Miscellaneous

Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / River ice a problem?

Author River ice a problem?

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
11/05/2004 8:07 PM Pacific Time

Any suggestions on keeping my 1982 - 22' Catalina in the river over the winter? It's moored currently and I was going to bring it home for the winter, but it looks like that isn't going to be possible now.

What are the issues with ice buildup on a river and ice build up on the boat? It's moored in the Columbia River. Can the boat be damaged by keeping it in the water?

Gary McLean
Sunrise #10868
Sandy, Oregon
Chip Ford
Marblehead, MA

Boat Name: Chip Ahoy

Model/Year: 1974-Swing Keel

Hull No. CTY032820374

Hailing Port: Marblehead, Mass.
11/06/2004 2:41 AM Pacific Time

Gary, I'm not sure what you mean by "isn't going to be possible now," but if I was you I'd make it happen. I've got a C-22 buddy over in Nahant (Mass.) who's been trying to get his new (replaced) broken keel cable connected so he can winch up his keel and get his boat out for the winter: left with no alternative, we're going to bring his boat around Nahant, across Broad Sound, and up and around Marblehead to get the boatyard to lift it out as soon as the wind stops howling hereabouts. (It's been blowing steady over 25 knots for a week now, since we planned the crossing for last Monday.) His boat's going to come out before the ocean up here has a chance to freeze -- like it did last year, though a rare occurence.

See: http://chipford.com/marblehead_harbor_frozen.htm

I used to live on (big old) wooden boats in a slip in the next harbor over (Beverly) year around. It was roughing it in the winter, the boat covered with electric heaters aboard, and on only a couple occasions did the harbor actually freeze solid enough to walk on -- but the interior of the boat was heated and we were climbing aboard and off enough to keep the hull moving in the water, keeping the ice from forming for a couple inches around the bottom.

See: http://chipford.com/interest.htm

Water, when it freezes, expands. If it freezes solid enough it can crush your hull -- or put enough stress on it to create cracks, leaks ... and then you know what likely will then occur!

I don't know what the current is on your river, but here we have a 9 foot tide, so the water's always moving. But on a river, you've got the additional concern of ice flows.

I'd change "isn't going to be possible now," to "can do, somehow."

Chip Ford --
Marblehead, Mass.
1974 C22 Swing Keel #3282 - "Chip Ahoy"
Chip Ahoy website: www.chipford.com
Mike Bracket
Clinton Twp, MI

Boat Name: Gunsmoke

Model/Year: 1979

Hull No. 9150

Hailing Port: Lake St Clair MI
11/06/2004 4:40 AM Pacific Time

I knew a guy in Manhattan Kansas who left his Venture on a mooring all winter, repeatedly! He would walk out on the ice on sunny days and sit on the boat with a cup of coffee, newspaper and his little dog. Might sit all day. No real damage to the boat but in the spring as the ice breaks up and starts to move around it can really bang the boat around. I would ask around for some help in getting it out before the big freeze.
Joe McElroy
Snoqualmie, Washington

Boat Name: Teasel

Model/Year: 1979 Swing Keel

Hull No. 9014

Hailing Port:
11/06/2004 12:26 PM Pacific Time

Gary,

We're not hearing from anyone in your area. I suspect it doesn't get all that cold where the boat is. Apparently, if you are seeing ice on the river, you must be in a spot without a current. I would be surprised if you ever got enough ice in the water to cause a problem to the boat. As far as the rest of the boat, you need to make sure your cockpit drains stay clean and it is good practice to have a dehumidifier in the cabin. These are low wattage units (like 40 watts), cost almost nothing to run, and keep the interior much drier so that you don't have mold and such getting started.

Tell me more about where you are moored. It looks like pretty industrial sailing. You must be at McCuddy's Marina on Tomahawk Island, is that right? On the map, the town of Sandy looks like a quiet town that is only 20 miles or so from the marina. Is that possible?

Joe
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
11/06/2004 9:20 PM Pacific Time

Ice? On the Columbia river at Portland? Are you kidding? However, for your peace of mind contact Fleet 20. They are one of the large fleets and are in that area. Their address can be found in the MainBrace, the Catalina national Assoc. newsletter. Oh, you're not a member? You can join and get in on the fun at http://catalina22.org
Dick Reynolds
Lebanon, Oregon

Boat Name: Catnip

Model/Year: Swing Keel / 1974

Hull No. 4570

Hailing Port: Newport, Oregon
11/08/2004 8:55 PM Pacific Time

I didn't mean the above to be as flippant as it sounds upon rereading. Joe gives the best advice in my mind. If you're on a mooring with no power the best defense against mildew and mould is ventilation. The biggest danger to your boat is the cockpit drains getting plugged (who knows why. a passing boat throws a newspaper in your cockpit or whatever) and rain fills the boat and it sinks. It would be smart to visit and look at your boat after every storm and see that the waterline stripe is still where it should be. As I said above, fleet 20 is right there and seems to be an active fleet whether you race or cruise. It would be real productive of you to make contact with them. I would join them but I'm over 60 miles away and am checking out the Eugene area.

Boat Name:

Model/Year:

Hull No.

Hailing Port:
12/11/2004 8:28 PM Pacific Time

Thank you all for responding. I'm pulling Sunrise out tomorrow! Thank you Dale Mack, Fleet 20, for the offer to help. Yes, I am a member, but haven't gotten involved with the group yet. I originally had a free, large insulated shop to put her in, but now she will sit in my yard for the next few months. I was hoping to sail her over Christmas/New Years... next year. It will be good to bring her home and still work on the projects I had originally planned to do this winter (new registration, topping lift, pop top power kit, etc.). There usually isn't much of an ice problem on the Columbia, but it does occur. Sunrise is moored at McCuddies at 33rd & Marine. Sandy is about 40 minutes from the boat. Thanks again to you all. It's really great having this forum. gmm

Miscellaneous
Catalina Direct Discussion Topics / Catalina 22 Discussion Area / Miscellaneous / River ice a problem?