,250 back in 1999. I sold her in June of 2004 for $3,000. It came with no trailer and I sailed her where I bought her and had a wonderful time doing so. I believe I put close to $5,000 into her as normal maint and repair work. Not much, the first thing I did was a bottom job then later I added a stern pulpit and replaced the teak and replaced some rigging. I blew out a sail once and had to have her sewed up and I had them all refurbished. The boat was in good shape when I bought her and for the length of time I had her, I don't think I spent all that much on her. I hope you enjoy her as much as I did. I sold mine to a young couple at the marina where I sliped her. (I bought a Harley).

Good luck

Sam McMahan
Traveler (Now Boatless)
C-22
Dave Dias
Brookfield Ohio

Boat Name: Double D

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ashtabula Ohip
12/29/2010 5:47 PM Pacific Time

I am looking for a swing keel for my cat 22. Any takers? I need it to continue my sailing. It dropped off in some deep water, so it is listed as gone.
nurse_jer
detroit, mi

Boat Name:

Model/Year: catalina 25/1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/29/2010 5:47 PM Pacific Time

I am looking for a swing keel for my cat 22. Any takers? I need it to continue my sailing. It dropped off in some deep water, so it is listed as gone.
nurse_jer
detroit, mi

Boat Name:

Model/Year: catalina 25/1985

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
07/15/2011 6:32 PM Pacific Time

Still dry docked. Need a swing keel badly 1974 cat22. Am starting to think aqbout parting it out.
[email protected]
Dave Dias
Brookfield Ohio

Boat Name: Double D

Model/Year: 1974

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Ashtabula Ohip
07/15/2011 6:32 PM Pacific Time

Still dry docked. Need a swing keel badly 1974 cat22. Am starting to think aqbout parting it out.
[email protected]

Swing Keel Replacement
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Swing Keel Replacement / Used boat with no keel