Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New to Cat 22 sailing!

Author New to Cat 22 sailing!
Bob Figueroa Sr.
Islip Terrace, NY

Boat Name: Ruah

Model/Year: 1975

Hull No. CTYH51550575

Hailing Port: Islip, NY
10/21/2004 11:49 PM Pacific Time

Greetings to all. Although I have spent many years on the water (fishing, Navy etc.), I am totally new to sailing. I've been studying for a year now preparing myself and have had the benefit of a co-worker who is a Cat 22 enthusiast and he has been a great source of inspiration for me. In fact with his help I have just purchased an '85 Cat 22 in excellent shape, ready to sail. I have been reading the posts in this clubhouse for awhile and can see that you folks are the real deal and are a treasure chest of great information and motivation. I feel confident that I will be well prepared next spring and hope to be worthy enough to be counted among your number. Here's to a fruitful and lasting association with fellow sailors.
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
10/22/2004 6:10 AM Pacific Time

Welcome Bob, I agree, everyone in this dicussion group is wonderful. Lots to be learned from everyone. I am new to the Cat22 and to sailing also. I hope in a few years to be a great a mentor as so many in this group. Thanks to all!
Derek Hewson
San Pedro, Ca

Boat Name: 2 be Determined

Model/Year: '80

Hull No. CTYH9637M80J

Hailing Port: Los Angeles, CA
10/26/2004 10:44 AM Pacific Time

Hi all!
I too am brand new to the Cat 22.
I wanted to propose a question to all....

I just spent (I don’t know how long) reading virtually “every bit” of Chip's website! I am in awe of the time and effort he has put into Chips Ahoy and his website! I am impressed beyond anything I would have expected. The website pulled me into a “cant stop reading” trance like I have not experienced since reading Fatal Storm! LOL. Seriously!

My father was from out that way (Jefferson Maine) and introduced me to sailing back in 1980 on a Catalina 25 he purchased. Unfortunately, he and I did not see eye to eye on a lot of things. He was an ex-mil WWII vet and I ended up a California big wave surfer at a young age.

However, when the “ol’man” purchased that Catalina 25 and began to take her out, we soon found out that we had a common bond.

Anyway, Dad’s long since gone. I lost him in ’87 to cancer. I now have a thirteen-year- old of my own that LOVES to sail. So, I did the only right thing that a father can do….I bought a boat! It’s not a 25, but a 22 . I picked it up on E-Bay (of all places) sight unseen!!

What the **** am I thinking!?!?!?!? I put in this measly $800 bid, as nothing more than a novelty, next thing you know, I’m a boat owner! I am also scared to death about her condition! I got my first sail with her Sunday. Looks a little weathered. Not even as bad as what Chip started with….but the bottom…from what I can see….it looks bad. Couple inches of growth. It’s a fixed keel, in the saltwater, in Newport ca. The first thing I have done is arranged haul out and bottom paint. $500.00 est. (I know it will run $700 at least….maybe more?)

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone might be able to answer me one extremely loaded question…..What would YOU guys….knowing what you do,….look for in this situation?? People have me scared to death with stories of “water-logged hulls” and keels “ready to drop off”……What rule of thumb would you use to say, “O.K…..this is not worth it”??? I mean, whats the worst/best case?

It’s a 1980

Outside teak has almost nothing but grain left

1980 Yamaha starts on one pull.

Base of stantions have a little rust, as does the Standing rigging eyes

Main has been uncovered for who knows how long

Has the backstay adjuster

And Its love at first site!

Any advice you can give is appreciated more than you will ever know!

Much Thanks,

Derek Hewson

Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
10/26/2004 11:18 AM Pacific Time

Derek-- Congrats on the boat. I hope that you will love it, and have as much fun on it as I have with my kids ( now15 and 12)

I think that the most important thing for you to look for is perspective. It is an $800.00 boat. It will not be the fastest in the fleet, nor will it look the best. If you are interested in impressing your buds (or the babes) it is probabably not the best boat for you and should be sold, before you start investing big bucks in it.

Howwever, if you are looking for a good sail, and a vehicle for having fun with your son, it may be the ticket. Mine was a cheap boat that, with about $500.00 worth of repairs per year and a little TLC, has served me quite admirably.

I would concentrate on those things that will render the boat either unsafe, or which will require large expenditures inthe near future.

I don't know much about hulls, but some things that I would look for, and budget to replace over the next few years are (1) the keel cable (they are notorious on C-22s for frequent replacement); (2) the running rigging (e.g. forestay, side stays etc) (has a useful life of about 3-10 years); (3) the Halyards, and the (4) the keel which is probably in need of a good sanding and re-painting.

Hopefully, others can point out issues that may affect the hull or other boat-integrity concerns.

Vic Indiano
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
10/26/2004 12:08 PM Pacific Time

Derek,

You ought to edit your profile to show your fixed keel so people don't miss that point. It is a major difference and you should be much better off in salt water with it. I'm a swinger and know nothing about the fixed keels.

Joe
Derek Hewson
San Pedro, Ca

Hull No. CTYH9637M80J

10/26/2004 1:52 PM Pacific Time

Vic,

Thanks for the feedback!

I am looking at the standing rigging and can see that it needs to be done. Loose n kinda rusty.
All in all, I really like the boat. I had a friend that had one that I taught him how to sail. I am just really worried about what to look for on her bottom. Everything else I am an old hat at.I am expecting blisters, just want to know how bad blistering can get and if it ever gets bad enough to throw in the towel.

Other than that, I am looking forward to having some serious fun with my daughter on the boat. She's real excited about it.

One thing that I really want to look into is finding a bigger Genoa. Is there somewhere to go for this?(Used)

Joe,

Thanks for the info. Actually, my profile does show a fixed keel. Was wondering, does it say otherwise on your end?

Thanks for the responses. I am looking forward to more communication with all! Seem like a great bunch!

Derek
Vic
Indianapolis, Indiana

Boat Name: Summer Zamboni

Model/Year: 1985?

Hull No. 13100

Hailing Port: Geist Marina, Indianapolis
10/26/2004 2:08 PM Pacific Time

Derek-- Your posting does say fixed keel. I just forgot that it did as I was preparing my missive.

Be careful about getting your daughter too interested in sailing. Mine decided that she liked it, and convinced me that it was necessary to her development as a sailor to send her on a camp-led expedition to the Keys for two weeks of sailing next summer. Now $1,700.00 poorer, I am thinking that I should have got her interested in a less expensive past time!!

Have fun with the boat!

Vic
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
10/29/2004 12:44 PM Pacific Time

Derek,

The profile I was referring to shows on the left hand side of the page. When you log in you can "edit your profile".

Joe
Uwe Behrendt
Rutland Vermont

Boat Name: Joyful

Model/Year: 1977 C22

Hull No. 7200

Hailing Port: Plunder Bay Orwell VT
10/30/2004 4:36 AM Pacific Time

Welcome BOB
This is also my first season on this site with my new, used C22
We seem to have many new members this year that have purchased a restorable Catalina
I would love to have all our beginners get together sometime next summer on
Lake Champlain in Vermont to exchange Ideas and learn from each other.
If interested let me know.
I don’t believe we have a local c22 group up here .

Uwe

Boat Name: Sunshine

Model/Year: C-22/ 1977

Hull No. 7245

Hailing Port: Eglin AFB
10/31/2004 6:37 PM Pacific Time

Free: Bent Stern Pulpit
I got a bent stern pulit form Al G. a few years ago but never had time to get it repaired. I have since bought a good used one. This one is free to whoever wants it. It will need the back repaired where it looks like someone backed into a post and one of the legs broke off at the weld too. However it is repairable.
Will not ship and first come first serve.
Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
11/01/2004 6:50 AM Pacific Time

Hi Sunshine- (You need to add your name to your profile.)

I noticed your hailing port is Eglin AFB. I spent a happy time there in the late fifties. My dad was the Vice Commander of AIr Proving Grounds Command. There was no boat basin then and the Capehart housing was brand new. I especially enjoyed water skiing (that was about 15 years before I discovered sailing.)

I also fell in love for the first time. She was the hospital commander's daughter. She was 6 ft tall. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

If you haven't already made contact with them, there is a very active fleet in Fort Walton Beach. Give Bob Endicott a shout. Drop me an EMail at romeo tango kilo julliet romeo at bellsouth.net, and I will send you his address.

Philip Kirk
Chicago, IL

Boat Name: Quick Response

Model/Year: C22 1984

Hull No. 12521 - Fixed Keel

Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
11/01/2004 12:54 PM Pacific Time

Derek,

I have a 1984 fixed fin keel C22 that I purchased last year in similar conditions ... great price so I figured what the heck. To get comfortable with the keel on my boat, I had a marine surveyor check it out. It cost a bit of $ (not too much) and made me feel better about the keel not dropping off right after I launched the boat. At one point (two owner's prior) the keel was actually separated from the hull and the owner re-mounted the keel. Consequently I have an extra keel bolt that was installed to keep the keel on. Over the summer I noted a notable amount of water in the keel bilge when I'd go sailing ... anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 inches of water. I was always diligent about sponging it out. I just hauled my boat out a few weeks ago for the winter and gave the keel a good review and did not see any cracks, etc. So don't be scared off just because the keel bolts look a bit rusty, but consider a marine surveyor if you are really concerned.
Derek Hewson
San Pedro, Ca

Hull No. CTYH9637M80J

11/01/2004 7:54 PM Pacific Time

Philip,

Thanx for the piece of mind! She is over at the boatyard right now. We'll see how she fares!

Derek
Bob Figueroa Sr.
Islip Terrace, NY

Hull No. CTYH51550575

11/01/2004 11:39 PM Pacific Time

Many thanks to everyone posting here. It's great to see and feel the enthusiasm among peers here.
Uwe from Rutland. You touched a chord with your thoughts about a get together. I grew up in Brandon just north of Rutland some 40+ years ago. It is beautiful up there and I Go back there often to exercise my other love, photography. Wouldn't it be nice to see your idea take flight. I could go for that.
Marie, your post is inspiring.
Paul Eschmann
Rochester, NY

Boat Name:

Model/Year: C22/1975

Hull No. CTYH47740375

Hailing Port: Brockport, NY
11/02/2004 6:19 AM Pacific Time

I am interested in the stern pulpit. Will pay shipping to Rochester NY ([email protected])
Larry Brand
Providence, Rhode Island

Boat Name: Prost!

Model/Year: C22/1987

Hull No.

Hailing Port: Providence
11/02/2004 4:59 PM Pacific Time

ATTN: Uwe

I would love to participate in a Lake Champlain meeting of fellow C22's. We have family in the area and have wanted to do something like that... let me know the next steps

Thanks,

Larry
[email protected]
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
11/03/2004 5:26 AM Pacific Time

Wow Derek, thanks for the inspiration! That my website is so appreciated makes it all worthwhile. I only wish I started documenting each step I took in detail when I first got "Take Five" -- which quickly became "Chip Ahoy." (Thank my girlfriend, Barbara, for that -- which I thought was a perfect fit for my first boat after two decades!) I didn't appreciate everyone else's need for information until later -- then decided to document and pass on all I learned, good and bad. (It wasn't easy on my ego going back and putting "Wrong Way!" over photos of things I installed the wrong way, but it was better than letting others do it the wrong way too.)

You're having it surveyed? As you know if you read my website, I just had mine surveyed this season. You'll get results for your money. If they tell you your hull and keel are in good shape, stop worrying. I only wish I got a fixed keel when I bought Chip Ahoy: the swing keel is an unnecessary nuisance for the kind of sailing I do.

$800!!! You're starting out with a lot to play with. I bought Chip Ahoy for $2,500 but have over $17K and hundreds of labor-hours into it now -- a labor of love. I did it a little at a time, but it sure mounted up quickly over two years. It's now pretty much where I wanted it to be, though there are always ... things to do ...

When I got Chip Ahoy, most of the teak trim was beyond repair: I removed it all then had the carpenter at the boatyard replace it, using the old trim as a template. What was salvageable, I sanded down and oiled. Other than that, it sounds like you've got a gem -- enjoy it, but you've picked it up at such a good price that you can improve on what you own (you can't help yourself either, I'll bet!) for a while without even considering resale losses -- like me!

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website:www.chipford.com

Dick King
Melbourne, FL

Boat Name: Twilight Zone

Model/Year: Sport/2005

Hull No. 15546

Hailing Port: Melbourne, FL
11/03/2004 6:34 AM Pacific Time

Bob F.- You can also find lots of good information on the Catalina 22 maillist provided by Sailnet.com. It is not as structured as the Clubhouse, but does provide a search function which is currently liacking here. To subscribe, go to:

http://tinyurl.com/58mta
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
11/03/2004 8:38 AM Pacific Time

Derek Hewson,

You posted a scream for help on keel rust, but there is something wrong with the post or ?? I can't reply to your post there. I can't tell what the situation is on your keel, but be aware that it is extremely hard to tell how bad rust is until it is cleaned up some. On heavy castings it can look really bad. You might do a little banging around with a ball peen hammer to see how deep it is. The real issue is the connection to the hull, of course. I don't know anything about setup fixed keel setup, but it may be worthwhile to drop the keel to check your fastenings. This sort of thing is probably pretty expensive in a yard. Perhaps you could haul it home for the winter?

Good Luck.

Joe
Bob Figueroa Sr.
Islip Terrace, NY

Hull No. CTYH51550575

11/08/2004 9:57 PM Pacific Time

Dick King,
Thankyou for the lead to Sailnet. I logged in and am receiving the posts daily.
And Chip,
Great website! Lots of useful direction for me as a newbie to C-22 sailing. I think many of us can identify with the problem of not getting to alot of things because we refocus on a new project. And it's always a special gift when the person you care for most enjoys it with you. like the old story, my girl pretty much feels that there is no way that I can spend time with my boat and still spend quality time with her. Sure gonna miss her!
Bob Figueroa Sr.
Islip Terrace, NY

Hull No. CTYH51550575

11/10/2004 12:43 PM Pacific Time

What is the best way to remove old numbers from the hull? I recently purchased my boat and have to apply new reg #'s etc. Shows what a rookie I am.
Michael Smalter
Webster, NY

Boat Name: Marrakesh

Model/Year: 1986

Hull No. 13645

Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
11/10/2004 3:56 PM Pacific Time

I had good luck using a window scraper razor blade (very carefully).
Bob Figueroa Sr.
Islip Terrace, NY

Hull No. CTYH51550575

11/10/2004 11:05 PM Pacific Time

Thanks Mike,
I did think of that but was afraid to mar the fiberglass. I also thought of a heat gun but then I thought I might blister the glass. I thought maybe some one knew of a spray or something that would break the adhesive so they could be peeled off. I'm just waiting for warmer day to go at it, as it's been nippy here for the last week.
Bob Figueroa Sr.
Islip Terrace, NY

Hull No. CTYH51550575

11/10/2004 11:44 PM Pacific Time

On the Catalina Sailing Assoc. site I saw the manual for a Cat 22 1977. Does anyone know how different the 77 is from the 75?
Rick Winter
Salem, MA

Boat Name: I'm Knots

Model/Year: Catalina 22/1989

Hull No. 15011

Hailing Port: Salem, MA
11/11/2004 4:28 AM Pacific Time

I had to remove numbers from my hull and used an hair dryer. I lossens up the glue enough so that you can peel the numbers back. Then used a gentle sponge scrub to get rid of any remnants. I woudl highly suggest doing this.

Rick
Marie Musolino
Nags Head, NC

Boat Name: Reality Check

Model/Year: Catalina 22 / 1977/Swing Keel

Hull No. 6869

Hailing Port: Nags Head NC
11/11/2004 4:49 AM Pacific Time

I just bought Goo-off label remover. I came with plastic scrapper. I haven't used it yet - I'll keep you posted as to how it works
Linda Hoffecker
Lancaster, PA

Boat Name: t/c

Model/Year: '82 Cat 22

Hull No. t/c

Hailing Port: Havre de Grace, MD
11/11/2004 8:13 AM Pacific Time

Removing Old Registration Numbers, Letters.
I had the same problem so I got the Goo Off stuff, saturated the decals w/it which didn't do a heck of a lot of good, (or did it?), then, used the razor blade and carefully lifted the numbers...For the residue that was left, I used the Goo Gone and it worked fine. Only made one accidental gouge...oops.
Good Luck.
Buff Decker
Scottsdale, AZ

Boat Name: Princess

Model/Year: 1982

Hull No. 11333

Hailing Port: Lake Pleasant, AZ
11/11/2004 9:08 AM Pacific Time

Hair dryer and a butter knife works great for removing vinyl decals. I've done it several times.

Buff Decker

Alan Parker
Fresno, CA

Boat Name: Shadowfax

Model/Year: 22/1976

Hull No. 5990

Hailing Port: Friant Marina
07/13/2005 5:19 PM Pacific Time

Welcome all!
I am new to sailing as well, I bought my boat 8 short seasons ago (sail fresh water only) and it has been a wonderful experience for me and my family.
I crewed back in 1973 in some regattas - got the bug, wanted a boat, but kept putting it off... for all the new folks, I'm happy for you that you didn't.
The Cat22 is a great family boat...

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / New to Cat 22 sailing!